Notices

Wastegate Reference!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate Reference!

Hey HT, I having a hard time deciding on were to Reference my Wastegates from...Here is an older pic of my Turbo/Intercooler, the White X is were my Mac Boost Solenoid is Located, the Red X is were i'd prefer to Reference the Solenoid from(the X's are behind the Intercooler )----Read below pic also...

You can see the spot on the Turbo that can be Tapped for Reference.
However I would prefer to weld a fitting on the back of the Intercooler for Wastegate Reference.
Reasons-- Because the Line from Solenoid to Reference would be Shorter and, I don't care about the Intercooler quite as much as the Turbo...

Secondly, I have had a few people say I should Reference from the "Cold Side" of the Intercooler(because that is were you get "True Boost Pressure")

I just want some opinions before I go chopping into anything YaNOw

Last edited by ThE HeLLRaZoR; 10-12-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate Reference!

Any of those spots would be fine, do it already...

I am EXTREMELY confused why you would "solid" connect the turbo to the intercooler... an essentially moving part versus a fixed part, unless you have SOLID engine mounts?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

its mounted with a wiggins style clamp, which allows for deflection in the coupling... you can see the two machined reliefs for the o-rings on the clamshells

the only thing is at higher pressure levels, you have pressure drop across the intercooler... so at say 20psi (turbo reference) you might see 18 or so in the intake manifold, so you would have to compensate for the drop
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't insult me boy... haha, I must need new glasses! I looked again and still can't see a seam; then again, I should have known due to the ribs. Carry on people, nothing to see here...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I prefer to get my references from as close to the throttle body as possible personally. It will make up for any losses due to the intercooler, and it allows me to be more "accurate" with when my wastegate opens.

That being said, it really doesn't matter. I don't like using the port on the compressor housing though. There is an awful lot of airspeed at that particular point, and high airspeed and small ports don't equate to accuracy.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SovXietday
I prefer to get my references from as close to the throttle body as possible personally. It will make up for any losses due to the intercooler, and it allows me to be more "accurate" with when my wastegate opens.

That being said, it really doesn't matter. I don't like using the port on the compressor housing though. There is an awful lot of airspeed at that particular point, and high airspeed and small ports don't equate to accuracy.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly can't see why you'd want to weld a turbocharger to the intercooler. What's wrong with a silicone hose joiner and two clamps?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=SovXietday;47977112]I prefer to get my references from as close to the throttle body as possible personally. It will make up for any losses due to the intercooler, and it allows me to be more "accurate" with when my wastegate opens. QUOTE]

What do you think of this location? Lower IC Pipe Connects to Upper Pipe
X=Reference.

(Shodan tell me were you'd put it on this Setup. I'd prefer "just Learn" rather then "Learn by Mistakes". Ya'know)

I know it sounds a bit like i'm being a bit of a weddgie. Motor installs are easy, first time setting up a Turbo Setup. So i'd prefer to get it right the first time round
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cold side is fine. Wherever it looks cleanest. Like I said, after the intercooler is best. You'll account for drop in pressure due to the intercooler, and the intake airspeed will be pretty slow relative to everything else. Makes for a nice accurate boost signal.

Don't concern yourself too much with the length of the boost line. The difference between a 1' line and a 3' line is beyond negligible. This is one of those things you really don't have to concern yourself with too much, IMO as long as it's somewhere on the cold side and doesn't leak you're good to go.

I honestly can't see why you'd want to weld a turbocharger to the intercooler. What's wrong with a silicone hose joiner and two clamps?
He didn't, it's a Wiggins/Vanjen style clamp. Wish I would have went with these instead of Vbands :/

Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see, damn, I've never seen anything like that before. Thanks for the diagram.