Notices

Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 03:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe?

Has anybody ever used the 1/8" hole in their T3 downpipe flange as a tap for an EGT gauge? It likes up perfect with the hole on the turbo. I'd have to make the hole bigger and rethread it to make it work but it SHOULD work. In my little turbo n00b world at least. Has anybody else ever done this? It makes sense to me. I just don't feel like tapping my nice stainless inlinepro manifold for the probe. Also since it'll be right there at the inlet of the turbo it should get a much more acurate reading than if I hooked it in somewhere in the downpipe. Anybody?
Here's a cheesy pic I just took
Old 06-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (IslandSi)

Sure it might fit but EGT probes should really be before the turbo. The idea is to measure combustion chamber temperatures by sampling the exhaust gas. The further away from the exhaust ports, the more the exhaust has cooled. Especially after a turbo or a catalytic converter. Ive always read the ideal location is 3" from your exhaust port on your hottest cylinder (usually #3 on a Honda) Your trading accuracy for ease of installation by installing it there.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:49 PM
H-T White Ops

It would be before the turbo. The probe would be sitting right before the exhaust gases hit the exhaust blades. I'm using a cast stainless inlinepro manifold so I can keep my AC. The distance from the exhaust ports to where the probe would only be about 6". See what I'm asking?
Old 06-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

you could put it there with no problems. The only difference is that your temperature are gonna be lower than closer to the head. On my gs-r, i have it on the downpipe. On my talon, i have it 3" from the head.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:43 PM
DC2
Honda-Tech Member

I run my EGT probe in this same fashion. No problems whatsoever aside from not getting an accurate reading as much as tapping it into one of the exhaust runners. I would tap it into the runner if my DRAG manifold wasn't so prone to cracking.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:25 PM
H-T White Ops

So about how much of a drop would I be looking at by tapping into the WG hole compared to tapping into the good 'ole hot #3 runner? Maybe 100* max?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

what about in a downpipe that has a bung for an o2 sensor
Old 06-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sitting with the same problem...where the hell to put my EGT gauge. drag mani...I don't wanna risk it. You just gave me a new idea tho...I think its a good one, anybody else done this or think it would be a good idea.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (pushinlsteg)

well i wouldnt do it because what happenens if the probe breaks off? It goes right into the turbine blades not the greatest thing at 10psi crossing the 60ft line at the drag strip the best place on a honda has been determened (i think) as 4in from the #3 runner in the manifold, still not ultra safe but it gives the best reading. After the turbo is a option but it will react slower and give probally a 200-300* difference in reading
Old 06-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (Sideout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sideout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i wouldnt do it because what happenens if the probe breaks off? It goes right into the turbine blades not the greatest thing at 10psi crossing the 60ft line at the drag strip the best place on a honda has been determened (i think) as 4in from the #3 runner in the manifold, still not ultra safe but it gives the best reading. After the turbo is a option but it will react slower and give probally a 200-300* difference in reading</TD></TR></TABLE> Its 2in from the head on the number 3 runner if you have seen a probe then you will see it VERY unlikely to break.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (turbozxi)

i know I'm just saying if it ever did, just playing devil's advocate
Old 06-27-2004, 02:15 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (Sideout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sideout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i wouldnt do it because what happenens if the probe breaks off? It goes right into the turbine blades not the greatest thing at 10psi crossing the 60ft line at the drag strip the best place on a honda has been determened (i think) as 4in from the #3 runner in the manifold, still not ultra safe but it gives the best reading. After the turbo is a option but it will react slower and give probally a 200-300* difference in reading</TD></TR></TABLE>

I kinda see where you're coming from, but what difference does it make if the probe breaks off right in front of the wheel or if it breaks off 4" before it and then gets blown down into the wheel from the exhaust pulses?
I've made up my mind. I'm going to go ahead and install it in the flange. Might be a couple more weeks for all my parts to show up. I'll have pics posted when she's done.
Thanks guys.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe I'm going to do the exact same thing, thanks for pointing out this great idea.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a picture of your downpipe right? But in your first reply to my post you said it would be before the turbo.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:57 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats a picture of your downpipe right? But in your first reply to my post you said it would be before the turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The probe WILL be before the actual turbine wheel. If I use that WG hole the probe will be about 2" downstream from the inlet of the turbo. So the EGT will be sensed before it hits the wheel. If you look at the pic and notice where the hole is on the turbo you'll see what I'm saying.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine in the exact same place not one prob i fine the egt's are about the same as above in the runners manybe u loose a few Fo
Old 06-28-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Using internal WG hole for EGT gauge probe? (JDMCRX)

I'm going to try it. Thanks for the idea!