Notices

Turbo selection for B series In CRX.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo selection for B series In CRX.

Boosting 7psi. Full race style mani (not ssac). B18C

I basically have it down to 2 choises. A garrett t3/t04e, or a precision SC50

i would like to run a precision unit, much better turbo. My only main concern is the side that the compressor its on, the precision is on the drivers side, and i have heard this can cause clearance problems.

I have searched for pics, but i cant find anyone with a B swap, running a full race mani who has a turbo with the compressor on the drivers side.

If anyone knows if this will clear, or has pics, or personally done this. Please post.

Thankyou

Modified by HamiltonRex at 7:39 PM 4/14/2005
Old 04-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo selection for B series In CRX. (HamiltonRex)

what motor, b16a b18a/b b18c1,c5

If its a b16a or ls, i would use the 57 trim, .63 a/r

if i was c1 or c5 i would rock a 60 trim .63 a/r
Old 04-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boosting 7psi. Full race style mani (not ssac). B18C

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your comments.

Any input on the clearance with the precision turbo?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try e-mailing todd@full-race.com or maybe geoff@full-race.com they are really good about getting back with you on tech issues. I e-mailed them like 4-5 times about various things and they have <u>always</u> gotten back with me.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo selection for B series In CRX. (BlueShadow)

thanks alot.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW when you do figure it out post it up on here. In the future I might upgrade to a FR setup from my RH setup. And I would like to know about clearance issues too since I also have a B18C in my CRX.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 PM
threes

with a full race manifold there is no clearance issues, im using a t367.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boosting a b18a1 in my 91 Dx hatch soon, I take it either of these snails would be good choices for me? Someone suggested a GT28RS, and I can get them for a decent price, so I was gonna go with that
Old 04-16-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Doh!)

those are very different turbos, might wanna research some more, plus if you go with gt28 make sure your mani is the right flange. I like the idea of the sc50 personally
Old 04-16-2005, 08:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My only main concern is the side that the compressor its on, the precision is on the drivers side, and i have heard this can cause clearance problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What in gods name are you talking about? You can mount a PTE turbo facing the drivers side or the passenger side, it doesn't matter.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo selection for B series In CRX. (turboEGhatch)

looking into a race manifold for my 90 si with b16a swap, just a question what would be the best turbo for a street car in the 350 to 400hp range, i know i have to build the block and so on, just wanna quick spooling smooth sKrong turbo.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What in gods name are you talking about? You can mount a PTE turbo facing the drivers side or the passenger side, it doesn't matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah, and what he wants to know is if he mounts it with the compressor towards the driver side (the way he wants to use it) does it hit the block or not with a FR manifold. And I think the reason he asks is because of space limitations in an EF engine bay.

Looking at the pic c jackson psted I dont think the comprssor would fit on the passenger side with the radiator sitting where it sits.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yah, and what he wants to know is if he mounts it with the compressor towards the driver side (the way he wants to use it) does it hit the block or not with a FR manifold. And I think the reason he asks is because of space limitations in an EF engine bay.

Looking at the pic c jackson psted I dont think the comprssor would fit on the passenger side with the radiator sitting where it sits.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, he was saying he doesn't think he can run a PRECISION because the PRECISION puts the compressor on the drivers side.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would like to run a precision unit, much better turbo. My only main concern is the side that the compressor its on, <FONT SIZE="4">the precision is on the drivers side</FONT>, and i have heard this can cause clearance problems.]</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-17-2005, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, my reply was to your post saying that you can mount the turbo either towards the driver side or passenger side.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What in gods name are you talking about? You can mount a PTE turbo facing the drivers side or the passenger side, it doesn't matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This might be true if the manifold was out of the car. But given the limited space of the EF engine bay the compressor looks like it can only fit on the driver side. Also IC piping would be easier for his EF if the compressor was on the drivers side.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:31 AM

true but thats got nothing to o wiht weather its a precision turbo or not
Old 04-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trentepic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trentepic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true but thats got nothing to o wiht weather its a precision turbo or not</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was talking about any T4 cold side turbo in general not just PT, going into an EF.

I believe The newspaceballs or however his username goes is running a compressor to the passenger side on his EF turbo setup. But I've seen pics of his turbo setup and his IC piping is all funky looking.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

with the ramhorn style, and the ef bodystyle facing the compressor to the passenger side is not a good way. with it on the drivers, you can either run a backdoor style intercooler. or if your ramhorn runners are tight enough, you can run the pipe were the windshield washer squirter bottle goes(with removing it of course).

we're just putting a similar setup in my friends ef. ramhorn style, stock crossmember fits a tight radius 3" d.p it would be a nightmare to try to run the dp from the driverside down. we ran the charge pipe off the turbo up and over behind the headlight. its very tight but do-able.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (speeddave)

thanks for all the info and replys.

I contacted full race with turbo selection and this was the reply.

Eric-

We would recommend a Garrett T3/TO4E 50trim with a .48 AR. Will have really good spool time and still be able to support over 350whp. Very good streetable setup.

What do you think of that turbo? Seems like what im aiming for, spool time and streetable. Im not out to blow away vipers, just have a nice quick CRX.
Plus that turbo isnt overly expensive eaither.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

50 Trim owns.

Probubly the most efficent compressor wheel out of the non gt stuff.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

Thanks alot, I looked into it and thats gonna be my choise.

Where would you say is the best place to purchase this turbo new?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HamiltonRex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot, I looked into it and thats gonna be my choise.

Where would you say is the best place to purchase this turbo new?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Arturbo

Ask for the SC50, and he'll help ya out...