Notices

turbo seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo seals

well i got my lsv turbo started the other day for the first time(fresh rebuild) also used a new to me turbo that was in "good" shape. well upon start up car runs beautifully but after ya minute or so it would fill my garage with white smoke, i noticed after letting it run for 20 minutes oil coming out down pipe pretty bad, im thinking i has to be the exhaust side oil seal, this is at idle and engine runs so good, im also think could it be my oil return line, it has a bit of a bend to it but it doesn't try to push oil back uphill, it is the same line i used on old turbo and never had any problems, turbo is a turbonetics 57 trim, what are your guys thoughts on this
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo seals

return drain hole is in the top most location in pan too, it isnt mounted to low
Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Probably needs a rebuild, and a .045 restrictor.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

mmmm.. Not sure about that yet. Let's see the routing of this return line first, before we go any further. A journal bearing turbocharger will never need that small of a restrictor (.045). that size will easily starve a turbocharger.

A bad routing of the oil return could also be an issue, hence my asking about his routing of the return line he has.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill try and get a pic up for tomorrow, i have a restrictor in line now, im not sure of the size tho, there is no in and out movement, there is a little side to side, i hope its as simple as the return line
Old 01-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Take the restrictor OUT first. If you don't know how large it is, then you have no business "sticking it in there"... (I'm so bad..).

Turbo sealing rings within the system are not like some rubber grommet that get destroyed with heat. these are more like Piston rings. Oil pressurization will go past them (can't beat physics), but won't destroy their ability to operate alone. but if you've starved it because of your restrictor in an effort to be "careful", you can easily heat warp the turbine shaft. (Called "bluing" of the shaft) rendering it useless.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i didnt get a pic of it but it id deffinitly not kinked anywhere, is it ok to run turbo seeing straight engine oil pressure? or is that a myth. the restricter is what the kid had on there when he was running it, what size do you recomend? is there any thing else it could be?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by CRX-Kid11
well i didnt get a pic of it but it id deffinitly not kinked anywhere, is it ok to run turbo seeing straight engine oil pressure? or is that a myth. the restricter is what the kid had on there when he was running it, what size do you recomend? is there any thing else it could be?
You need to know that oil pressure at cold start and/or Wide Open throttle before it can be determined whether or not you need one. Chances are you do not, so that's why I say check the return line system as well. Not just for kinks, but to make sure that the slope of the line is smooth and goes into the pan without any 90 degree fittings or angles.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even if it was the return line causing the problem is it to late now? has the damage been done i guess im asking. i emailed gpopshop.com and there recomending me the kit for $79 seen here http://gpopshop.com/garrett-t3-t4-t3t4-kits-2/ so what is the diffence between the 270 and 360 degree thrust bearing performance whys?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it more common to not run a restricter? well if it has to do with oil pressure id prob have to do with bearing clearences, sry for the nooby ?'s this is my first turbo build
Old 01-16-2012, 04:58 PM

You're thinking to hard. we're simply talking oil pressure through from the block to the oil feed line. Restrictors depend upon the turbo used and the oil pressure given. On Hondas with Garrett journal bearing systems, less common. For precision, more common, for GT-R series turbos, required, and for Borg-warners, restrictors are almost never used.

this is looked at on a case-by-case basis.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i finally got around to doing some work on it, the return line did have a bend that was more then it really needed to have, so i took a fitting off one side so i could make line a little short to help with the bend and found the rubber hose inside the line is collapsed, has a very small opening now and prob didnt when it was bent, so ill try a new line but now that this has happened has this caused damage to the turbo?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by CRX-Kid11
well i finally got around to doing some work on it, the return line did have a bend that was more then it really needed to have, so i took a fitting off one side so i could make line a little short to help with the bend and found the rubber hose inside the line is collapsed, has a very small opening now and prob didnt when it was bent, so ill try a new line but now that this has happened has this caused damage to the turbo?
Unfortunately, its one of those "we gotta try it first" issues. If you're still seeing a large amount of oil smoke, slow compressor wheel operation (slower spool) and see other issues, then yes, it may be too late. a .045" restrictor is HORRIBLY too small for a journal bearing turbocharger of almost any make.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Take the restrictor OUT first. If you don't know how large it is, then you have no business "sticking it in there"... (I'm so bad..).
Turbo sealing rings within the system are not like some rubber grommet that get destroyed with heat. these are more like Piston rings. Oil pressurization will go past them (can't beat physics), but won't destroy their ability to operate alone. but if you've starved it because of your restrictor in an effort to be "careful", you can easily heat warp the turbine shaft. (Called "bluing" of the shaft) rendering it useless.
I lol'd

Agreed, take the restrictor out. Did you check the shaftplay of the turbo before you put it in?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i did, couldnt feel any in and out had small amount of side to side though, alight so im getting another line and taking restrictor out and having my fingers crossed haha, thanks for the input guys
Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A little side to side is normal, as long as the wheel didn't contact the housing. Let us know what happens when you start it back up with the restrictor out.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good news guys! replaced return line with new and removed restrictor and smoke is gone, well i still did a little but im thinking it is just leftover oil still in down pipe, b4 within seconds of running u wouldnt be able to c in garage now i left doors shut in garage and ran for 5 mins no problems, time for a tune!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Congrats .
Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member