Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Safe Turbo Build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe Turbo Build?

I've been considering a turbo build for my 96 ek coupe. Basically, I plan on buying a used K20 on craigslist, then build it. So I'm here to ask; Which parts will I need to really focus on replacing for a safe turbo build? I don't know too much about turbo, but I assume I will desire have about 15-25lbs boost. As for the actual turbo, it probably won't be very big- because I want to easily avoid turbo lag.

As for build parts; I already intend to replace the rods and pistons, and valve train(low compression valves). Do I need to worry about the crankshaft or anything else?

I was also wondering; which Kseries would be best? I was thinking the k20a3?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Safe Turbo Build?

In my personal opinion there is no need to tear into the block unless somethings wrong with it. K series can handle 500+ on stock rods. Its the tranny thats going to hate all that torque.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a nice turbo and get a good tune and you'll be having mucho fun.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StraussBuster
I was also wondering; which Kseries would be best? I was thinking the k20a3?
lol god no
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
lol god no
Don't just say "no". Follow it up with your opinion of what would be better
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any of the other k series with actual vtec. i'm not going to do your research for you.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI PSI doesn't mean jack!!!! It is only relative to the turbo used!!! Pick a HP goal and go from there.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone handing you this information is not really helping you. That goes from the engine you should use to what turbo parts to buy. You need to educate yourself so you KNOW what is reliable and are NOT relying on other people's opinions. Read. Read for quite a few MONTHS. That's right. I said MONTHS. Figure out what you want to do with the car. FIND a similar build that is complete. Copy it. That's right, I said COPY IT. It's no harder than that. Why do the legwork when someone has already done it. You just have to understand what they did and how they did it. Putting the parts together is the EASY part. That's right. I said EASY PART.

I could give you a whole list of exactly what to buy and what to do. How will you know that I'm not full of ****?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:52 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Based in your initial post OP, you realy have very little knowledge on how a turbo system works. I would research for 3-6 more months and then start asking much more specific questions. No one here is going to spoon feed you all the information you desire.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Anyone handing you this information is not really helping you. That goes from the engine you should use to what turbo parts to buy. You need to educate yourself so you KNOW what is reliable and are NOT relying on other people's opinions. Read. Read for quite a few MONTHS. That's right. I said MONTHS. Figure out what you want to do with the car. FIND a similar build that is complete. Copy it. That's right, I said COPY IT. It's no harder than that. Why do the legwork when someone has already done it. You just have to understand what they did and how they did it. Putting the parts together is the EASY part. That's right. I said EASY PART.

I could give you a whole list of exactly what to buy and what to do. How will you know that I'm not full of ****?
Originally Posted by doctorake
Based in your initial post OP, you realy have very little knowledge on how a turbo system works. I would research for 3-6 more months and then start asking much more specific questions. No one here is going to spoon feed you all the information you desire.
These guys are absolutely right!!! I have been researching since 9/2010 when I purchased my hatch and I am just about at the point to where I am ready to boost my motor. I spent a year doing my research and then did my gsr motor swap. There has only been two other guys besides myself who have touched my car since I bought it completely stock. My little brother and my buddy who does my alignments. Other than that, I do everything myself hense the time I have spent doing my research

Take your time, educate yourself and the time and result will be well worth it!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StraussBuster
Thanks for the advise.
They gave you a verb? How is this even possible?

15-25 PSI you say? No, that isn't a big spread at all! Especially not for a small turbo. You know, so it spools up quick. With 25 PSI worth of boost. On a stock compression ratio K-series.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will take you 5-7K just to get that k series into your car. And that's after you already have the motor and tranny. That's if done right. And to boost a k swap your looking at anything from $4000+ and that's not even touching the suspension and crap. You sir need to start on the D and gradually work your way up. YOU CAN'T EVEN HANDLE THE D YET!