Notices

Turbo noob help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo noob help

As stated I never went turbo before. So I have a few quick questions. First I want to build a d16z6. I am aiming for 500hp. Realistic or no? I have money so money isn't a big issue. I am going with eagle crank, eagle rods, acl race bearings, sleeved block, undecided on pistons and valve train. If I spend the money and go with good parts. I would only want to hit 500hp once on the dyne to prove I could or on track day. I would want 350hp for normal drive. How many miles will a good turbo build last if I am nice to it? I was hoping at least 50k. And if any one knows of a good build to make good hp please post a link ect i will not do a vitara build thou! Informational reply's only please. Smart remarks are not needed. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo noob help

Can someone at least tell me how long a turbo build should last?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondacrx2
Can someone at least tell me how long a turbo build should last?
It will last a looong time if you take care of it.

Anyhow, post up a budget and then members here can advise you on where you should invest.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll say I would like to stay around 3k not including the turbo or tune.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with the stuff ur talkin..im almost pretty positive its gonna take more then 3g's dude..exspecialy out of a dinky over head
Old 10-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll spend more on the turbo setup then three grand.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eagle has deal for crank and rods for 800$, sleeves are 800$, pistons 500$. That leaves 900$ for the head. My dad owns a machine shop so all labor is free.... Sounded like a pretty solid build. I know I didn't include fuel pump, clutch, axles, ect. I am just saying 3k for the engine. Sorry forgot like 120 for arp head studs and acl racing bearings are maybe 150$. What is a realistic cost then?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eagle has deal for crank and rods for 800$, sleeves are 800$, pistons 500$. That leaves 900$ for the head. My dad owns a machine shop so all labor is free.... Sounded like a pretty solid build. I know I didn't include fuel pump, clutch, axles, ect. I am just saying 3k for the engine. Sorry forgot like 120 for arp head studs and acl racing bearings are maybe 150$. What is a realistic cost then?
You want 500hp? The turbo alone is roughly $900-$1200, depending on which one you go with. Remember, you don't have a ton of displacement and those heads don't flow that great. I'd get some better springs/retainers & a good cam. A good turbo manifold is about $400 and an intercooler capable of 500hp is around $300-$400. Your dad would have to do your custom piping, add a Blow off Valve, Waste Gate & then don't forget you do need some type of engine management. Look into a Hondata S100/S200 setup if you're on the budget build. A normal tune is around $350. You can easily spend 3G's on just the turbo setup alone...I know I did.

Axles, clutch, fuel pump, catch can, etc....they all add up, just don't skimp out on any of them. What good is a car that makes 500hp when you snap an axle on every launch?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have to ask, you aren't ready. Research, research, research.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok since my first goal is alittle out there how about this. I want to run low 12's maybe high high 11's in a 88 Crx hf that's gutted. What hp will I need to make this goal and what's a good build to make that power? I know alot is all about how good the driver is. But I am just asking how much hp is needed to make the car capable of run this with a decent driver and want build I should look into. Keep in mind I am still doing sohc boost please.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Buy a $500 d15b from HMO, replace the gaskets/seals and add ARP headstuds.
2. Scour forced induction classifieds and piece together a turbo kit.
3. Run 11's.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Turbo noob help

Ok since my first goal is alittle out there how about this. I want to run low 12's maybe high high 11's in a 88 Crx hf that's gutted. What hp will I need to make this goal and what's a good build to make that power? I know alot is all about how good the driver is. But I am just asking how much hp is needed to make the car capable of run this with a decent driver and want build I should look into. Keep in mind I am still doing sohc boost please.
I'd go the cheaper route and get a F22B & sleeve that motor. The head on that engine outflows most B-series. You can get some h22 rods to improve the RS ratio, and some DSM pistons. It will be cheaper & a few have ran that without issues on here. If you want to boost a SOHC & hit 11s, that would be the easiest route. Remember, there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShanghaiOC
I'd go the cheaper route and get a F22B & sleeve that motor. The head on that engine outflows most B-series. You can get some h22 rods to improve the RS ratio, and some DSM pistons. It will be cheaper & a few have ran that without issues on here. If you want to boost a SOHC & hit 11s, that would be the easiest route. Remember, there is no replacement for displacement.
Wow what a huge waste of time to go 11s... Matter of fact thats a waste of time no matter what your doing do tou have any idea what kibd of work it takes to put an f/h motor in a crx
Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PFI_NAYR_ONE
Wow what a huge waste of time to go 11s... Matter of fact thats a waste of time no matter what your doing do tou have any idea what kibd of work it takes to put an f/h motor in a crx
Yes I do. I've done 4 h22 swaps so far. You need to dent the right hand lower frame rail for trans clearance, and dent the firewall for intake manifold clearance, & convert from od0 to odb1. If his dad owns a shop, it should just be time. He wants reliable & something that flows well. Go ahead & push a z6, but he wants to go cheap. I'd take the f22b over a z6/y8 anyday...$300 block with more torque than hp.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to stay with the z6. I have done my share of b series never h yhou. With a z6 would a micro polished crank, stock sleeves, eagle rods, pistons, port and polish head, with a new springs, retainers, valves work to make 350hp? And would that put me in low 12's? As stated I know it's all about getting traction and driver. I just want to get the car to be capable of doing those times and safe and reliable. No vitara builds thou please.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:11 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 500hp D series for $3k? Dream on buddy...

