Notices

Turbo Oil/Water Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Oil/Water Line Question

so im planning on making a junkyard turbo kit for my d15b7 with 1g dsm parts, and this will be my first turbo project. ill be using a 14b turbo on a hf manifold. ive searched around and heard the oil inlet is run from the oil pressure sensor, the oil drain is to the pan, and the water inlet is from the thermostat housing. however, i cant find where to drain the coolant to or any pictures or instructions on how to install these lines. can anyone help me out?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Oil/Water Line Question

i've never seen someone run a oil and water-cooled turbo on there honda. it might be possible to just use the oil cooling, but i'm unsure. if not then you may want to consider using a different turbo.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you run a ball bearing turbo designed for water cooling without water, the bearings will hate you for sure.
Don't look at the coolant like you would oil. Oil has a flood and drain. Coolant has an inlet and outlet. There is a block adapter offered that takes the place of the screwed in drain plug on the front of the block. This works well on the B-Series but dot sure about the D. This port would be on the positive side of the water pump and coming from the bottom of the cylinders and provides your inlet feed. The return from the turbo would then get plumbed back into the suction side of the pump behind thermostat, or into the water pipe.
I hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The oil feed should come from a sandwich plate you install between the block and your oil filter. If this cost to much for you budget build, you can use the sender port on the block. Just be careful not to over tighten the fitting. There should only be one line coming out of this hole. If you install a T or X in the sender port and get too much crap around this port, it could break the block. Sorta defeats the budget part of the build if the block breaks. It is recommended that you install a short flex line from the block to a firewall mounted T when multiple items share this feed. The oil return should go down unrestricted by gravity to the pan oil.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

water lines to the turbo: one goes to the inlet to you IACV by the TB and the other goes to the little nipple off the side of ur intake manifold by the 1" hose going through the Intake manifold to the head.(passangers side) this is how i have my GT28r setup and how edelbrock recommended to hook it up. if u want check edelbrocks site and download the instructions for the y8 or z6 kit they have good pictures to show you. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...all/1000.shtml

Last edited by apexi_rsx; 07-31-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok that seems to make sense. i just run the tb inlet hose to the turbo then run the turbo water outlet back to the tb inlet (i live in canada so i need the heated tb in winter). then for oil i either use the pressure sender(and not have an oil light), or find a sandwhich plate for in between the filter, then drain into the pan. thanks guys

Last edited by HondaHatch1; 08-11-2010 at 11:01 PM.