Notices

twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must?????

just wondering is it possible to use a single wastegate set-up on a twin entry turbo??

almost all the cars running twin entry t4's here in H-T are running a twin wastegate set up.

not trying to cheap out or anything just thinking of using a single tial 60mm over twin 38's (less parts less maintenance) since i wouldnt mind routing 2 pipes to a single wastegate

your insights plz

im talking about set manifolds like these

Modified by wabaki at 6:08 AM 5/6/2008
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (wabaki)

first, what kind of power are you looking to make?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thw run 2 waste gates because it is a twin scroll turbo 2 exhaust ports per entry, to run a single wastegate would mean that you would be running all 4 runners to that port then to the turbo. Therefor defeating the purpose of having a twin scroll turbo.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am using a single 60mm on my twin scroll manifold. i am using two runners to it with a divider all the way to the valve and it works better than any wastegate setup combo i have ever used.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (robbieshonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by robbieshonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thw run 2 waste gates because it is a twin scroll turbo 2 exhaust ports per entry, to run a single wastegate would mean that you would be running all 4 runners to that port then to the turbo. Therefor defeating the purpose of having a twin scroll turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would it defeat the purpose of running a twin scroll turbo??? even on a twin wastegate setup, both wastegates reference the same source and open at the same time, so how is that any different then just routing both sides to one gate???
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (chimmike)

chimike, 800whp which is more than enough for a tial 60mm

turbotypeR@spec, any pictures?? pls post pics of your manifold

I.C.C., we are on the same page here
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wabaki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chimike, 800whp which is more than enough for a tial 60mm

turbotypeR@spec, any pictures?? pls post pics of your manifold

I.C.C., we are on the same page here</TD></TR></TABLE>
not great pics, but here you go:

Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (I.C.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I.C.C. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why would it defeat the purpose of running a twin scroll turbo??? even on a twin wastegate setup, both wastegates reference the same source and open at the same time, so how is that any different then just routing both sides to one gate???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bad info was thinking something else. Thanks for pointing that out. We are running twin 44mm with a 40r turbo on one car was thinking about running a single larger wg. But the Mani was only offered in twin wg.

OP:What manifold are you running? and what turbo? The one in the pic looks like a fullrace topmount with twin 44's which would be over kill on a smaller turbo 30r or smaller.

But from the little time I spent looking into it there is a small bit of backpressure from running a single wg but nothing major.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (robbieshonda)

Turbotyper@spec thank you for the pics that car is insane what turbo are you using

robbieshonda, il be running an s372

i might try running a single wastegate glad to see some real world testing
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldn't advise a 60, it's huge and the highest spring pressure is only 1.048bar so unless you want to run very low boost or use C02, stick with the 44...one 44 with proper placement/priority will be fine
Old 05-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wabaki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbotyper@spec thank you for the pics that car is insane what turbo are you using

robbieshonda, il be running an s372

i might try running a single wastegate glad to see some real world testing</TD></TR></TABLE>
bullseye 372 r cover

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TiAL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldn't advise a 60, it's huge and the highest spring pressure is only 1.048bar so unless you want to run very low boost or use C02, stick with the 44...one 44 with proper placement/priority will be fine</TD></TR></TABLE>
i am using the large blue spring(.673 bar) and i have gotten it to 38 psi and still have alot of duty cycle to go

Modified by turbotypeR@SPEC at 7:11 AM 5/7/2008
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (turbotypeR@SPEC)

the largest spring on the 60mm is only 1.048 bar? wtf
Old 05-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (boosted k20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted k20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the largest spring on the 60mm is only 1.048 bar? wtf</TD></TR></TABLE>
why do you need any more than that. 1 bar blows the tires off in first gear anyway
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (turbotypeR@SPEC)

s372 S cover
Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 AM

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (TiAL)

so a single 44mm wastegate is all i need for the s372 which is a fairly big turbo?

i have one lying around i might try it
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd probably want the WG in the perfect place if you want to control low boost with a large turbo like you're thinking, but it might work out since it would probably creep in 1st gear. The consensus is that the fast ramp-up in power is usually what spins the tires, rather than raw power, in lower gears.

A 60mm would still allow for controlling 25-30psi with the 1bar spring, since you won't have a whole lot of exhaust pressure with a divided T4 setup (vs a divided T3 setup).
Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (HiProfile)

with a twin scroll setup you have to run dual wastegates. Single scrolls will run 1 wastegate.

There is no purpose trying to run a single wastegate with a twin scroll manifold.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (archull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by archull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with a twin scroll setup you have to run dual wastegates. Single scrolls will run 1 wastegate.

There is no purpose trying to run a single wastegate with a twin scroll manifold.

Do it right or don't do it at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>so the yoparts integra is not done right
Old 05-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by archull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with a twin scroll setup you have to run dual wastegates. Single scrolls will run 1 wastegate.

Do it right or don't do it at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

u could run two tubes off each side of the manifold and join them into one for the 60mm gate. this is what im doing on a Neukin manifold.

for the 60mm gate, since the largest spring is about 1bar, u might run into issues with boosting 30+ psi???
Old 05-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on your method of boost control. I have seen people running a 6 or 7 psi spring, but running 30+ psi boost and people running 11-13psi springs and 40+psi boost.. The Co2 works, but there are other methods and types of controllers that work just as well and dont need to be refilled
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do it right or don't do it at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>
wrong. one wastegate will woek fine if setup properly.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: twin wastegate set up for twin entry turbo a must????? (boosted k20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted k20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

u could run two tubes off each side of the manifold and join them into one for the 60mm gate. this is what im doing on a Neukin manifold.

for the 60mm gate, since the largest spring is about 1bar, u might run into issues with boosting 30+ psi???</TD></TR></TABLE>
i am using a 9 psi spring and i am not having any issues making as much boost as i want.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Since the start of this thread i have seen a lot of succesful twin scroll single wastegate set ups. (turbotyper@spec being the best of them)

my point is i want to run a single wastegate because i still belive in the less parts less breakage idea. im sure the twin wastegate setup works wonders but not really necessary so for now i will try it and if dosent work well then all i have to do is get another 48mm