Notices

turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks

first day of install was ok. but hands ache and some stuff dont fit and need help. but heres my set up before i go on:

2000 acura integra gsr. all stock

-Garrett t3/t04e turbo
-maxrev turbo manifold
-tial 35mm wg w.dumptube
-hondata s200 w/boost and ecu';s blah blah
-dsm 450's with resistor box
-revhard gsr piping
-greddy type s bov
-revhard 5-bolt downpipe
-i think thats it for now.

heres are my problems and questions:

1: my revhard DP had a 5-bolt flange and i have a 4-bolt garret turbo. so i went to get a 4-bolt flange welded onto my downpipe BUT it doesnt fit in the area around the turbo anyways. so my questions here is can i drive my car without the downpipe on for roughly 10 minutes to the local muffler shop so they can make me a DP there. or will the turbo spit out way too much heat and burn stuff?

2: I am using the Garrett turbo. It is mounted on and clocked but i cannot seem to find a place to route the tial wastegate vacuum line. do Garrett turbos have a little nipple thing to connect a vaccuum hose from the wastegate? my buddy helping said his DRAG turbonetics turbo had a little nipple thing but we cannot seem to find one on the garrett turbo. maybe its hiding behind an angle??

3: also, my dp doesnt have a hole for the 02 sensor so instead of having it hanging and dangling, i decided to unplug the o2 sensor completely. will this affect my driving besides the check engine light coming on?

4: I am having a HARD time putting the silicone coupling onto the throttle body to connect to my charge pipe. i tried using wd-40 and weird angle with a flat head with no luck. any other suggestions? its a REALLy tight fit and it DOES NOT fit for me.

i think thats it for now, please respond to this thread with suggestions since my IMs dont work well on my friends slow comp. Thanks guys in advance. i wish i got the greddy kit now. CUSTOM KITS get a HUUUGE for fitment!
Old 03-26-2003, 05:24 AM

Default Re: turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks (Tru Dynamix)

i dont know if the garretts have the nipple or not but chances are if you can't find it it doesnt have it. get ur vacuum source for the wg from the intake mani. tee off a vacuum line and use that.

do NOT run without o2. ur car will run like crap and smell. my car was already considerably weaker with no o2 back in the day when i was n/a. you will end up running open loop and very rich and it will rob you of power. if you're going to have that dp made custom, just tell them to add in the o2 bung.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Re: turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks (Pengo)

ttt

thanks for the replies. more opinions would be great about runing with no DP to the muffler shop.

also, my hondata tuner said he wrote a basemap good enough to use teh stock fpr. i have a b&m fpr and gauge. he told me i should just install the gauge and use the stock fpr with my 450's. i was like "what? using the stock fpr? thats too good to be true." u guys think its possible?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks (Tru Dynamix)

1. We already covered in PM, if you are gonna drive w/ no downpipe, watch out for a/c lines, haha, i learned the hard way (no wastegate dump tube).

2. My garrett doesnt have a side port

3. yeah your car is gonna run like **** w/ it unplugged, but its gonna run like **** anyways cuz you wont have a downpipe, haha.

4. Order some new coupings, or try to stretch the **** out of the ones you have now and then try to put them on
Old 03-26-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: turbo install frustrations. need advice. thanks (Mase)

thanks mase

update. we got done with a lot. almost done. just need to getthe car running for the DP. but we are having trouble finding a vacuum source for the tial wg. the fpr vacuum source is being used for the boost gauge and the greddy bov type-s. we called greddy to ask if we can use the same fpr vacuum source for the tial wg also but Greddy said we cant. if we do, then the bov wont blow off. u guys mentioned we can use a vacuum source from the intake manifold. but what does this look like? we found one source that LOOKS like a vacuum source. its hard to describe.

but its basically on the right of the intake manifold. its a circular bronze piece of metal with a vacuum hose coming off. does this seem like the vacuum source? after that, we just gotta find a hole in the firewall for the boost ga and we are ready to start the car. thanks again to everyone and Mase especially. gonna do more research to find the answers i need.