Notices

turbocharged PROS AND CONS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbocharged PROS AND CONS

I have been an all motor for long time and was out of the game for a while. About a month ago, just bought a dc2 with type R engine etc. At this time I ve been thinking to turbocharge. I would go through all the necessary to avoid the " time bomb".

I wanna know what are the pros and cons of turbocharged. Like i think i have heard and read that there might have some overheat issues, heating problem, lots of maintenances ?
It also makes lots of power, etc. And anything of what to expect etc. I just want hear anything about the turbocharge thing, especially for the noob like me, that way I would know what to expect and not to "realized " anything in the process and not to regret it. As for high horsepower wise, its my desire ,thats why I want to go on that route.

I would prefer to hear some feedbacks from the experienced ones. Thanks

Last edited by b20VTEC MONSTER; 08-09-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbocharged PROS AND CONS

my philosophy is once the turbo spools the BS ends!!! hahaha...

turbos are alot of fun, they make awesome power if you pick the right one for your setup, I have never had any overheating issues personally but I did cut a vent in my hood just to help.

for starters you need to pick what kind of power you want to get out of the motor then edit your post with that info for some real help from the Honda-Tech wizards...
Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

overheating can be an issue but the key to that is to build your turbo setup around a good cooling system not the other way around then you should be fine.

ie: good puller fan (spal), aluminum radiator, a good shrouding system. heat wrap and turbo blanket are a plus too.

as for the turbo setup, do it right the first time and buy quality parts.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civichbsi
overheating can be an issue but the key to that is to build your turbo setup around a good cooling system not the other way around then you should be fine.

ie: good puller fan (spal), aluminum radiator, a good shrouding system. heat wrap and turbo blanket are a plus too.

as for the turbo setup, do it right the first time and buy quality parts.
agreed. and remember, the more power you want, the more often things are gonna break.
dont build a drag car that you drive on the street, it will just turn into headaches and spending more money.
i had the most fun with my 100% stock sohc build with a small turbo. no problems and was quick.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will say this. yes you will have more bugs to work out with a turbocharged set up. you wont keep playing with it. once all the little things are worked out. it is more than worth it.

More time and effort for a faster car or less time and effort for N/a. N/a has its limits, when it comes to turbo's the limits are usually never reached.

its like trying to impress a hot chick and getting laid or just settling up with the fat one. but once you touch the hot chick there is no going back to the fat one.

as for overheating, that has to do with timing, proper fluids and big enough radiator/fan and a FMIC
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raiden571
agreed. and remember, the more power you want, the more often things are gonna break.
dont build a drag car that you drive on the street, it will just turn into headaches and spending more money.
i had the most fun with my 100% stock sohc build with a small turbo. no problems and was quick.
QFT. decide on your goals and build accordingly. keep your setup as simple as possible, buy quality parts, build it and TUNE it right the 1st time and you'll be fine.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I have read a very similar thread regarding the same questions...

The good = power, and finally being able to smoke those shitty all seasons that you had for years because your all motor setup can barely spin them

The bad = Wallet becomes significantly lighter. There will never be enough HP, so you'll realize that when the money stops, so does the HP. Never try to get more HP than your pay grade.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not only that. but remember that alot of guys you see building these sick builds hardly ever drive there cars except to and from the track or car shows. rarely do you see the 500whp honda civic rolling on the streets with zero problems and 100% reliability, it just isnt feasible. there will always be a weak link with a high power car.

i made the mistake of driving a 400+whp car for over a 2-3years every day. i beat the **** out of it and it was fun, but i spent a lot of money on maintaining the car, fixing parts that would routinely go bad like cv joints, constantly monitoring the fluids, running strictly high octane gas, purchasing new tires ever 6 months or so, it just got really old.

if i built another high power honda it would be strictly a toy for the track, otherwise stick with a solid/simple build.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raiden571
not only that. but remember that alot of guys you see building these sick builds hardly ever drive there cars except to and from the track or car shows. rarely do you see the 500whp honda civic rolling on the streets with zero problems and 100% reliability, it just isnt feasible. there will always be a weak link with a high power car.

i made the mistake of driving a 400+whp car for over a 2-3years every day. i beat the **** out of it and it was fun, but i spent a lot of money on maintaining the car, fixing parts that would routinely go bad like cv joints, constantly monitoring the fluids, running strictly high octane gas, purchasing new tires ever 6 months or so, it just got really old.

if i built another high power honda it would be strictly a toy for the track, otherwise stick with a solid/simple build.
I agree about that too.. I daily drove my first setup about the same length of time till the car was stolen and stripped. Its obviously going to take a good bit more money and work to keep a turbo car on the road daily.

Since the car was stolen I got another daily driver (completely stock 91 integra) then the car was recovered. Now that Ive rebuilt the turbo car I still have a daily driver. This way if anything breaks on the turbo car I can still get to work and fix the problems when I am willing to spend the money.

Now in my opinion thats the best way to do it. You won't have to drive and park the car anywhere you aren't comfortable leaving it.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
I think I have read a very similar thread regarding the same questions...

The good = power, and finally being able to smoke those shitty all seasons that you had for years because your all motor setup can barely spin them

The bad = Wallet becomes significantly lighter. There will never be enough HP, so you'll realize that when the money stops, so does the HP. Never try to get more HP than your pay grade.
haha tony, my thoughts exactly!!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pros-power when you hit the throttle, you dont have to refill a bottle,you can make the
guy with a V8 wonder how he got beat by a 4bannger, lots of fun

cons-money you spend doing it, money you spend fixing things you break, making every
thing fit(with my setup i lost a/c and p/s)