Notices

turbo timer issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo timer issues and questions

How long to idle down with a turbo timer?

The fan in my car stays on only when the engine is on, or the ignition is on.

So, it seems like if the car is really hot, if you were to run the turbo timer for too long, all of the coolant would heat up without the fan, possibly even overheat on a hot day.

Is there a way to hot wire the fan to stay on with the turbo timer countdown? This would be the best solution, I think.

My car idles a little high 1000 rpm to 1100 rpm, as this was the only way I could get it to idle without dying at stoplights. And this, I am sure has something to do with the heating up of the coolant, since the engine is under more load than at 750 rpm.

This is only a problem if I run the turbo timer close to 10 minutes.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo timer issues and questions (Buster T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Buster T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How long to idle down with a turbo timer?

The fan in my car stays on only when the engine is on, or the ignition is on.

So, it seems like if the car is really hot, if you were to run the turbo timer for too long, all of the coolant would heat up without the fan, possibly even overheat on a hot day.

Is there a way to hot wire the fan to stay on with the turbo timer countdown? This would be the best solution, I think.

My car idles a little high 1000 rpm to 1100 rpm, as this was the only way I could get it to idle without dying at stoplights. And this, I am sure has something to do with the heating up of the coolant, since the engine is under more load than at 750 rpm.

This is only a problem if I run the turbo timer close to 10 minutes.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think 10 minutes is way too much.. i decided not to use turbo timer..

instead i drive in vacuum before parking, then let the car idle for around 30 seconds.. maybe 60 at most.. and call it a day.

i see turbo timers like many "As seen on TV" products.. convinient, but not necessary.. kinda like 2 liter soda handle, - you can still pour soda without one..

this thread is kinda helpful: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=572628
Old 09-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo timer issues and questions (vtec.dc2)

Yeah, I would just ditch it... K.I.S.S. It's just one more thing to worry about, I've never used a timer and don't plan on ever using one.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:20 AM

Default Re: turbo timer issues and questions (mskibbz-T)

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I only like it because it has buttons. Idling down for anything longer than a minute is a bad idea when the fan has shut off
Old 09-06-2003, 12:27 AM

Default Re: turbo timer issues and questions (Buster T)

if the fan does not function normally with a turbo timer, than it is incorrectly installed.

turbo timers are great, because you can shut off your car after a very spirited run, and give the turbocharger components time to cool off.

If you have driven spirited (under boost or accelerating through the gears) even ONCE through the gears, or driving in 4-5th gear, i would recommend idling the car down (immediately after the driving) for 3-5 minutes to allow the components to cool.

If you dont belive they stay hot like that, go on a spirited drive on the freeway at night for a few miles, pull off to the side of the road, and pop your hood.

For driving around town, i set my turbo timer to 30 seconds, because i usually am doing slow driving for ample time to let the components cool (if i boost a bit) and spin down.

Freeway driving regardless of where im going i like to allow 5-10 minutes of time (after i get off the freeway mind you) to let everything cool down.

Brad
Old 09-06-2003, 09:14 PM

Default Re: turbo timer issues and questions (lazerus)

lazerus,

I suspect that you are right, the fan really should be on when the turbo timer idles down. I checked all of my wiring, but I lost the diagram for the TT, I was just making sure nothing had come loose. I have so many things wired, what a mess under my dash!

I was also running spark plugs that were too hot, I am sure this heated up my motor some. I switched to NGK-BKR7E plugs.

Back to my point, does anybody have a link to wiring instructions for a Blitz FATT X turbo timer? I can't find mine, and I have tried to e-mail Blitz before to no avail. I also did an internet search with no luck, all I could find was instructions for the fancier Blitz TTs. Or if anybody can tell me how to wire so the fan stays on (with the turbo timer) when the key is turned to off.

Thanks.