Notices

Vortech on a GSR

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech on a GSR

Does anyone have one on there GSR yet?

How much power to the wheels does it put down with 8psi and 11psi pulley?
Old 04-22-2002, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vortech on a GSR (speedy108)

And where is the cheapest place to buy them?
Old 04-22-2002, 04:15 PM

First off I'm no voretch fan. Turbo will give the same/higher #'s. Just get a drag3
Old 04-22-2002, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

somebody posted here some time ago with a vortech kit on a totally stock gsr and made some 220 hp @ the wheels.
Not bad for stock intake headers and exaust I guess.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Vortech on a GSR (TurboSohc)

First off I'm no voretch fan. Turbo will give the same/higher #'s. Just get a drag3
Old 04-22-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vortech on a GSR (voltronR34)

That would be 220 PEAK HP... the Vortech has to spool up before reaching this power ... while a eaton roots type blower gives more HP and Torque thru-out most of the powerband....
From 1 RPM to 6000 rpm a 6psi Jackson will outpower the Vortech at 7psi !!!
It is not until after 6000 rpm the Vortech takes over....
Which car will run faster at the track? The one with the Jackson... Its all about the area under the curve, not peak HP....
Don't get me wrong, a cetrifugal SC like the vortech has its place with High displacement domestics. It works fine there .... but at 2.0L and under the Vortech is too inefficient...

[Modified by dasher, 2:45 AM 4/23/2002]

[Modified by dasher, 2:46 AM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-22-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Vortech on a GSR (dasher)

[QUOTE]That would be 220 PEAK HP... the Vortech has to spool up before reaching this power ... while a eaton roots type blower gives more HP and Torque thru-out most of the powerband....
Which car will run faster at the track? The one with the Jackson... Its all about the area under the curve, not peak HP....
Don't get me wrong, a cetrifugal SC like the vortech has its place with High displacement domestics. It works fine there .... but at 2.0L and under the Vortech is too inefficient...

I second that...

If you don't want a turbo - do the JRSC
Old 04-22-2002, 07:14 PM

[QUOTE]That would be 220 PEAK HP... the Vortech has to spool up before reaching this power ... while a eaton roots type blower gives more HP and Torque thru-out most of the powerband....

[QUOTE]

the problem with the jrsc is the room for growth. sure you can say that it might be able to keep up with the vortech at 7psi. there are many Si's running 10-12psi with the vortech kit on an internally stock engine. they have also posted many dyno plots...some well over 300whp. you can buy the vortech kit and add basic boltons and have a safe low 13 sec car, or better. sure you can do it also with a turbo, and for cheaper. but i dont think thats a reason to bash the vortech kit for no reason. i think its a nice system.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Vortech on a GSR (ZubzSi)

The Civic Si Kit has a "powercooler" intercooler option....those are the dyno's you are looking at. The GSR kit DOES not offer this option.
So to be fair you would have to compare a JRSC with the water injection "aftercooler" with the Civic SI Kit with the "powercooler"... otherwise you would be comparing apples to oranges.
Regardless this thread is about the Vortech on a GSR...
Upgradeability? Get a bigger pulley and upgrade from 6 to 7, 8 or even higher psi with the JRSC... upgradeability is the same...
Don't get me wrong, I'm not biased.... I can think of a few small advantages a Vortech has ....
-- A JRSC is a self contained unit, with self contained lubrication.... when it goes it needs to be rebuilt... The Vortech is lubricated and cooled with an oil line
so when you change the oil in your car, you change the oil in the Vortech....

To be honest if you want real power I suggest you ditch both of the above and go Turbo

... but Turbo is not for everyone.... and why? I can think of 2 good reasons...

1) Some people want simple power, without having to always monitor their EGT, A/F, and without being easily tempted to turn up the boost on a Turbo.... yes Turbo can be just as reliable as a SC your car, but with Turbo their are more variables to play with....
2) One goes with a SC because one wants a "streetable" car which provides instant acceleration with a nice flat torque curve.

That is why the Vortech fails in my book... It has "Turbine Lag" and at the same time doesn't produce as much power as a Turbo.... It's the worst of both worlds
Old 04-22-2002, 08:55 PM

I thought of one more advantage for a Vortech.... You can polish your SC compressor and make it look pretty if you want your engine bay too look nice and shiny... if you like that sorta thing...

... but honestly folks, I could go on, and on about all the disadvantages with a centrifugal SC on a small displacement engine...
There is a reason there are no production cars with centrifugal sc; only roots-type are to be found.
There is a reason Vortech mainly makes their SC for large displacement domestics... -- only recently have they been making them for imports.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just posted my ideas...https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=171023 .

I think that the heat problems associated with upping the boost on a JSRC (and all Roots type blowers) is why I want the Vortech...among other reasons, which I don't feel like debating...