Wastegate problem, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:10 PM
95GSRTT

Default Wastegate problem, need help

Well I finally went and got my car tuned yesterday. Was there for 10 hours b/c of software issues they were having with their hondata. Anyways I have a 95 LS with stock internals. 440cc RC injectors, 255 walboro fuel pump, hondata 200b, drag 3 manifold, 2.5" downpipe, hollowed out cat, and 2 1/4, MAYBE 2 1/2" cat back. Problem is that my wastegate will not open at all. We got it tuned to 195whp and 175 tq at 6 psi, but the car refused to boost more than that. We turned the boost controlor all the way up to 15 psi, stayed at 6 psi and would never go higher.

Like I said the wastegate never opens and the dump tube is NOT welded to the downpipe. My tuners, who did a ******* badass job on the tuning think its probably a restrictive exhaust that is making it so that my wastegate doesnt open.

My question is, what else is could is possibly be, besides a restrictive exhaust? Especially to be making 70 whp and tq less than it should at around 10 psi which was where i was aiming at.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wastegate problem, need help (95GSRTT)

I personally don't think that's an exhaust problem, I think the problem lies around your wastegate. It seems like the plunger inside of the gate is stuck and not opening for some reason, but if the gate doesn't open that would mean you should be boosting a lot more then 6psi since nothing is being bled out the wastegate. Check the spring in the wg to assure yourself that it has a .5 bar spring which is the 7psi spring. Your setup seems to be perfect, it could be that the spring inside of the WG is not a .5 bar. Maybe you have a leak some place as well . . . there's a couple different things that could be wrong.

Got pics of your setup?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:59 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Wastegate problem, need help (Vtec92Civic)

We played around with the wastegate. Took off the top, changed around the vacuum from the tip nipple to the side one and vice versa. Took off the diaphram thing no rip. WHen we completely took out the spring, it stayed open. We put it back on with some ghetto o rings in there to tighten it and see if that would work. Nadda. It came with a 7 lb spring and is probably closer to a 10 lb spring now.

He was suggesting cutting where the downpipe and cat meet and see if it will increase after that. If it does we know its the exhaust, but at the same time i have ot cut my exhaust to do it. We searched for leaks and couldnt find anything, all the hoses are good. Ill try to get a pic for tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Wastegate problem, need help (95GSRTT)

If the wastegate does not open you will boost a lot. Purpose of the wastegate is to open when you hit your target boost and let out exahust so that your turbo will not boost more than what the wastegate spring will allow. Changing the spring would help on the wastegate. Is it internal or external?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:09 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: Wastegate problem, need help (wzcb08)

Thats the thing. It will NOT open at all, but the car will not boost more than 6 psi. End of story. We tried it soo many different ways, yet it refused to open unless we took out the spring completely. Its an external wastegate on a t3/t04 .60trim turbo. Tial 35mm. I understand what a wastegate is suppose to do. So if its not opening and I can not make more than 6 psi, and yet my car makes the right amount of power and has no problems on the dyno, what else could the problem be? The turbo puts out perfect HP at 6 psi. Like I said 200 whp and 175 lb/tq.

My tuner said its one of the weirdest damn things hes ever seen. It doesnt really make sense that it doesnt open and yet it wont boost higher than 6 psi. Just refuses to. Even when we turned up the boost to 15 psi on the controller.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like there is a leak in the exhaust or charge pipe, and so it cant boost more than 6psi. Either that or the wastegate has a leak somewhere.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 PM

My guess would be that it's not your wastegate. If your wastegate never opens, you should OVERBOOST, not max out at 6 PSI. If you wanna test it, take the wastegate off, and bolt a blocker plate to cover the wastegate opening on your mani. If you boost more than 6, then it's your wastegate. If you don't it's something else.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:53 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (Street_Kings)

Exactly my thoughts. I think Ill check vacuum leaks this weekend. Anybody else have some input on the subject? Also just spoke with him again. Hes thinking the reason that its my exhaust is b/c, he thinks the exhaust is being so restrictive with the backpressure that it wont let the turbo spool more than 6 psi. Anyone else have some thoughts on that?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:57 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (Street_Kings)

Bump, any more opinions on the matter? I got a back pressure test done at the cat and they said its all good.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

I could not go above 8 psi until I went with a free flowing exhaust. Now it will go as high as I like.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:49 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (bluebullet)

BASTARD!! I was hoping I was over that point of view. Well thanks for letting me know. Ill go get the exhaust cut and see if that helps.

Truthfully I dont mind if I have to upgrade the exhaust anyways.