Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird Idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what happened

Just changed my old dizzy (bearing was going) for a rebuilt one and now the idle seems to be off. It kinda surges but only for a little bit (twice or so). I did everything step by step as far as TDC and proper positioning goes. I don't think it's because of the dizzy or ignition timing because I knew what I was doing. My idle is a little low, so I need to bring it up to 750rpm. Could this be the problem. Also when I put a load on it (say blower and highbeams, the idle drops and does not come back up or very slowly (maybe alternator?). Any help guy's would be great.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you sure it wasnt doing it before and you just happened to notice it now? chech you IACV and FITV, also the alternator causes a load which slows the motor but it should be able to recover quickly, i would test to see if your alt is goin bad
Old 02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHCD16y8)

It is now harder to start and runs a little rough or speratic. Is this maybe from when I swapped the dizzy's that I was TDC on the exhaust strock and not the compresion. What is the best way to tell that it is on the compression strock? And is the rough start and idle from the ignition timing being off? It just doesn't run like it use to. Anybody else that has had this problem or knows how to fix it, please help!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Re: (Bond)

Does it run a little rough and sometimes bog out/backfire? Check your timing. And dont just say "my timing is right, I know I did it correctly", go get yourself a timing gun, whether it be bought or borrowed, and check your timing.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump! PLEASE!!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it run a little rough and sometimes bog out/backfire? Check your timing. And dont just say "my timing is right, I know I did it correctly", go get yourself a timing gun, whether it be bought or borrowed, and check your timing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It does run rough and when I giver it seems to bog and then all of a sudden it just takes off. And idle is still speratice and weird.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Yeah, me and my brother spent an afternoon ******* around with the timing in his GS-R, sounds like you need to............check your timing. Hell, bring it to a shop and ask them if you can use their timing gun for 15 minutes, doesnt take long to set back to stock if you know what your doing.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

If I did install the distributor at TDC on the exhaust stroke wouldn't that mean that the rotor would be 180 from the 1 sparkplug. If so then that would mean that it would not run right (because the crank would have to be rotated 360 to get it back right?). If not, could this be my problem (other than timing being off?). For what ever reason that this did occur has anybody got a little how to right up for properly installing the dizzy? Please I need lot's a people to help out. This ones got me stumped.

Bump!
Bump!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on! Please help! need a serious bump!
Old 02-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I did install the distributor at TDC on the exhaust stroke wouldn't that mean that the rotor would be 180 from the 1 sparkplug. If so then that would mean that it would not run right (because the crank would have to be rotated 360 to get it back right?). If not, could this be my problem (other than timing being off?). For what ever reason that this did occur has anybody got a little how to right up for properly installing the dizzy? Please I need lot's a people to help out. This ones got me stumped.

Bump!
Bump!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It sounds like you INSTALLED the distributor right, it wouldnt run if you installed it wrong. Your problem could be that the timing ie the position of the rotor in relation to the cap could be out by a couple of degrees. To adjust this you NEED a timing light. Checking the timing is always the first thing you check when you have any ignition related problems, you can not proceed to problem solve until you have done this vital step!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NitrousB.I.G.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NitrousB.I.G. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It sounds like you INSTALLED the distributor right, it wouldnt run if you installed it wrong. Your problem could be that the timing ie the position of the rotor in relation to the cap could be out by a couple of degrees. To adjust this you NEED a timing light. Checking the timing is always the first thing you check when you have any ignition related problems, you can not proceed to problem solve until you have done this vital step!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will check the timing. Would my ignition timing being off cause a jerky acceleration? When I step on it it will jerk and when I let off the gas it jerks too. Also if I am in neutral and I stomp on the gas it shakes really quickly and then revs up. The shake only lasts a fraction of a second. If anybody can help, thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump please.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I will check the timing. Would my ignition timing being off cause a jerky acceleration? When I step on it it will jerk and when I let off the gas it jerks too. Also if I am in neutral and I stomp on the gas it shakes really quickly and then revs up. The shake only lasts a fraction of a second. If anybody can help, thanks in advance. </TD></TR></TABLE>

in short, YES. Check your timing!