Notices

vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included

Got a good deal on a greddy catch can and wanted to run it on my turbo setup.
Will running the lines this way be efficient?
I wont be running a line to vent the can other than atmospheric vent through the mini filter.
I dont want to drill and tap my valve cover/weld, nor do I want to run the back of the block vents unless this route is just not going to help at all.

And will opening up the catch can and dropping in some steel wool or similar product help catch more of the passing oil?

thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (JDMB20TDA)

this is exactly what i want to do as well... i got a top fuel catch can that is essentially the same thing...

bump... for an answer
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (I heart My EF Sedan)

depending on your power level,
id drill out the top for a fitting put the breather there, run the 2 ports to the back of the block, take out the black box, seal the hole.

problem is, it is non recirc. so you will have to empty it.

forced induction faq's:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174

catch can threads:
Information on Catch Cans and how to construct them: (thanks 95gsrcivic)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=766009
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=722482
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=687222
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684673

...and the official crankcase evacuation thread:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935 (thanks dasher)

Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (boostedcivicsir)

making 400 whp right now, just dont have the fittings for the back of the block and would like to install this ASAP.
driveways getting a little oily due to my crank case dump tubes...

so would this would work and at a later date I could order and re-route the vents to the block plugs.

also whats your take on the "steel wool" or similar oil accumulator...
Old 07-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...problem is, it is non recirc. so you will have to empty it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that **** is nasty in a catch can i wouldn't want to recycle it.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (SPOOLINmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOOLINmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that **** is nasty in a catch can i wouldn't want to recycle it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but in the case of only having half a pint of capacity, where is the rest gonna go?

up and out.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (JDMB20TDA)

what size is the hose?

did you hollow out the pcv?

gotta make sure the hose is bigger than the pcv and valve cover vent since they are merging.

also i am worried about everything merging at the T, why not just vent both to the catch can and drill/screw/fit the filter on top? maybe even get a bigger filter?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (oranginal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOOLINmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that **** is nasty in a catch can i wouldn't want to recycle it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

it would normally go back in the engine anyways...

if you keep up on your oil changes, it wont be bad...

that can is rather small, but should work for that power goal... I had a smaller one and when i was at the track it would fill up rather fast...
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it would normally go back in the engine anyways...

if you keep up on your oil changes, it wont be bad...</TD></TR></TABLE>

took the words off my keyboard a vented catch didn't make the oil "different" stilll same oil
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (HybridcivicLS-T)

make a return on the bottom of that can to go back to the block.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (oranginal)

its a 9.5mm (3/8ths) tee'd to a 5/16's? 15mm.
also the pcv valve is no more it is just a 3/8ths hose & hose fitting jammed into the pcv box.

as for the valve cover hole I will just tee the stock 9mm size into the other 9 to the 15...

but what about something to create resistance and catch passing oil vapor? being its non baffled.

I will just drain the can when needed, Its really no big deal... I dont beat on it that often so it wont become a problem.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This seems like it would work pretty well - anyone else care to chime in on this kind of setup for power levels of around 300 to 400 Hp? Also this is what is called an "open loop" setup correct? Another question I have to the OP, did you block off the fitting on the intake manifold for the PCV Valve?

I would like to have mine setup this way as well (I have the same can too lol) so I would like to hear from the OP if it worked out well and also if anyone else with experience can vouche for this method...

BTW, I read somewhere on here that ALOT of people had success using a "loofa" (that shower thingy people use) to baffle the catchcan since it really will not rust etc. like steel wool, etc...

Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (I heart My EF Sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I heart My EF Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is exactly what i want to do as well... i got a top fuel catch can that is essentially the same thing...

bump... for an answer </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got the same catch can you did-Im sure you got it when you ordered some parts for your 240!!! Anyways all i did was take off the top lid where the logo is stamped went and bought an Edelbrock breather used on V8 valve covers. It was 13$ and came with a rubber grommet. So i drilled the lid out with a 1 1/8th hole saw and glued that grommet in pushed in the breather- hooked it all up and there you go you got a vented catch can for 20$.. Ill post pics if you want them
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (rex_racer728)

here is what i did on a customers car with that lame little catch can... it has a drainback to the black box hole.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (DaveF)

sorry for shitty pics, I just hacked open the stock charcoal canister and used it and its mounting bracket to hold my catch can.
breather is in a odd area, but until i drill and tap the can it will just have to do.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that filter is going to be so restrictive
Old 08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oranginal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that filter is going to be so restrictive </TD></TR></TABLE>

well not really but kinda his lines are still big but it's not all the same size

imagine having a big straw then it tapering at the end kinda reminds me of the endyn can. not efficient becuase of the small lines, like a siphon effect

Modified by HybridcivicLS-T at 11:23 PM 8/11/2008
Old 08-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (HybridcivicLS-T)

itll be fine until I drill the can, I just have been dripping oil all over the place with my vent lines just shitting on the street.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love it, use what you have. i dont see the point in spending 100's on a catchcan. i used a acetone jug for mine, jb weld and some fitting from the hardware store plus some tranny cooler hose. cost less than 20 bux and looks great once it was all painted
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vented greddy catch can? is this setup going to work? pics included (raiden571)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raiden571 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i love it, use what you have. i dont see the point in spending 100's on a catchcan. i used a acetone jug for mine, jb weld and some fitting from the hardware store plus some tranny cooler hose. cost less than 20 bux and looks great once it was all painted</TD></TR></TABLE>

Raiden can u tell us how exactly did you set yours up? You mentioned something about using the fitting on the back of the block in my other post... how effective is yours? Thx.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where the stock catchcan is on the back of the block, i put 90 degree barbed fittings in it and ran them to a smaller catchcan, similar to the greddy one. i also use the valve cover and the two ports on the back of the engine and ran them to a 3/4 gallon catch can which was once an acetone jug from my local parts store. on top of the jug i used one of those large V8 style pcv filters and hollowed out the inside to give it a bigger diameter opening.
i just used jb weld to put the fittings on the side of the can, then i just painted the can black. when i get back home i will try and get a picture up.
its nothing super fancy, but it seems to work great. the can does fill up, but being that its so big, i dont really have to worry about it until it gets really full. i havent had any smoking problems, and no oil burping out of the filter.
its not just a sunday driver either, its either getting beat on the highway or on the road course, and it holds up fine