Notices

turbo lag

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo lag

does every turbo ahve turbo lag? my friend got the greddy twin turbo kit for a 350z and there was absolutely no turbo lag.. is this only cause of what greddy has done to the turbo? does full-race turbos have turbo lag
Old 01-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: turbo lag (andysila)

If you don't get turbo lag...it means the turbo will choke at high rpms...
Old 01-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: turbo lag (H-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you don't get turbo lag...it means the turbo will choke at high rpms...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that's incorrect if I've EVER heard anything.....

Great Response means that 2 things:

1) The turbos are sequentially set.. Twin turbos if spec'd correctly for the application, will have Much better response time than a single application on a V6 like that.

2) Correct turbo matching... Can't be beat...
Old 01-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lag (TheShodan)

Maybe he was referring to honda's? Which thats kinda the case, but not really. . .
Old 01-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lag (m R g S r)

there are many factors that affect turbo lag ,and that turbo on your freinds 350z is most likely matched to the engine very well
Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: turbo lag (andysila)

ya dude learn what the numbers on the turbo mean. for the four cylinder motors the specs mean alot. the bigger the turbo, the more lag, the higher top end power. the smaller the turbo, the less lag, the lower top end possible power. (in a nut shell)
Old 01-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lag (donkiman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya dude learn what the numbers on the turbo mean. for the four cylinder motors the specs mean alot. the bigger the turbo, the more lag, the higher top end power. the smaller the turbo, the less lag, the lower top end possible power. (in a nut shell)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Generally, but not always the case . A prime example: My Type R. T3/T67...getting noticable spool at 4,300rpm. That is pretty impressive for a large turbo. It keeps on spooling all the way to redline.

Like the guy said before, simply study and crunch the numbers. Everything is relative. Don't limit yourself to the turbo, you've got to look at compression and other various things also

Aloha,
Brandon
Old 01-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lag (Haleiwa-Brando)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Generally, but not always the case . A prime example: My Type R. T3/T67...getting noticable spool at 4,300rpm. That is pretty impressive for a large turbo. It keeps on spooling all the way to redline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

TheShodan is a good example

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just installed it yesterday.. First impressions.

1) This turbo spools up VERY quickly, I started spool at about 2500rpms and held steadily to full boost by about 3100rpms.

2)Bearing Noise. Extremely loud and almost sounds as though I had a supercharger. Part of it is because I'm still making a hose connector to fit my HKS filter back on it. meanwhile I'm using 2 filter screens. It reminds me of my cousin's giant DSM 20G spinning at about 20psi

3)Great Response. This turbo was worth the extra effort to get simply because of the fact that response is very efficient. I'll be hooking up my boost controller for the time being only to go about 14psi, for my wastegate is set to 11.75 and that 11.75 on a GT35E is a bit different than on a GT3037 since the lbs/min flow rate is different..</TD></TR></TABLE>