Notices

Turbo HX

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo HX

Im thinking about turboing my stock 97 HX and was wondering if anybody has done it before and what they thought of it? Also my car has 137K so what should i rebuild so it will be safe. By the way it is also a daily driver car.
Thanks Kyle
Old 08-27-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Turbo HX (skrewdriver88)

I have the 92-95 Greddy Kit w/ IC on my 98 HX... just running a Walbro 255 hp fuel pump and 12:1 fmu. Not the best in fuel management but hey its getting the job done for 6psi.

My hx had 68xxx miles on it when i installed the turbo, now im up to 110xxx miles and still pulls as hard as it first did. I upgraded my clutch to a ACT street mod disc and pressure plate... coupled with a stock b-pipe to axel back exhaust.

My dyno was around 140hp and 155 ft/lb... my exhaust got me the tq, however i was having some high rpm issues, anything above 5.5 rpms i would have spiking issues. The tuner i went to couldn't figure it out but a/f's were close to 12.5... I just left it as that and had been driving around like this ever since. Close to 4 years i've been with this setup and its holding.

I'm sure it can make more power with a better fuel management...but i just left it as is. I got another build in the works.

Since you have 137k, and want to rebuild the HX, i don't know waht to say to that...i guess it depends on what your looking for out of it. If your only looking for moderate power gains at about low boost, i think you should be fine without a rebuild if your maintenance on the motor is up to par. But if your looking for more power, i'd suggest a swap and turbo that. Its just how much $$$ you want to spend.

I paid 800 bucks for this Greddy kit used from a buddy, and knew in the future i would be swapping in a better motor/turbo.

heres a shot of my engine bay: please excuse the yellow... it gives me an extra 5hp

hth
Old 08-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

done it. imo it's as capable as any other d-series. headstuds come to mind. maybe beef up the rods if you are rebuilding.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Turbo HX (tilt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tilt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> imo it's as capable as any other d-series. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

my hx with bolt ons and an ex tranny was just as fast as one of my friends ex's.

i had seriously gone over turbo'ing my hx, but for the power levels i wanted i was out of the safe range (250+whp). a low boost setup with an fmu will be fine. the hx runs like 9.6:1 compression, so its ok for a few psi w/o ignition retard( though im sure if came down to it you can kick back the distributor like 1 or 2 degrees).

it wont be the fastest thing in the world, but it will be fun as hell and able to keep with most cars around. i highly recommend upgrading clutch, and moving to an ex tranny from the hx.

oh ya- dont be scared of miles. if you compression test and it comes back fine, you dont burn stupid amounts of oil or coolant, then you are good to go. my hx had about 200k miles on it when i pulled it out, and it ran perfect. the ls motor i dropped in had 185 on it then, and just about 200k now. its been boosted for like 8k, i rape the **** out of it, and its still going strong.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Turbo HX (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it wont be the fastest thing in the world, but it will be fun as hell and able to keep with most cars around. i highly recommend upgrading clutch, and moving to an ex tranny from the hx.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup can't say it better myself... its fun for just zipping around here and there and def better than rolling around stock. From highway rolls, i can take walk SI's, LS's, GSR's those all with bolt-ons NA of course.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright guys thanks for all your help but i think i am going to put better rods in. Oh yeah what would be a good Fuel management unit
Old 08-28-2005, 04:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skrewdriver88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright guys thanks for all your help but i think i am going to put better rods in. Oh yeah what would be a good Fuel management unit</TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck as for fuel management there really isn't one for OBD2, your going to have to convert to OBD1 and then you can go : hondata, uberdata, neptune...etc. Or you can go AEM ems.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Turbo HX (tilt)

I would highly recommend nothing more than 9psi. Kid here in Pocatello boosted his HX with a Greddy kit, and blew it up cuz he ran it hard at 13psi.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo HX (SlowSpyder)

yeah im not sure what i want to do right know
Old 08-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Turbo HX (SlowSpyder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowSpyder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would highly recommend nothing more than 9psi. Kid here in Pocatello boosted his HX with a Greddy kit, and blew it up cuz he ran it hard at 13psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>
13psi with what turbo? That is a dumb statement that you shouldn't be able to boost more than 9psi on a hx. I'm sure it holds up as well as any other d16 bottom end, which plenty of people have pushed up around 250whp before with tuning. 9psi could be 180whp or it could be 250whp. The amount of power its making is what you should be worried about.