Notices

turbo install advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo install advise

alright ive never had a turbo set up before.

I had a 91 crx roller I traded to a friend for his turbo set up because I was doing nothing with the car.

what he gave me he says its a ball bearing t4 turbo, it says air research t04.
turbonetics mark 2 waste gate
blitz blow off valve
some big *** FMU
big *** front mount intercooler
rc 550 injectors.

and a few other things but that consist of all the turbo parts.

from doing a little reading I know I need a manifold but not sure what manifold would suit my car the best. it will be a DD and race on the weekends.

i was told I need some sort of engine management system, I have a p28 with S300. I think that will work, let me know if im miss informed.

one thing im not sure about are oil lines. all the faqs have no pics. on the turbo there are 2 brass fittings and another fitting with a smaller hose coming off of it. im assuming thats a vacuum line and the other 2 are oil.

ive seen pics of cars with tapped valve covers and oil pans, is this the only way to do it or can I buy like an adapter for the oil filter to get my oil from there? can anyone point me in the right direction here?

the motor is a stock b16a2 with b16 lsd tranny. has 7lb flywheel, act 6 puck clutch. other than that motor is stock.

the car is a 95 hatch

I have a few parts in my closet that ive been saving.

high flow fuel rail with blox FPR.
blow intake manifold
aem adjustable cam gears
and some stock gsr came. I was told they would be good for boost applications.

can anyone give me some advise on this set up? if I need to change anything or screwing up anywhere? thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo install advise

In my thread, like on the second to the last page, I detailed what I did on my turbo istall and what went into it. Check ti out, it may help ya a lil bit. I had a part on the oil system.

Shoudl answer a good bit of yoru questions.

As far as a manifold, the log mani's get the job done but suck, a sexy ramhorn is abotu the best, but there's a lil more lag.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

link to said thread?

and ive been thinking about getting a blox turbo manifold but not sure if their good or not
Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, it's in my sig
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a link that has some good info on it https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/. If you have never install or worked on a turbo car i would just take it to a shop and have them to do the install will save you money in the long run because you may have to fab some piping for intercooler,wastegate etc and if the shop has a dyno the can tune it while its there.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by johnls
here is a link that has some good info on it https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024174. If you have never install or worked on a turbo car i would just take it to a shop and have them to do the install will save you money in the long run because you may have to fab some piping for intercooler,wastegate etc and if the shop has a dyno the can tune it while its there.

I can fab a lil and have all the help in the world from fabbers. I see no fun in building a car if I have to pay for the work I need done.
situations like these cause me countless head ache's and a couple hang overs lol but its how I learn. i will have it trailered to bubba to be tuned but I want to put the work in with a few of my friends.

so ill prob ask a ton of questions on simple things until i fully understand it all.

no one has anwsered the question on running the oil lines. do I "have" to tap into my oil pan or is there an alternative?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil feed you can get a sandwich adaptor or tee where the oil pressure sensor goes using a braided line to the turbo and an oil pressure gauge. the stock oil pressure sensor is no good it only indicates low oil when it drops to under 5psi, by then your motor is toast

the oil return line you must tap into the oil pan. try to keep it straight as possible because the oil is only pulled down by gravity. but the bung must sit above here the oil sits in the pan, approx 1/2 inch below the block. if you need pics im sure i can dig some up from somewhere
Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VtecnTurbo
oil feed you can get a sandwich adaptor or tee where the oil pressure sensor goes using a braided line to the turbo and an oil pressure gauge. the stock oil pressure sensor is no good it only indicates low oil when it drops to under 5psi, by then your motor is toast

the oil return line you must tap into the oil pan. try to keep it straight as possible because the oil is only pulled down by gravity. but the bung must sit above here the oil sits in the pan, approx 1/2 inch below the block. if you need pics im sure i can dig some up from somewhere

ok thanks for the heads up. I got a question. on the pics ive seen people tap into their valve covers. what for?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bakomack
ok thanks for the heads up. I got a question. on the pics ive seen people tap into their valve covers. what for?
that's for venting the the air pressure out of the block... just like how it is stock, there's a hose from the valve cover going to the stock intake arm
Old 01-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its called a catch can

check the faq in the forum, it will answer all your questions
good luck, turbo is fun
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok. is it necessary for a catch can or is it just for more bling?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

catch can catches oil fumes/sludge that blows by due to the motor being pressurized from the turbo.