Notices

Turbo Install? DIY or Not??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Install? DIY or Not??

Got my complete B series kit now, and now I am faced with a dilema. I have a few buddies that are willing to help me install it. I have never done one before, neither has one of my buddies, but one has I beleive. should I attempt it in my driveway or just get my shop to do it for relatively low cost?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (Sassafrass)

I think you should do it yourself. me and a friends did mine and its a fun project. he has done it before but it was my first time. it took us only like 2 days to do it and I havent ran into any problems. Save your money.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (BOOSTEDebp)

Me and my friends never did a turbo kit before mine. Took us 2 days, 3 boxes of pizza, a couple of runs to the store for drinks and we were done. Its a really easy thing to do.

Although if you dont know how to weld i would suggest taking your oil pan to a professional welder and have it welded. Thats what i had to do. Other then that its easy.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (Luserkid)

its a fun project to dyi. i did mines alone in 3 days by myself. what makes it ez is having the rite tools. but installing is the ez part. removing **** is where u can run into problems like stupid rusted bolts things like that.just take your time and read the instructions over and over just to get a full understanding of it youll be sore after you do the project i know i was. but it is well worth it. i have a 99 ex wit the edelbrock turbo kit on it so it took me a long cuz it has a new intake manifold and stuff like that. but you can handle it. good luck bro
Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (vtekstorm)

I would definitely do it myself if I were you. I, along with two other friends who knew less than myself did mine in about 4 days. The only reason it took 4 days was because I had to work during the day everyday and so we only had about 3-5 hours each night to work on it. Fortunately for me, I bought a used kit and the seller was kind enough to include his oil pan, so I would let a professional take car of that. It's a learning experience for sure.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if youy need any help let me know i would be more than happy
Old 07-04-2004, 10:59 PM

The best way to do anything is to do it yourself. I don't trust anyone with my car. That's something that will teach you a lot. good luck
Old 07-05-2004, 12:03 AM
F*CK THIEVES!

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (dogfood)

werd.id be putting a turbo in my car soon. do it yourself
Old 07-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

putting on a turbo kit IS a rather easy task. My basic Haynes manual showed me how to take everything off and basically it is the reverse to put the turbo kit on. I wouldnt pay someone to do it. It was my first one and it took me awhile because I am lazy and easily frustrated. Plus I had to track down little parts like NPT adapters. If you have all the necessary parts, it can be done in a day or two assuming you work 4-8 hours a day. Besides when it breaks or something goes wrong, you have an idea of what goes where and what does what......

DIY
Old 07-05-2004, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

lets hear my .02 cents..

i've done motor swaps... b-series into ef... d-series into eg..
i've done tranny swaps... 99si into 95gsr... 99si new clutch

but how would a turbo install differ? motor swaps are pretty damn simple at this point, just alot of stuff to get through. turbo install the same?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmsiR20)

What kit is it?

The only part that might be difficult that I can think of is tapping the oil pan.

Never done the install myself though. A good kit should come with decent instructions to get it done.

-Ben
Old 07-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allyourapex)

Could you tap the oil line into a sandwich plate(ie..Greddy oil filter sandwich plate)? Would that be the easiest and and one of the best places? I'm doing this myself also. Need help. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you already have a complete kit and don't think you can put it on then you have some problems. Its so freaking simple as long as no fabrication is involved...then it gets a little harder
Old 07-05-2004, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (SOHC_MShue)

do it yourself man its a good experience. take your time and plan it out. make sure you dont need to run to the store for anything.

mine took basically two days. well the first day like three hours, i had to cut my intercooler pipes from scratch and i test fitted everything. then the next day i slapped everything on. i went with a weldless return bung. i wish i had the pictures for you and the AN part numbers but i wont be home for a few months.

did it all right the first time and never had a problem. the only thing was that i over looked my return flange on the turbo. i didnt put sealant on it so it started to leak....problem fixed in 30 minutes.

doing **** yourself
Old 07-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Install? DIY or Not?? (dirtySOHC's)

Thanks for the tips, I guess I will give it a shot.

Its a complete kit I bought used from PeterK from here. He had his on his LS integra, its now going on my LS EG, so it comes with everything, including tapped oil pan.

I am just waiting a few more parts to make life eaiser like a vacuum mnaifold and such.

It looks simple enough to do as the turbo is still connected to the manifold. The only hard part I think for me anyways is I am gonna be running DSM injectors and my BOV doesnt have a flange, but one of my buddies says he can handle the BOV so I guess i might as well give it a go.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:35 AM
illicon2003

Speaking from personal experience....I'd suggest only installing a kit that was brand new. Only because you know you'll have all of the components..everything will bolt up perfectly, etc. As for a used kit..I wouldn't reccomend it. There may be some minor or major fitment issues. The intercooler mounting is a bitch (I had a shop do that). The hardest part for me was definitly the oil feed line. Not mentioning the obvious stuff..here's a list I compiled of stuff that you'll want to have around during your turbo install. You may not use everything, it really depends.

Teflon Tape.
Replacement manifold flange nuts.
Tap/Die set(Optional but very handy)
Anti-Seize lubricant
Tee fittings for vaccum lines
Drill, misc. bit sizes, screws nuts and bolts, wire ties
Threadlocker
Solder gun/solder, extra wire.
3 feet of radiator hose for oil return line
Saw for cutting splash guards
HIGH TEMPERATURE GASKET MAKER.
Common sense.
A camera to post pictures when you are done..
Old 07-05-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (illicon2003)

just like everyone said do it your self, if something goes wrong down the road, its easy to pin point since you did the install your self
Old 07-05-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (boost fed ls)

I say do it yourself too. Especially if you have someone who has done it before too. Search a few threads and go mentally step by step through each phase so you know what to do. Also, do as much as you can beforehand if you can before the actual install weekend.

Btw, whats your setup?