I think you need to start a bit smaller and gradually work your way up to that IMO
Old 10-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Schister66 I'll post my new goals since I see me first is not do able.....
I want to stay with the z6. I have done my share of b series never h yhou. With a z6 would a micro polished crank, stock sleeves, eagle rods, pistons, port and polish head, with a new springs, retainers, valves work to make 350hp? And would that put me in low 12's? As stated I know it's all about getting traction and driver. I just want to get the car to be capable of doing those times and safe and reliable. No vitara builds thou please.

I am hoping this one is more realistic. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Schister66 I'll post my new goals since I see me first is not do able.....

I am hoping this one is more realistic. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ShanghaiOC
Yes I do. I've done 4 h22 swaps so far. You need to dent the right hand lower frame rail for trans clearance, and dent the firewall for intake manifold clearance, & convert from od0 to odb1. If his dad owns a shop, it should just be time. He wants reliable & something that flows well. Go ahead & push a z6, but he wants to go cheap. I'd take the f22b over a z6/y8 anyday...$300 block with more torque than hp.
"I have done 4 h22 swaps so far"... wtf does that have to do with this thread, cool 2010 username btw... anyway we have done a bunch of sohc builds for around 3000 with the turbo kit that make around 400-500hp just get some vitaras and some rods, head studs and then put together a cheap kit with a holset and done. I really dont think you need an f22 to reach your goal lol
Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PFI_NAYR_ONE
"I have done 4 h22 swaps so far"... wtf does that have to do with this thread, cool 2010 username btw... anyway we have done a bunch of sohc builds for around 3000 with the turbo kit that make around 400-500hp just get some vitaras and some rods, head studs and then put together a cheap kit with a holset and done. I really dont think you need an f22 to reach your goal lol
Hey dipshit, you do know you asked if I had any clue on the swap. I answered your question about knowing what kind of work it takes to put a h/f into a crx & you're too ignorant to know that. Greeley is full of ******. Sorry to the OP for going off topic, but this douchebag has issues. You don't need a f22, but it's a suggestion...such a douche
Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol my question was rhetorical because he is asking for an easy and cheap way to reach his goal and since your so smart and come from such a cool town you would know that that swap isnt easy... I dont care who you are or what resources you have on hand an f/h swap in a crx is not easy or practical especially in this guys situation. Also your way is in no way shape or form cheaper... Dipshit lol.... Yea im gonna sleeve an f22 to reach a goal of 350hp
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now that everyone is done thread jacking. Back to my topic. Since my first goal was not realistic. If I would just do rods, micro polished crank,pistons,arp head studs, acl bearings and mild head work. Would I be able to make 350hp safe? Then if so will it last if taken care of for at least 50,000 miles? And what is a realistic quarter mile time with a good driver and slicks and the engine in a 88crx hf.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now that everyone is done thread jacking. Back to my topic. Since my first goal was not realistic. If I would just do rods, micro polished crank,pistons,arp head studs, acl bearings and mild head work. Would I be able to make 350hp safe? Then if so will it last if taken care of for at least 50,000 miles? And what is a realistic quarter mile time with a good driver and slicks and the engine in a 88crx hf.
You can make over 300, but safely depends on the tune & gas. If you have the extra money, sleeve it. The tune & parts play a big factor along with the gas you run. If you take good care of it, it should last a few years...there are people on this board running 4 years on a turbo setup. Did you gut your crx? How much do you weigh? Suspension? Did you corner weight it? Traction bar setup? What type of axles? LSD? Size of slick & rims? There are a few more questions, but you should be able to hit high 11s, low 12s with that HP.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was trying not to sleeve it to save the money. Would a block guard do ok? And what do you mean by gas? I am planning to run 93octane everyday. And I know tune is very important. I will go to dyno and have it professional tuned. And I would tune alittle rich to be safe. No back yard tuning here haha. And it's a 88 Crx hf the lightest Crx made. And it is gutted. And yes LSD and no traction bars yet. I never had it make enough hp to need them. What is a good suspension set up. And lastly is my hp goal ok? Or to high and say 300hp safe? Thanks for the input so far.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't need a blockguard. For the price of the guard, you're half way to a sleeve job. You can hit 350 easily, there are a few pushing over 400 on a stock sleeve z6. Your goals are attainable, good luck to you