Notices

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

i threw the turbo and everything on and i noticed the turbo isnt spooling at idle. at about 2000 rpms it start to spool slowly. then i bump it up to 3000 rpms then it seems to be spooling well on both sides. i have no exhaust or intake hooked up at this time. it is a t3 so ive been told. it also doesnt "sound" like a turbo spooling. can someone with knowledge please give some input thanx hondatech
Old 09-16-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: turbo question (tranceologist)

17 people have looked at this post and no one knows anything ? wow
Old 09-16-2005, 04:59 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

what do you think the turbo should do at idle?!? build up 10000psi of boost?
sorry but you will find NO turbo that will make noise at idle and also no turbo will build boost at idle if you have a small one you can see the blade spinning very slow at idle but thats all...

don't look so much movies and get informed about how a turbo realy works... i think thats the reason why nobody answers to this question until now... its basic stuff everybody should know befor put a turbo onto his car... there is some very good stuff in the FAQ... just read it, you should need it if you want to have fun with our car.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:42 AM

Default Re: turbo question (mrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you think the turbo should do at idle?!? build up 10000psi of boost?
sorry but you will find NO turbo that will make noise at idle and also no turbo will build boost at idle if you have a small one you can see the blade spinning very slow at idle but thats all...

don't look so much movies and get informed about how a turbo realy works... i think thats the reason why nobody answers to this question until now... its basic stuff everybody should know befor put a turbo onto his car... there is some very good stuff in the FAQ... just read it, you should need it if you want to have fun with our car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about.....i get full boost at idle......haha...j/k.

Boost will build when you engine is under load. Just drive it around a bit and you will see boost.

DAN
Old 09-16-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: turbo question (ginoboy1978)

FYI.. Your not going to hear the turbo that much because it isnt working to compress the air.. Your just flowing air through it since you dont have the charge pipe hooked up..

Also your overspinning your turbo doing that..

This will help.. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Old 09-16-2005, 02:51 PM

i bought this turbo used. i didnt know what to expect. i am learning as i go. i abserve, then i ask questions if i do not know. how else do you learn ? i figure since exhaust is blowing by the turbine it would spin alittle. my civic spooled the second i laid my foot on the pedal. i am to getting the exhaust run this weekend. thank you all
Old 09-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was also expecting my turbo to sound like something out of the movies (sound wise) but am very happy its as quiet as it is. quiet=good for the street
Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo question (urbansi)

yes it is right that most ppl learned the things while doing it, but when i may give you an advice... learn some basics before or get some help of someone who has some knowledge because there will be some stuff in your future where you don't notice anything if you don't know what to look for and if you ignore these signs you can easily break things... its just an advice, because things can become very expensive when you do try and error.

This forum has a wonderfull faq, just sit down and read a few hours and learn... thats the way i get my basics and i'am very happy to have them befor start my projects.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Seems like your wastegate is open. Is your setup a internal or external wastegate? If it's a internal I'm guessing the control arm from your wastegate to the flapper in the turbine side of the turbo is adjustable or bent. If it's a external waste gate then open it up and see what's wrong. Maybe a bad spring?

If that doesn't solve it then I guess you have a exhaust leak somewhere on your exhaust manifold. Pour soapy water while your car is on and look for bubbles and make sure the manifold has cooled down then start your car and pour it or else the water will just boil and good luck finding the leak.