Update to vafc hack

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (m R g S r)

the afc hack does suck but I really liked the inline pro back in the day set up with the 450's their head gasket and a FMU. I ran 17psi on the stock bottom end on race gas for 2 years back in the day and it never blew up
Old 06-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91civicDXdude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is nothing wrong with using it especially temporary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you were to sift through all the bullshit threads in the archive, you'd actually find a LOT of posts by "real" tuners (paid by a shop to tune) that have a person bring in a car or just motor to be rebuilt or boosted - and having to junk the entire motor. The reason for the damage is always "I only boosted on it a little" or "I tried a basemap" or "I was using the vafc hack for a while".

Your bearings will not **** the bed during the first hint of detonation, but it will hurt them. Do it enough, and it starts a death spiral and spins a bearing. If you really are hard-pressed to use the VAFC till your tune date, do it right: install a basemap of crome/uber, don't use a missing link/fmu, use the fuel trims if the basemap is too far lean or rich. People boosting until they're tuned is like that teen couple that just can't wait to get a condom or let the pills start working. 5 years later they're STILL paying - hospital bills, babysitters, diapers... Yes, a blown motor can happen to you, you're not special.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostR41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the afc hack does suck but I really liked the inline pro back in the day set up with the 450's their head gasket and a FMU. I ran 17psi on the stock bottom end on race gas for 2 years back in the day and it never blew up</TD></TR></TABLE>

Race gas = LEADED 116 octane in most cases. People will be stuck at low 400's on pump, then with C16 they can get another 100-200whp on the same setup. It probably was a decent match since leaded race gas can use so much more timing. Pump gas does not, so you're compairing apples to grapes.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

Humm, Are you sure that the vafc changes timing? cause i have never hurd that, an i figured i know about everything there is to know about that dam vafc cause i hav e had 4 different cars with them. An i put each one in too!

So can someone drop some good info in?! Dose the vafc change timing at all? Cause if it dose where dose it say that in the instructions?..... confused!
Old 06-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2-3) I have heard using an AFC Advances your ignition timing, is this true?
Yes. This is very true. How when the AFC is not connected to your distributor? It all lies in the fundamental basis of how the AFC works. Visualize this, You have a grid of say 15 x 17. This is your OBD0 (10x20 for OBD1) ignition table. As we know, the AFC scales down the MAP sensor input to the ECU, thus, shrinking the resolution of the ignition map to fit more points in the same space. Now, if we look at what happends when we are in vacuum, this part of the table is squeezed into the left most half of the ignition map. If you have ever looked at an ignition table before, you'll notice that this is the most radically advanced section of the table!! This is how your AFC decreases fuel (same thing happends on the fuel table, and to increase, it scales everything to the right part of the table)!! To compensate for this advance in timing, some of used a BTM (Boost Timing Master), retarded their static ignition timing at the distributor, or even chipped thier ECU and modified the ignition table itself.

it only does this when you are using it for the "hack". under normal use it doesnt affect timing
Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riddlinkid1986)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riddlinkid1986 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Humm, Are you sure that the vafc changes timing? cause i have never hurd that, an i figured i know about everything there is to know about that dam vafc cause i hav e had 4 different cars with them. An i put each one in too!

So can someone drop some good info in?! Dose the vafc change timing at all? Cause if it dose where dose it say that in the instructions?..... confused!</TD></TR></TABLE>

god damn do some research!!!!!! thats what we have said in this thread didnt we?? thats what we have been saying for yeeears.

its not exactly the vafc itself changing the timing, its the honda ecu!!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the AFC does affect timing. It's not something you can directly adjust via the AFC interface, so it's not going to be in the manual. However, any time you alter the MAP signal in order to get the ECU to modify the injector pulses, you're also going to shift the timing maps. With the AFC Hack, the way it's supposed to be run, you're setting fuel trim to ~-30-40% in order to idle larger-than-stock injectors(typically DSM 450s). In doing so, you're also severely shifting the timing maps.