Notices

Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Timer

You'd think that with today's technology, something as simple as a Turbo Timer from an unknown maker would be ok, but I guess you get what you pay for!

What is a good RELIABLE Turbo Timer for the buck? Greddy is rounding up at about $100.00 new.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Timer (Evilparadize)

You could save yourself the $100 and just sit in your car for an extra 15 seconds before shutting it off. I've had a turbo'd GSR for 2 years and never once had a turbo timer. The only way i'd ever have one is if i bought an autostart and the turbo timer was included...
Old 02-26-2008, 04:55 PM

i had the greddy turbo timer on my honda and i loved it, $100 is cheap i paid $125 for mine becuse i dont like to sit in my car and wait. but i know that blinx doesnt have a timer and he likes it like that
Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Timer (lsvtec300)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtec300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but i know that blinx doesnt have a timer and he likes it like that </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is true, and this is why:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could save yourself the $100 and just sit in your car for an extra 15 seconds before shutting it off. I've had a turbo'd GSR for 2 years and never once had a turbo timer. The only way i'd ever have one is if i bought an autostart and the turbo timer was included...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i also once new a guy whose whole car burned down cause his turbo timer didnt turn off, it was an FD3S that was backed up into a parking spot, the muffler lit the bumper on fire and the whole car burnt down!! i just sit my car for like a minute or less...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Timer (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i also once new a guy whose whole car burned down cause his turbo timer didnt turn off, it was an FD3S that was backed up into a parking spot, the muffler lit the bumper on fire and the whole car burnt down!! i just sit my car for like a minute or less...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't heard that story for a while now, but its true nonetheless. Personally, i would rather save my $100 and buy a case of beer or something...i can sit in my car for an extra 15 seconds
Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Timer (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I haven't heard that story for a while now, but its true nonetheless. Personally, i would rather save my $100 and buy a case of beer or something...i can sit in my car for an extra 15 seconds </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, from what i heard, it was a customer of jeffs over at Rotary Power, i know honda EGT's arent as hot but still...
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most every one I know with a turbo timer. get out of the car and waits for it to turn off... if your gonna do that dont bother
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Timer (HondaKyle)

My compustar alarm messed up once and I left my car running for 2hrs. I get to work at 8am and had a coworker tell me at 10am, "hey you know your car is running." I said ah **** and went running outside. Thank god I didn't have any weird overheating issues at the time.

I still use it every once in a while when I know I can still hear the car the exhaust and the car turn off. Most the time I bypass it because I just make sure to stay out of boost the last few minutes of the trip. That and the turbo is water cooled so it really should matter that much anyway.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Timer (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You could save yourself the $100 and just sit in your car for an extra 15 seconds before shutting it off. I've had a turbo'd GSR for 2 years and never once had a turbo timer. The only way i'd ever have one is if i bought an autostart and the turbo timer was included...</TD></TR></TABLE>or just drive easy for the last few blocks before you shut the car off. thats all i do and have never had an issue
Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

As everyone else has said, it's all relative to the buyer. I personally wouldn't pay $100 for a turbo timer when I could just wait in my car. With this being said, you can find them in the Marketplace and/or other forums for cheap. I've seen APEX'i Turbo Timers go for $50 recently. If you can find a deal, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have IMO, for the days when your running late and don't have that extra 30 sec.-1 min. It's all relative to what your budget and what you wanna spend.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

maybe you hooked it up wrong. I honestly dont see how a 100dollar timer is so much better than a 10dollar one, thats what it only is a timer.

Oh and your turbo isnt gonna die, just because you didnt have time to wait for it to cool down on a random day. Hell otherwise we'd have alot of turbocars with blown turbos running around. You think the average joe waits to shut down his car?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Flashmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I honestly dont see how a 100dollar timer is so much better than a 10dollar one, thats what it only is a timer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For one thing...quality! The material of what the components are made of is cheaper and can burn or de-solder off easier (cause loose connections). 2nd...more options!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flashmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and your turbo isnt gonna die, just because you didnt have time to wait for it to cool down on a random day. Hell otherwise we'd have alot of turbocars with blown turbos running around. You think the average joe waits to shut down his car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it won't hurt the turbo every once in a while, but continuous shut downs without proper cool-down will eventually start to affect the turbo. Besides, how do you know that they aren't many or some cars out there down because of improper cooling. Average Joe? Well maybe not, but I certainly don't want it to happen to me.

I get the idea of just waiting for the turbo to cool down or easy on it for the last few blocks, but like .PLUMMM said...<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you can find a deal, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have IMO, for the days when your running late and don't have that extra 30 sec.-1 min.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Certainly do appreciate the feedback, thanks guys!!!