Notices

Turbo STOPED Spining

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo STOPED Spining

Well i got the car runing, it runs like ****, no bov nothing, open my air filter, the turbo isn't even spining, it is just sitting there, maby i blew it up not sure, i don't have a job and im flat broke, so im just going to leave it at my boys shop and take the turbo off, and see if something is fucked, other wise im going to have to buy a new or used 15G, i don't have any money for a shop to rebuild the turbo

It's not leaking any oil and it's giving me a check engine for obd 1 sensor, witch i need to rewire, but that should stop the turbo from runing.

When it drives it dosn't even spin at all, just stands there. There are no leaks and even when i have the fuel mangment = not working and Im VERY VERY Sure i hooked up the blue box right, even with no fuel mangment it dosn't spin, im waiting for the car to cool down and im going to take the turbo off to see maby if something is in the way, i hope the turbo isn't blown
Help me out
Old 09-26-2003, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Turbo STOPED Spining (Quad-Damge)

^^ Also all charge pipes and no leaks at all, it was working fine, and i had a shop replace my engine harness, because it burned itself, there was a flatie wiring, witch i fixed, and now the turbo isn't even working, i have been having a very shitty week, for a car that runs like ****.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe the wheel is stuck on the compresor housing?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:04 PM

Take the turbo apart, look for damage, put it back together.
Hook up a turbo timer.... so the turbo won't seize..!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (ImAcracker)

i moved it with a screw driver and it was fine, none of the blades are really bent or broke, no idea
Old 09-26-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Turbo STOPED Spining (djtriptronick)

^^<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djtriptronick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take the turbo apart, look for damage, put it back together.
Hook up a turbo timer.... so the turbo won't seize..!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been runing turbo timer at 1 min 10 seconds for 5 months now
Old 09-26-2003, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (Quad-Damge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quad-Damge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i moved it with a screw driver and it was fine, none of the blades are really bent or broke, no idea</TD></TR></TABLE>
How easy was it to spin? If it was pretty easy to spin with the screw driver maybe it is a blown manifold gasket?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (ImAcracker)

You mean at idle? Pff, it's fine. My old one wouldn't spin sometimes at idle. It worked. If it works, good enough for me.

edit: ok, just read the whole post, lol. How can you tell that it's not spinning when you drive???
Old 09-26-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

no boost when on the gas, even at idel reving it no boost, dosn't even move
Old 09-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what doesnt move the wheel or the gauge? are you sure the gauge is installed properly?
Old 09-26-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Re: (Fst Blk GTi)

I bet the problem is something else like a leak in the charge piping.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (Fst Blk GTi)

yes it was boosting fine for 5 months, and they gauge read fine, i was looking at the wheel it dosn't even move.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet the problem is something else like a leak in the charge piping.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know for a fact i don't have any leaks in the charge pipes they are on super tight
Old 09-26-2003, 06:59 PM

The exaust side took a big dump on your turbo .. take exhaust pipe off and check
good luck
Old 09-26-2003, 07:32 PM

Default Re: (B20T)

Im going to take it apart tommarow, anything i should look for or fix when doing so, so i don't have to buy a new turbo
Old 09-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the oil return line as well as the oil feed line. Any problems there will yeild a bad turbo. Your turbo SHOULD be spinning at idle. It should spin slow enough where you can kinda see the wheel spin. Anything above 1K rpm (idle), i cna't see my blades at all b/c they spin so fast.

I'm not certain if a leak in the charge piping would make it not spin too though. A leak in the wastegate, exhaust manifold, gasket, could do it though. The wheel should spin freely by hand as well.

Danny
Old 09-26-2003, 11:35 PM

I think you will need a turbo or else rebuilt. any leak what so ever has nothing to do with your turbo not spinning .. the exhaust spins the turbo . so if you cant see it spinning then somthing is broken. especailly if you can spin the inlet side.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:08 AM

ya i can spin it with my hand, im opening it up tommarow, we will see, any other good input?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm almost 100% sure your turbo shaft is broken.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Turbo STOPED Spining (RyanAutry)

make sure you double checked your manfiold bolts and exhaust bolts are tightened
Old 09-28-2003, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Turbo STOPED Spining (MI4BUILT)

ya i took it off and put it back on, it was spining agian, but i turned the car off then back on, the turbo stoped sping, drove like 30 miles, then the turbo started to spin agian, i sucked a screw on my inlet side, the exhaust side is very nice it's kinda orange in color, but the blades are mint. it was boosting when the turbo is moving fine, i know it needs a rebuild bad, think sprying some wd40 will help it move, becuase i know i sucked up a screw from my greddy filter, it fell inside the filter and ate it, i took most of it out and it turned, but now it spins sometimes and sometimes not, think it's safe to drive like this. there are no leaks or anything.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you will need a turbo or else rebuilt. any leak what so ever has nothing to do with your turbo not spinning .. the exhaust spins the turbo . so if you cant see it spinning then somthing is broken. especailly if you can spin the inlet side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems you don't know what you are talking about. Alot of used (and even new LARGE) turbos do not spin at idle. A leak could potentially cause the turbo to not spin, because it might not be getting lubricated and then seized. In addition, an exhaust leak could be the culprit (as I will elaborate on, below) How can you be so bold as to recommend a new turbo or rebuild when you haven't seen it and don't seem to know what you are talking about? Don't waste space, please.

In any case, if the turbo can be manually turned, I would suggest that you either have a MASSIVE exhaust leak before the turbo, or your wastegate is not closing (this could also be considered an exhaust leak) and all the exhaust gas is bypassing the turbine. Either way, it could potentially not boost at all. Also, I would be extra-careful when turning the compressor with a screwdriver
Old 09-28-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (ion_four)

ya it's really strange it start up spining today, and drove like a fucken champ, i uped the boost back up to 9 psi and it pulled crazy hard, harder then it did before, i don't even know whats up with it