Notices

are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type?

Old 08-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type?

i have been reading all kinds of hack settings but all i see are peopel posting their settings for b18b motors or d16z6 motors but i have not seen anyone with b18c1 settings. i was wondering does it matter how you adjust the settings on the afc depending on your engine? i dont want to use teh b18b or d16 settings on my gsr motor and blow something up. i even went to that website teh DROPSHOP that shows the original settings but it seems like he has posted settings for a single cam motor. can anyone shed some advice on my paranoya?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (nextelbuddy)

it will be diffrent. set it at -35% across the board and then starting from idle street tune it the best you can until you can get it tuned with a wideband.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (b16aturbopwrd)

is there anyone on here that is using the hack on a b18c1 that can please share their settings
Old 08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (nextelbuddy)

i have put some settinging on homemadeturbo.com you might find some starter setings there.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think settings are dependant on stock injector and replacement injector size...
Old 08-20-2003, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (ash.zero)

my bad i need the settings from some one on here that is running dsm 450 injectors on stock map sensor on a b18c1. if anyone can please share their afc settings on that setup thanx
Old 08-20-2003, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bad i need the settings from some one on here that is running dsm 450 injectors on stock map sensor on a b18c1. if anyone can please share their afc settings on that setup thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats how you can blow up your motor. Each engine is going to be different. If someone gave you their settings it could be rich or lean in some spots for your application. You must get on the dyno and tune it to your engine. Just set it to -35% across the board and go to the dyno and tune it.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:30 AM

The hack has been done on many types of Honda engines. Once you understand the concept of the hack, (if u've done enough research on this board) you will see that it doesn't matter what engine you have and no two settings are the same even though if you've got the same engine. You can use the same settings if you got identical setup on the same engine just to get you by until you get it on the dyno unless you got an afr device so you can monitor the a/f ratio while you are setting the fuelling up. The fuel trim depends primarily on the injector size that you are using.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (swlabhot)

I currently use the hack on my stock B18C1. I used it originally over a year ago on my D16Y8, and the settings were completley different. Then I was rusing RC 440cc injectors and used an idle of -45% and eventually riched the high end of the mixture to about -38%. On the GS-R (with DSM 450's), I'm using -40% to idle it and running as rich as -27% on the high end.

The amount of trim you run on the hack will depend on the motor, injector size, and boost level. The more boost you run, the more limited you are in how much trim you can/cannot run. Remember, as the boost goes up, so does the voltage signal at the MAP sensor, so the more fuel you have to pull out of the motor via the AFC, and of course you don't want to pull too much out and cause a lean condition.

I strongly reccomend you pay a few bucks and get a couple passes on a dyno with a wideband O2 to see exactly how your car is taking the hack. I've seen cars run extremley rich with it, but you'll need to know precisley how much trim you can use and how much boost with it. I know it sounds a little complicated, but just re-read what I just wrote a few times and I think you'll understand.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (VTC_CiViC)

so say I plan on running 7-10 psi...on the dyno should they tune the AFC it for 10 psi even if on my daily commute I'll only be running around 7 or 8?? is that too big of a gap to have one set of settings? any insight on that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTC_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The amount of trim you run on the hack will depend on the motor, injector size, and boost level. The more boost you run, the more limited you are in how much trim you can/cannot run. Remember, as the boost goes up, so does the voltage signal at the MAP sensor, so the more fuel you have to pull out of the motor via the AFC, and of course you don't want to pull too much out and cause a lean condition. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-20-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (DA-MAX)

If you can safley fuel the car with your injectors/boost combo at 10psi, anything under that should be fine.

Aim high and run low
Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: are the VAFC hack settings particular to the engine type? (b16aturbopwrd)

yea, thats what i did