Notices

Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock...

I've been doing some thinking... and before the LSVT police jump on this... I have built a couple LSvtec engines, I know the ups and downs, pros and cons. This post is just me thinking out loud.

Many people want LSVT's and some of them want LSVT on boost... but many of them cannot afford to put the right parts in to make it safe to spin 8k.... so I was thinking...

LS's make GREAT power at moderate boost on the stock block... it's proven over and over again. Then, LSVT adds the blessing of vtec but taxes the block for the higher redline. But the better flow of the vtec head and the higher lift cams make it worth the investment and hassle right ?

What if one were to do this instead (The reason I chose a turbo setup was that doing this n/a would prolly suck...

Assemble an LSVT with just the work to put on the head. Leaving the LS block stock... the idea is not to spin past 7500rpm (yes, yes... I know the cams will be making power to 8k or so) Now the idea here is... If one were to put on a set of adjustable cam gears... would you be able to dial in the torque curve so that the power band would shift down low enough to get peak power before 7500rpm... while helping get the turbo spooled earlier to make up for the lack of that last 500-1000 rpm.

Just an idea... it would allow people to go LSVT w/ boost w/o having to invest in the standard parts needed like upgraded oil pump, timing belt, rod bolts, etc.

Am I off base here... or on the money ?

X2 (borded at work)
Old 09-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump ?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THere is a possibility that it would work, but I don't know if you could ge the torque down that far for it to be worth it, because of the cams wanting to get going in the higher RPMS.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

^^noted...

My logic was that with the increased efficiency using the turbo, it could make up for the long duration and big lift when vtec is engaged. Of course the intent would be to lower the vtec engagement point as well... but that will be the tuner's judgement.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know that i haved built some B18A lsvtecs and thier stock oil pump wouldnt even support vtec due to low oil volume, so wouldnt you need any oil pump just to do the swap, and yet still needed to feed the turbo???

i just did one with out the oil pump 2 weeks ago and his turbo burned up in 48 hours due to lack of oil(blue bearing cartridge color=too much heat)

but i do see what you are saying
Old 09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

I see what your saying about the pump... although I never did (or would do) an LSVT w/ the stock LS pump... but that's for rpm only.

I ran my turbo LS setups on the stock LS oil pump for quite some time with zero problems... lots of people do. But can it handle the strain of both turbo and vtec ? good question....
Old 09-22-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock... (X2BOARD)

IMO, if your going to have an LS/VTEC and boost it, I would use a GSR oil and water pump if your going to take it over 7000rpms, as well as ARP rod bolts (cheap insurance). Do it right the first time so you don't regret it afterwards.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock... (D16y8-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16y8-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, if your going to have an LS/VTEC and boost it, I would use a GSR oil and water pump if your going to take it over 7000rpms, as well as ARP rod bolts (cheap insurance). Do it right the first time so you don't regret it afterwards.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You missed the scope of the post, didn't you?

I think the idea has merit, in this case you are building the engine combination for a certain operating range. As long as you remain in that range it would be fine. But as soon as you got the "spin it faster" bug bite....things could get interesting. As long as you would stay out of the high rpms limits....the Vtec waterpump is not needed. The Vtec oil pump is a good idea anyways to ensure proper Cyl Head, turbo, and bottom end lubrication.
I would probably still find myself installing ARP rod bolts to the stock LS rods though....the thought would always be in the back of my mind if I didn't at least do that.

Heck if the bottom end fails it is easy enough to get another one.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock... (BROOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I would probably still find myself installing ARP rod bolts to the stock LS rods though....the thought would always be in the back of my mind if I didn't at least do that.

Heck if the bottom end fails it is easy enough to get another one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear you on the rod bolts... but if it doesn't pass 7500 (like religiously).... I haven't seen many people spinning bearings on just the LS turbo setups.

I really thought about the setup for the flow of the vtec head.... when I ported my LS head... the gains were phenomenal for the work done... even w/ stock cams and stock valves. I would reckon a vtec head alone would flow similar to the mild port on the LS. If this worked... you could build a damn potent street machine for less than one might anticipate.... I'm such a cheap-***...
Old 09-23-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Turbo LSVT, stock rod bolts, stock oil pump... just stock... (X2BOARD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by X2BOARD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm such a cheap-***... </TD></TR></TABLE>
I would not call that being a cheap-*** though.....budget minded is more like it.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for any input...especially from engine tuners.