Notices

Valve cover venting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve cover venting

So Im wondering if you have to use two fittings to vent you valve cover? I had one done on the front corner passanger side of the vc will this be ok to release pressure? Also it's just a stock ls turbo 270 whp thanks ht
Old 03-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve cover venting

?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can I ruN one vent or must it b 2
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 call it done
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are **** loads of threads on this, have a little search.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I searched really FOund nothing I think one vent should be fine I'm not maken a ton of pwr it would jus be a little more ventilation thank stock
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is not exact answer to this. one is fine, two is better, some people run four. as long as you have it running to an open catch can, anything is better than the stock pcv system.

i ran my stock gsr at 270whp with completely stock pcv and a filter on the vc for 2 years with no issues.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect answer I was looking for thanks d always come through with good answers
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey the 11nty millionth valve cover/catch can thread.

That's funny I did one search for vented valve cover and the 1st thing to pop up was this... https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ed+valve+cover
Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sc34dc4
Hey the 11nty millionth valve cover/catch can thread.

That's funny I did one search for vented valve cover and the 1st thing to pop up was this... https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ed+valve+cover
while i agree with your frustration, the link you posted doesn't really answer the OP's question. he wanted to know if his setup is adequate for his power level. i think he will be fine with what he has
Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been searching for a VERY long time and still don't have a proper answer to the following question. Why do so many forced induction Honda owners shy away from using any vacuum from the pre-turbo intake pipe? Isn't using that as a source of vacuum the best way to pull crankcase pressure out? God knows how many threads I went through here and only found one person in agreement. I started looking at dsm and some independent forums and found the same answers over there.

On my old turbo f22b2, I had a basic setup. Where the stock setup had a VC port that ran to my intake piping was now a 3/8" line going into my breather tank. I then took the VC port where the PCV is and ran that to the second port on the breather tank while capping the IM and removing the PCV with a hollow fitting. Was there enough vacuum in this setup to "suck" pressure out? I was smoking a little at idle so maybe I had problem somewhere? valve seats?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two things to note:1) These VC's don't have baffling (maybe that alone prevents some smoking 2) It was less smoking and more of a light vapor steam combo...idk if that matters.

It seems that no matter how many times I dive into finding the answers for PCV systems, I end up more confused.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accord_raffi
I have been searching for a VERY long time and still don't have a proper answer to the following question. Why do so many forced induction Honda owners shy away from using any vacuum from the pre-turbo intake pipe? Isn't using that as a source of vacuum the best way to pull crankcase pressure out? God knows how many threads I went through here and only found one person in agreement. I started looking at dsm and some independent forums and found the same answers over there.
i think one reason people stay away from it is because its a bit more complicated, not many of us even have any type of intake pipe. mostly its just a filter on the turbo. or no filter at all for most race cars. also the b-series has the rear block ports that make for two easy vents/drains.

Originally Posted by accord raffi
On my old turbo f22b2, I had a basic setup. Where the stock setup had a VC port that ran to my intake piping was now a 3/8" line going into my breather tank. I then took the VC port where the PCV is and ran that to the second port on the breather tank while capping the IM and removing the PCV with a hollow fitting. Was there enough vacuum in this setup to "suck" pressure out? I was smoking a little at idle so maybe I had problem somewhere? valve seats?
i don't see any vacuum assist in that setup. you just had two lines off the valve cover to the catch can. depending on the power level, the lines may have been too small
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
i think one reason people stay away from it is because its a bit more complicated, not many of us even have any type of intake pipe. mostly its just a filter on the turbo. or no filter at all for most race cars. also the b-series has the rear block ports that make for two easy vents/drains.

i don't see any vacuum assist in that setup. you just had two lines off the valve cover to the catch can. depending on the power level, the lines may have been too small
It makes sense to me that dedicated race cars won't take advantage of it because they aren't in low load driving for very long so they deal with minimal vacuum. My power levels were far below 200whp so I wasn't worried about the line size tooo much. Just by having the engine running, isn't vacuum created? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you removed the pcv, there is no vacuum inside the valve cover. you would have to run a line to the intake or exhaust to possibly create some vacuum
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if I ever retrofit a turbo onto a honda again, I'll probably look into making a preturbo intake pipe and weld a fitting on there as my vacuum source. It's not that much trouble...unless I have a block that can exchange the freeze plugs for vent ports.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rs250nut
There are **** loads of threads on this, have a little search.
yea, theres a thread in here and in the welding/fab forum

clearly you suck at searching.

most people run 2 10-an lines to a catch can and call it done. high hp guys tend to run 4.

dont forget the two fittings on the back of the block as well, depending on your catch can setup some people run one to vent pressure and the other as a drainback from the can.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by accord_raffi
Well if I ever retrofit a turbo onto a honda again, I'll probably look into making a preturbo intake pipe and weld a fitting on there as my vacuum source. It's not that much trouble...unless I have a block that can exchange the freeze plugs for vent ports.
you'd still be sucking oil vapors and crankcase byproducts back into the intake tract which contaminates the incoming charge air... either leave it as an open system, or get the kit from summit that vents crankcase vapors into the downpipe.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
you'd still be sucking oil vapors and crankcase byproducts back into the intake tract which contaminates the incoming charge air... either leave it as an open system, or get the kit from summit that vents crankcase vapors into the downpipe.
If you were using a vacuum source, wouldn't that be solved by using a sealed catch can (w/baffles) inline with the preturbo intake. You could even place one inline with the pcv valve line to the IM if you wanted to keep it. If you ditch the PCV valve, you could just route like 2 hoses going to the VC and 2 going to the preturbo intake pipe...You can stop contaminates from reentering the intake tract while using a vacuum source.

After all the money spent to retrofit a turbo on a honda, why not spend $0-40 to have a couple ports welded to some piping for a vacuum source?