Notices

Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Ugh.... found this issue too

Thoughts?
The compressor housing looks completely fine but the edges of the blades are slightly nicked. It looks like I can smooth the blades (deburr them) and bend that other blade straight but I wanted to get your thoughts first.

still no play in the turbo and it worked great when the engine was running. Something must have got in there but I have always had the filter on it. The filter looks fine to
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Selection Options: B16/Spoon Cross-mission Trans for Flat Torqueband

Originally Posted by Mjalaly
Ugh.... found this issue too

Thoughts?
The compressor housing looks completely fine but the edges of the blades are slightly nicked. It looks like I can smooth the blades (deburr them) and bend that other blade straight but I wanted to get your thoughts first.

still no play in the turbo and it worked great when the engine was running. Something must have got in there but I have always had the filter on it. The filter looks fine to
look at ur compressor housing. I Think u have play into compressor housing. Push and pull the exhaust blade/turbine
Old 11-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No play. Blade never hit the housing either.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you deburr them it will certainly be "unbalanced" as it most likely already is. IMO I would be looking at a new wheel / having it rebalanced and checked by a professional
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
if you deburr them it will certainly be "unbalanced" as it most likely already is. IMO I would be looking at a new wheel / having it rebalanced and checked by a professional
You can't just bend that blade back, either. That wheel is compromised to where a replacement is needed. Turbine side can be perfectly fine with damage like this.

Part of the filter could have broken off to cause this damage. But you must look at the filter. You'll need to chase tying a good intake length next time around.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You can't just bend that blade back, either. That wheel is compromised to where a replacement is needed. Turbine side can be perfectly fine with damage like this.

Part of the filter could have broken off to cause this damage. But you must look at the filter. You'll need to chase tying a good intake length next time around.
sent you a pm
Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Ill ask this here as its a perfect oportunity.I was wondering about this some time ago.

Lets say you have a compressor like this. And you HAVE too use the car. What do you do?
Can you do a super carefull hand sanding to eat-straiten the blades untill the new compressor arrives?
Can you drive the car like this without doing anything? (isnt it OFF balance really?)
Or do you have to leave the car on the garage?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Ill ask this here as its a perfect oportunity.I was wondering about this some time ago.

Lets say you have a compressor like this. And you HAVE too use the car. What do you do? - Although this is a project racing car, the answer would be the same You don't use the car with this unit on it.
Can you do a super carefull hand sanding to eat-straiten the blades untill the new compressor arrives? No. not with this grade material and the way it's cut. It's not like the turbine wheels where you can slightly re-degree the angles, by "clipping" as so commonly done on the turbine side. The compressor wheels are of completely a different make up.
Can you drive the car like this without doing anything? (isnt it OFF balance really?) - You can, but you'll just cause more damage to it where both the compressor cover and wheel have to be replaced, instead of just possibly the compressor wheel.
Or do you have to leave the car on the garage?- The man has gone through 5 engines already. Why make it worse, just to drive around the block a little more?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or do you have to leave the car on the garage?- The man has gone through 5 engines already. Why make it worse, just to drive around the block a little more?
Correct, hahaha. No need to put shrapnel though a new engine!!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Omg! Never ending bullshit!!

the oil squiter housing broke. WTF! The only thing I can thing to do now is to weld that hole shut. I have no clue how someone will get in there without taking the bottom end apart.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have some of the worst luck I’ve ever seen..
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuark this is bad. I cant imagine anyone that would take the responsibility for welding this as is. But shouldnt you washing the engine anyway?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Washing?

I can try to re tap it with a 1/8 npt or a 8x0.75 but I need to remove the step first.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mjalaly
Washing?
to remove the shavings
Old 11-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine is built. There is no easy way to remove the shavings
Old 11-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right pretty sure that what he meant tho.

IMO tough decision but better to take it apart to fix the issue at hand rather then destroying yet another block. you received block without oil squatters installed?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I fixed it then spent another hour getting the oil pan to fit! (The damn bolt in windage baffal doesn't clear the pick up)

To fix the squirter port I noticed that there is a port on each side of the block that plugs these so I could actually reach in there. I put a clean oilly rag under the hole and tapped it for a 1/4-20 helicoil. Added a screw with some red loctite and it's all good.
Attached Images    
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
right pretty sure that what he meant tho.

IMO tough decision but better to take it apart to fix the issue at hand rather then destroying yet another block. you received block without oil squatters installed?
Yes