Notices

Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out

Will cop *** me over for havin illegal turbo?? Cuz i don't want to go with Greddy even though its 50 state legal but with an intercooler its not legal any more right? Plus its a small turbo I would like to have more hp. If i'm daily cruisin will they mess with me or just don't care not drivin like an *** and stuff. What if they hear the BOV and stuff? I'm in CA and cops are mess up here but wonderin about illegal turbo. What will happen if they find its illegal? How much fine and how can i get my car back will it be in its original form with every mods????? Will I get a fix ticket or a huge fine how much?? Also does anybody know where in San Diego CA know a place where i can smog pass with illegal mods and crap?? Can IM if its personal. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (IgniteTeg)

If they find it, you have to take the turbo off and go to the smog ref. ($45) Then you put the turbo back on. You will probably get fined too, depending on the attitude of the cop. If you have no catalytic converter, you get a big fine too.

Dustin
Old 09-10-2001, 10:54 PM
New User

Man they will yank you out of your car and just start beating the ever living **** out of you. "******* RICER PUNK, you think you can get away with turboing your car in San Diego and get away with it?!" You will think Rodney King was lucky! J/K ******* California man, I don't hear of those problems except from there.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (turbod97ex)

thats funny. seriously i heard the fine for running without a catalytic conv is a lot of loot.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha shiet thats funny yeah thats why i'm concerned. Thanks for postin guys I'm still open dustin or anyone how did you guyz go beyond your emission and cops with your Drag turbo?? Thanks.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:48 PM
New User

I live in los angeles and I had my turbo on my 5th gen prelude for 2 months, I never got any problem with the cops, I had the loudest BOV--Blitz SS BOV and I had a test pipe which means NO CAT. but my Greddy EVO exhaust was not loud at all, and my car looked stock and clean. people had no idea what i had in my car...

just keep it low when you cruising or passing a cop, and floor the **** out of it when you race!

[Modified by mike2016, 12:48 AM 9/11/2001]

[Modified by mike2016, 12:48 AM 9/11/2001]
Old 09-11-2001, 12:08 AM
New User

well Dustin took the whole thing off his car for emissions, I know...then put it all back in....jeesh! what a job.
Basically, most of the cops out there aren't going to know what you have under the hood, as long as they don't catch you hauling ***....if, for the rare instance it happened, you had to pop the hood...I don't think they would know that you had an "illegal" wastegate, dumptube, etc...just tell them that it's some bolt-on parts and 50 state legal...still, I don't think it would come down to this. Most cops are okay if you catch them in the right mood...they'd probably just be curious as to what you have, but not bust you for it (well this seems to be my experience with cops)..
Just make sure and run a cat....because I have heard of them checking for this.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:18 AM
ken
Trial User

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (degradated)

I think its all like mike said... its how you drive and also the time/place. If you are on the local cruise strip and have gone by a few times, a cop will probably pull you over. Stay discrete. I don't have a turbo, I just hang here because I have nothing better to do, but my experience is that the only time cops pull you over and hassle you for stuff like that is when you are in the wrong place ("no cruising" zones) at the wrong time (midnight). That seems to be only time they care if you have no front license plate or a modified exhaust.

Also, I think when they pop the hood, they look for only a few things that they've been told to check for. Definitely a cat, and think I've heard people say stuff like valve breathers before too. Otherwise, the engine bay is probably too cluttered for them to know anything. If they ask, say it is for the alarm or something. "That's not a BOV, its a intake sensor for the alarm... if the engine turns on when it is armed, the alarm goes off. Have one for the exhaust too."
Old 09-11-2001, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (degradated)

I sure hope thats how it is. I would not be happy if I put on the turbo kit and lose it right away that would just suck As for havin a cat damn I was thinkin of gettin a test pipe since the cat is restrictive. But an aftermarket cat would run me around $300+ damn with a simple test pipe its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper. What do you guyz recommend??? Test pipe or aftermarket cat? Which one? Btw Its a sleeper with just the OEM Body Kit and my GTR Combat and cf hood down the road but for nows its just that with no cf hood yet.
Old 09-11-2001, 01:01 AM
New User

just gut the cat out. looks stock... but its not! haha
Old 09-11-2001, 07:09 AM
BMW Güdentyte

Trust me. Some cops know their shet. Some of them are even dragsters and prolly have a domestic beast of their own on their garage. They would just be curious on what you have under the hood and prolly start laughing after they give you a ticket for clear corners, lol! Just act professional and show them your drivers license, registration and insurance right away when you get pulled over for traffic.

