Notices

HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all !

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all !

I have never seen this type of turbo before. It has a T3 turbine inlet flange and a pretty conventional compressor side but the turbine outlet is just a smooth round opening with no lip or flange at all and about 3.5" dia. The inside is machined smooth but the outside still has the cast finish. How do you attach a downpipe to this thing? does anyone know what kind of turbo this is?

I have searched all over the internet and not found one mention or picture of this thing. btw it is for an external wastegate too. I need to make a downpipe for this and i need to know where to start. TIA
Old 08-03-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (Bailhatch)

vband turbo maybe?
Old 08-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (rioninja)

there is no provision for a V-band but i was thinking that I might weld one onto the opening if i can't find out the real way it hooks up. good guess though
Old 08-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (Bailhatch)

No one has ever seen one of these? It must be off of some soviet farm equipment or something seriously i think it was one of those "e-bay specials" that are just too good to pass up. what a deal this kid got. But now i'm stuck figuring this flangeless bastard out
Old 08-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have seen something similar to that. You could get a machined v-band flange welded to it. But your welding steel to cast but it should be ok as long as its done correctly.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (legendboy)

Good point, steel to cast steel/iron is kinda tricky to make reliable. MIG?

I wonder if this outlet is designed to have the DP slid inside the cast part. That is the only machined smooth part of the opening so I assume it is the sealing surface. There are no other points to fasten anything to though! I guess I could drill and tap three of four holes to hold some spring clamps that would pull the pipe into the housing.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:18 AM

I would weld a vband flange to it if it was me. Welding steel to cast iron isnt a good idea, but welding steel to cast steel is perfectly fine. Think about it,
most of the the flanges and such you buy, were cast parts before they were
machined.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (rioninja)

Who needs a DP anyway? Open turbo lol
Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (Happyman)

Welding to cast is not a problem. Expecting welded cast to support any weight is a problem - and I mean a problem between your ears if you think it'll hold. Brace everything well and you will have no problems.

Got any numbers off the turbo? I can hunt it down for you, tell you what it came off of.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (J. Davis)

i've welded mild steel to cast iron b4.. haven't had a problem with it cracking yet... flux-cored wire seems to work alot better than regular MIG / gas.... my nephew layed pretty good welds on a cast iron manifold w/ a steal WG flange.. as for it supporting weight and stress, that still remains to be seen...
Old 08-04-2003, 08:54 AM

Depends on the metal. Me and a friend welded a t3 flange to an HF manifold
well over a year ago, and it hasnt so much as begun to crack. Arc welded it
actually. My current downpipe uses the flange off an oem "cast" downpipe.
for the most part, mild steel is mild steel. Alloy contents are close enough so
that welding them isnt usually a problem. Welding steel to cast Iron though,
is kind of shaky. The metals have different expansion rates, so i would think
cracking is a higher likelyhood.

For a downpipe, i wouldnt hesitate to weld it. Use a suitible welding wire,
and you should be fine. Also, is there a chance that the factory downpipe was a spring fit, like is common on dirtbikes?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have never seen this type of turbo before. It has a T3 turbine inlet flange and a pretty conventional compressor side but the turbine outlet is just a smooth round opening with no lip or flange at all and about 3.5" dia. The inside is machined smooth but the outside still has the cast finish. How do you attach a downpipe to this thing? does anyone know what kind of turbo this is?

I have searched all over the internet and not found one mention or picture of this thing. btw it is for an external wastegate too. I need to make a downpipe for this and i need to know where to start. TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>
can you post pics of this soviet farm turbo? lol
Old 08-04-2003, 10:58 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does it have a bolt hole on each side of the round opening?? if so then it might be a chrysler T3....

but the fact you say its got a standard t3 inlet and not an offset t3 inlet makes me wonder.

it could be a t3 off a diesel mercedes...they had weirdo outlets too.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP turbo gurus !!! Garrett turbo with no DP flange at all ! (stackz)

Ya someone who came into my shop said it looked like some kinda deisel turbo too. I talked to the guy who sold this turbo originaly. He has no idea really but says a 4 bolt t4 flange fits on perfect to be welded. Also he mentioned using marine exhaust sleve clamps. This whole setup is a PITA. The kid brought me a 2"!!! DP all chromed out yo. It is the gayest. His charge pipes are 2.5" too!!!! I told him we need to basicly switch the diameters to make it work halfway good. The chrome OBX manifold is just the icing on and "all out" custom setup

The oil feed is kinda tricky too. It is about 5/8" female with the cone style seal like brake lines have. I guess I need a 3an to X adaptor. Anyone have an idea about this fitting. Name of thread/seal style. On ya it has coarse threads too.