Notices

turbo lag or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo lag or something else? and vitara piston info

Okay so today I replaced all of my intercooler pipes going from 4 pieces to 2 and reducing the number of couplers that could blow off..I also installed a t3 gasket between my manifold and turbo..now here is my question:

my setup is a d16a6/d16y8 head
-9:1 compression bottom end completely rebuilt w/ standard upgrades and honda bearings
- comp cams everything head
-full MSD ignition setup with 10mm Magnecor wires

=t3/t4 turbo .48/.63
-2.5 in/out 22 Length x3 thick x8 height intercooler
- diy manifold,downpipe, pretty much everything
-2.5 inch downpipe and exhaust..
-all tuned using turboedit will AFR between 11.5-12.3 across the board during boost

my issue is the car is just slow from 900-2500 rpm.. I realize it takes time for the turbo to spool, and that I only have a d16 but damn man the thing just has really crappy low end power... After 2700 rpm it really rips all the way to 8500 rpm (rev limit) especially when VTEC kicks in..

Is there anyone else running similar setup having similar results..

one thing is that I have found a exhaust leak after my downpipe..which makes the car a little loud right now but that should not effect my low end that much.

Modified by ppfalcon at 11:06 PM 5/4/2006
Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo lag or something else? (ppfalcon)

Well one thing is that you eed to remember that hondas are 4 cylinders, there realy not going to have much power before 2500rpm's. Also an exhaust leak will cause the car to loose power, **** a tiny rip in an IC coupler will cause major power loss.

Even with the smaller exhaust housing you will/should see full spool around or before 4k.

Was the car faster before you changed things or is this your first input.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Re: turbo lag or something else? (urbansi)

Well it seemed faster with less boost 7psi when I first got everything running, but now 7psi feels like 10psi to me even though my buddy and wife say it feels much faster than when I was first got it running.. I think I might just be so used to boosting that I cannot really tell the difference..

I have not gotten a chance to take it out because I need to get some new couplers and my exhaust leak fixed
Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 PM

The thing about the exhaust leak that is weird is that the car is slightly louder, and sluggish on the lowend, so when I take off the exhaust has a "rumble " to it kind of the way a stang with flowmasters does..which I didnot have before the leak
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 PM

my buddy has a similar setup but bigger .63 instead of .48 and it seems like his lowend is a hairpin better than mine..

I think I will just have to wait until tommorrow and see what happens after I get the leak fixed
Old 05-04-2006, 10:06 PM

Well I have not exhaust leak anywhere and ran into problem with car overheating think that either waterpump is gone or thermostat is not opening only say this because when I give it gas the temp gauge goes down, weird? Oh and by the way this is a O'reillys waterpump..

But back to the subject, I now need to track down why I have shitty lowend power and I suspect on reason is that I did not break in my motor correctly or I have a leak somewhere..going to do a compression test tomorrow and thought I would post some useful info for people using vitara pistons, here is the link..

http://www.shadetreetuner.com/....html
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Did compression test and reading 150 on # 4,3,2, but #1 is showing 110..

I am thinking it is either rings, or valve seals..did not have anyoil to pour into cylinder to check will try tommorrow when have someone to help me out..
Old 05-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

readings may be bad, but you said you have a cam right? Thus depending on what you went with, that could very well explain your low end power. Also, even if you did have an exhuast leak after your downpipe, unless it was massive, it shouldn't affect you much. I run a y8 with t3/t4 and 3 inch exhaust system. My low end is nothing to be impressed with, but how are you driving it. I mean its not gonna be fast that low in the rpms. Although, your low numbers will hurt you too.