OBTW, a test pipe will cost you @ $50 bucks. Not that bad imo.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (DB8GSR)

really just get the turbo .. Greddy with Intercooler is FINE .. but adding a Blow off Valve will void the carb legal stats. So might as well go with a drag kit or revhard any stage 2 kit. You need a BOV for any kit just to let u know.. Dont listen to people when they say greddy u dont need a bov LOL unless u want to stay at 6.5 stock psi level ? laters
Old 09-11-2001, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only time you will get pulled over and have your hood popped is if you are driving around at the street races. Cops wont mess with you if you are driving around minding your own business.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (TurboInteg95)

Cool hopin its that way. How about drivin to street races? But not gettin caught for racin? Have you ever been pulled over on the street with your turbo kit TurboInteg95??? How did you go about passin emission know any hook up if its personal can you please IM me then? thanks.
Old 09-11-2001, 11:02 AM
New User

If you are at, near, or in any way associated with "street races" you should be prepared to be harassed by cops. If you act like a grown up, the cops leave you alone.
Old 09-11-2001, 02:57 PM
New User

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (dbman96)

yea like they said they will only pop your hood at the Street races but if you don't drive like a bitch and just cruise they don't have a reason to pull you over, just keep your front license plate on and have stock clear corners and then they really have no reason to pull you over. I live in San Jose where Street racing have gone main stream by a lot at the street races minivans show up just to watch. So If i'm cool here in san Jose It should be o.k for you tooo. Cop's aren't allowed to pop your hood unless they have reasonable cause If your at the street races they have reasonable cause. Just keep It at the track and you'll be o.k
Old 09-11-2001, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are at or anywhere near street racing you will get your hood popped. If you are just cruising around then there is no reason for the cop to even look twice at you. I live in San Diego, Mira Mesa to be exact where Street Racing has become ridiculously popular. They've passed new laws allowing the city to place signs at various streets proclaiming the street "closed" to traffic and pedestrians on certain days and at certain times. The cops here are super tight on street racing. However, if you stay away from them there is no problem at all. As for emissions, I just take the turbo off my car, it only takes a few hours.
Old 09-11-2001, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (TurboInteg95)

ahem...to clear this up...JUST GET A CAT! any cat will do. cops arent stupid in Ca. If you've been near a car with a straight pipe, you can DEFINATELY smell the extra pollution. is it worth getting a large fine for just an extra 15hp? and if they are suspicious, they will send you to a ref. that works for the gov. in which you must go within a time limit/ if not, they will send you to it RIGHT AWAY on those portable ones. YOU CANT BRIBE THESE GUYS! you will fail indefinately as they pass through EVERY single part of your car with a carb oe manual. i know this because i used to own a 94 toyota supra tt and a lot of my friends run aftermarket downpipes with no cats. and now, they regret it.
Old 09-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (TheBoostieBoys)

holy shiet geez Boostie thanks for statin this out. Damn I'd be better off with a high flow cat then *** test pipe. Thanks for all response I just hope its like this once my turbo is on all this CA stuff is drivin me nutz Good luck guyz. Another tihng anybody want to direct me where to buy a good high flow cat relatively cheap but new?? Also which brand prefer Random Technology or Carsound? Thanks...
Old 09-12-2001, 07:54 AM
New User

I just got a Random Tech Hi-Flo cat for my Civic. It was $219. Send me an email and I can hook you up with the shop I got it at and who to talk to. steve@turbocivic.net
Old 09-15-2001, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u got mail
Old 09-15-2001, 09:43 AM
New User

wht my buddy did was, he took off the heat shield off the cat and spot welded it to the straight pipe and if u looked under the car u couldnt tell the difference
Old 09-16-2001, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo illegally Kali or others please help me out (Turbo00)

Do you think cops will fall for that??? Seems like a good idea Let me know thanks.
Old 09-16-2001, 07:49 AM
New User

If it looks real enough, I don't see why they wouldn't fall for it. The only thing is, I'm sure they would become wise to it eventually.