Notices

Wastegate supply tube length (how far from manifold)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wastegate supply tube length (how far from manifold)

I'm curious if it would be detrimental to boost control if the wastegate was located ~6-10 inches off of the collector. I'm dealing with space restrictions and a dual-scroll turbo. As for power, its a sohc and a 57trim t04e wheel in a t3 housing (very unusual hybrid), I'm hoping for 350ish whp max, so upwards of 25psi.

If I had the WG in the optimal position off the manifold, I'd have a Tial sticking out of the hood, literally. Not good. I need opinions before I start modding the AC system.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate supply tube length (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm curious if it would be detrimental to boost control if the wastegate was located ~6-10 inches off of the collector. I'm dealing with space restrictions and a dual-scroll turbo. As for power, its a sohc and a 57trim t04e wheel in a t3 housing (unusual hybrid), I'm hoping for 350ish whp max, so upwards of 25psi.

If I had the WG in the optimal position off the manifold, I'd have a Tial sticking out of the hood, literally. Not good. I need opinions before I start modding the AC system.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would think as long as you have the runner to the wg positioned in a good spot and you have a decent dump tube, it would be alright. Alot of top mount setup's place the wg 4'' or so away...how much can another inch or so hurt?
but size wg is this? 38mm i'm assuming?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate supply tube length (CivicVX94)

The initial plan is for a 38mm, but I have a lot of room in the remote spot for a bigger WG. I too was thinking all it really needs is a good place off the manifold. I've seen people on here have issues with the flange being almost on the collector, so that would lead me to think the tube length isn't the biggest deal.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The initial plan is for a 38mm, but I have a lot of room in the remote spot for a bigger WG. I too was thinking all it really needs is a good place off the manifold. I've seen people on here have issues with the flange being almost on the collector, so that would lead me to think the tube length isn't the biggest deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
very true..so what you're saying is that you have room for a 38mm but want to run a bigger one so need to extent the runner?
can you post pics of your manifold?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wastegate supply tube length (CivicVX94)

All I could fit right onto a runner would be a blitz bov ... no external really fits unless I get some custom AC lines. Picture a topmount that keeps 100% stock AC (with slimfans) in an EG. I'm going with a 3" DP, 4" really wouldn't work. I'm forced into pie-cuts as it is. I've tried a few things, but going from the collector down next to the AC compressor is the only good spot for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I could fit right onto a runner would be a blitz bov ... no external really fits unless I get some custom AC lines. Picture a topmount that keeps 100% stock AC (with slimfans) in an EG. I'm going with a 3" DP, 4" really wouldn't work. I'm forced into pie-cuts as it is. I've tried a few things, but going from the collector down next to the AC compressor is the only good spot for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
haha o **** that's crazy man....wow. I took out my a/c when i did my first swap, i can't imagine trying to get it to fit with a turbo in there too lol
I have a topmount with a 4'' dp and 60mm hks gt2 wg, but i'm swapping the wg out for a synapse one once they're released.
Goodluck getting everything to fit, and I hope someone else chimes in too, but I can't imagine a 6'' runner to the wg hurting performance at all. I'd say go for it