Notices

Turbo GSR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo GSR Questions

Hey HT, I have a GSR Motor I purchased from Steve at Hmotorsonline a couple of years ago and I have enjoyed it in my Integra. I want to boost my stock motor now and I have been looking around the internet and came across the ebay ramhorn manifold, anyone use these? I am on a budget but I would rather spend the extra money on decent parts now rather than buying them twice when a cheap part breaks. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? Power wise, I am just looking for anything around 260-280. The car is my DD and after everything is installed I have a local tuner to tune the car. As far as how much money I am willing to put in the car I am willing to spend what I need to for quality parts.

Thank you -Donnie

Last edited by 94tegdc; 12-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Turbo GSR Questions

Then stay away from ebay completely for the manifolds, wastegates and turbochargers. I know some will chime in to say "their ebay kit was fine after X,XXX miles", but it is VERY hit or miss on that. not worth the effort.

We need to know the following things to help.

-budget for the kit
-budget for the turbo
-use of the car (street/strip, all drag, road race, etc... And no, it is difficult to have it do all three)
-power goal
-tuning management.

This will help get the ball rolling as well.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/

Check out the ones that deal with manifold types, turbo, how much power the stock engine can take, etc.

Once you've answered those questions, we'll be able to be of more help to you.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed more info would help, however i am going to assume since you were looking at ebay that your just looking to get a little extra out of the motor. Assuming that, you would be way better off with a good cast iron manifold in my opinion... Like theshodan stated and i agree totally stay away from the turbos, manifolds, and wastegates on ebay.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys! More info added.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

PM me for suggestions and full specifications.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get an ebay cast iron manifold and make it work for rather cheap. Otherwise if you plan on keeping A/C and PS, you'll have to shop around for a tubular log made for ps+ac.

You could make due with a 60trim T3, S-trim t3/t04b, or 46-50trim t3/t04e. The 60trim or S-trim would be enough for ~300hp, but would require more boost than the stock map sensor can provide, so they'd all end up costing about the same.

If this is your only DD, you may want to reconsider - or find a very knowledgable friend. If you don't know what you're doing, it could be on jackstands for weeks - sometimes even if you do! Definately read the FAQ link posted above. The following is from that link, and tells you the parts you need: https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/complete-how-turbocharge-your-honda-rep-ing-hypnotik-speed-1263795/
Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my ebay cast mani cracked
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94tegdc
Hey HT, I have a GSR Motor I purchased from Steve at Hmotorsonline a couple of years ago and I have enjoyed it in my Integra. I want to boost my stock motor now and I have been looking around the internet and came across the ebay ramhorn manifold, anyone use these? I am on a budget but I would rather spend the extra money on decent parts now rather than buying them twice when a cheap part breaks. Anybody have any suggestions or advice? Power wise, I am just looking for anything around 260-280. The car is my DD and after everything is installed I have a local tuner to tune the car. As far as how much money I am willing to put in the car I am willing to spend what I need to for quality parts.

Thank you -Donnie
If you are looking to get quality parts and make your DD last you want a good flowing turbo manifold. And I would suggest that as your primary start. A good/great manifold would be a Full-Race ramhorn. The price on it has dropped dramatically! It is very important when you're running a stock motor to have a very efficent manifold so that the EGT's in your engine remain normal. This will in turn help with the life of the motor as you will be using it as you DD. When you run a turbo manifold that does not flow well you will run in to what's call back pressure and your EGT's will go up. You will only need to buy a manifold once if you buy a quality one. Now you will also buy more than once when you want to upgrade and make more power and have different goals. LOL good luck!!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank You all!!! You have all given me great input!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with build tune is key
Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know ebay stuff is usually junk but I'm push 490 to the wheels on a cx racing cast manifold on 24lbs and have had no problems. I'm not saying its the smart way to go but he's on a budget like me so you get what works for now and upgrade as you can as I've been doing. Hopefully I hit a 9 in 2010 but well see