Notices

Very Rough Idle NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Rough Idle NEED HELP!!

I am having idle issues with my car. I was cruising on the highway one night and I down shifted too far and that shifted the motor causing my alternator belt to flip from the ribbed side. I fixed my alternator belt,charged the battery and started the car. Noticed it had a very rough idle when I started it back up, didnt pay much attention until the next day. I started the car and it automatically jumped to 3 thousand RPMS and would stay there constantly although the car would reach operating temps. Wideband has always read incorrect because of my hood exit exhaust. But before this idle issue it would stay at 7.4 until I actually drive the car then it would read 22.4 but now with the issue it stays at 22.4 Also noticed that I dont have any flame coming from my exhaust anymore whereas it always used to shoot flames. I have been reading a few suggestions but I figured id get some answers from you guys.

Could it be IACV?
FITV?
Also noticed when the car is on the boost gauge reads negative vacuum. I checked for vacuum leaks and I couldnt find one.

Any help is appreciated because this car is frustrating me to death LOL
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: Very Rough Idle NEED HELP!!

Originally Posted by Bonestock98GS
I am having idle issues with my car. I was cruising on the highway one night and I down shifted too far and that shifted the motor causing my alternator belt to flip from the ribbed side. I fixed my alternator belt,charged the battery and started the car. Noticed it had a very rough idle when I started it back up, didnt pay much attention until the next day. I started the car and it automatically jumped to 3 thousand RPMS and would stay there constantly although the car would reach operating temps. Wideband has always read incorrect because of my hood exit exhaust. But before this idle issue it would stay at 7.4 until I actually drive the car then it would read 22.4 but now with the issue it stays at 22.4 Also noticed that I dont have any flame coming from my exhaust anymore whereas it always used to shoot flames. I have been reading a few suggestions but I figured id get some answers from you guys.

Could it be IACV?
FITV?
Also noticed when the car is on the boost gauge reads negative vacuum. I checked for vacuum leaks and I couldnt find one.

Any help is appreciated because this car is frustrating me to death LOL

I'm pretty sure you need to recalibrate the AFR gauge just like how you did it when you first installed it.

Make sure you didn't skip a tooth on the timing belt.

Clean the iacv for a better idle.

Check your map sensor it could of failed it's not common but it could be bad causing a high idle.

If your 2 step isn't working you might have a ignition issue or try resetting the ECU, unplug it for 10 mins or the neg battery terminal.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks man. I am going to go through the steps tomorrow when its warmer. I had a buddy install the wideband and I dont know how he calibrated. Any recommendation on how to calibrate it? I could do it myself I just need the steps
Old 01-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My innovative mtx-l you disconnect the 02 sensor part only(theres a clip about 5 feet from the gauge where the sensor separates) and turn the key on til it reads "E". Turn key off. Plug o2 sensor back in but have it disconnected from the downpipe and turn ignition on(never starting) until it reads 22.4 in open air. Turn key off. Hook sensor completely and into exhaust like its going to stay and start the car leaving it running until it has a reading other than 22.4. That's it. You're good to go.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the timing belt that's not it. I haven't sprayed any brake cleaner around the hoses yet. I'm going to do that today. It's a constant rev at 3000 rpms, if I push the clutch in some it goes down to about 1200 rpms. It drives rough and because of the high idle once I change gears it jerks. I can hear the turbo spool a bit also. Any help please??
Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a major vacuum leak..