Notices

Wastgates... Internal or External?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastgates... Internal or External?

I need some opinions from people experienced with both. I just got my MaxRev manifold and it has a spot for an external 35mm tial wastegate. Origonally I was gonna get an internal wastegate with my turbo because I got the same price for the turbo with or without it basiclly. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just block off the hole on the manifold and use the internal or should I spend the $ on an external wastegate??? I'm planning on running 7-8psi with a t3/t04e turbo. Should I just save my $ and use the internal or spend the money now and get the external so I don't have to worry about if I need it later or not. I have heard that good points with both<ie. ease of installation/esier to adjust/looks better/etc... any opinions would be appreciated... Thanx in advance
Old 12-17-2002, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastgates... Internal or External? (Alstare)

I Say spend the extra money and get the tial wastegate. I've heard nothing but good things from them. It should be fairly easy to adjust the spring with the tial.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Wastgates... Internal or External? (NCH22driver)

Yeah I'm leaning that way I think. Spending the extra few $ isn't a big deal to do everything right. I just want to make sure I'm just not wasting my time and $ for no good reason.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Wastgates... Internal or External? (Alstare)

I have used an internally gated t3 and now I use a t3/t4 w/ stage 3 comp wheel externally gated compliments of a tial 35mm and I would never go back. The internal waste gate would spike sometimes a lb. or drop off a lb. The tial where ever i set it, it goes exactly there and never spikes or drops off
Old 12-18-2002, 11:29 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Wastgates... Internal or External? (spooled b16)

external is the way to go. i might be able to get my internal WG configured properly...HOWEVER at this point the WG port does NOT flow enough to relieve enough pressure to prevent the turbo from spooling. Thats right. I have the WG port WIDE OPEN all the time and I STILL cant control boost. This is on a GReddy td05h-18g with custom downpipe and no cat (for now).

Hopefully I can get the WG ported enough to regulate boost, and then I can use the AEM EMS and the boost control solenoid to get a nice quick spool and address spiking issues. If not, then I am done with this.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Wastgates... Internal or External? (falc0n)

Thanks for the replies... My turbo guy fell through so I'm gonna go with cheapturbos.com and I see they have a X-mas deal on... A combo deal the turbo and tial 35mm together so I'm gonna do that. Thanks.

Question though.. I'm planning on running 7-8psi max. What spring should I get??? Because I'd like to start at about 5psi and then turn it up to 8psi once I'm confident everything is working well.

[Modified by Alstare, 5:21 PM 12/18/2002]