Notices

Turbo gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo gone bad?

Well. My car has been leaking oil for a while. I figured it was the oil pan because I saw some oil on the bottom of the pan. I bought a moroso pan ot put on. Well I put it on today. Went to start the car and smoke coming out of the muffler like crazy. I turn the car off and went inside. I let the car cool and went under to look for where the oil is coming from. I see a bunch of oil on the bottom of the turbo. I take my down pipe off and see oil in the exhaust side of the turbo.

The thing is. The car was perfectly fine last night when I drove home from work at 3am. The only thing I can think of is the oil return... There are no kinks and no big bends, pretty much a straight down into the fitting, which is a 45* push on. Since oil got in the turbo i'm guessing the seals are now shot and i need either a rebuild or new turbo.

What could of caused this? The only thing I could think of is some how the oil got blocked at the turbo

Sorry for the not so good pictures.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like blown seals to me... but did it just start blowing crazy smoke when you put on the new pan? I mean i know u said it was leakin before but blowin smoke too? If it were the turbo it woulda blown smoke then and now....

Sure you didnt overfill it causing oil to backup into the turbo?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

Yeah I only put 5 quarts in the motor. As far as I could see it wasn't smoking before I put the pan on.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure your return line is in the wrong place. It's supposed to be near the shallow (top) end of the pan and flow back.

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot it was a Moroso. Hmm.. why would they put it down there? I don't know.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Attaus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Attaus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure your return line is in the wrong place. It's supposed to be near the shallow (top) end of the pan and flow back.</TD></TR></TABLE>
thats the standard return postion for moroso pans. they work fine
if you put 5 quarts in the motor thats your problem. it con only hold about 4.5 before it blocks the return line
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thats the standard return postion for moroso pans. they work fine
if you put 5 quarts in the motor thats your problem. it con only hold about 4.5 before it blocks the return line</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree there,I always keep my oil level between the halfway mark & minimum mark on the dipstick on my B16A2 Turbo.Always check your oil level when the engine is cold.There is a significant difference between oil level readings from an engine that has just been ran and an engine that has been allowed to stand for a while
Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hondacivicnut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondacivicnut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree there,I always keep my oil level between the halfway mark & minimum mark on the dipstick on my B16A2 Turbo.Always check your oil level when the engine is cold.There is a significant difference between oil level readings from an engine that has just been ran and an engine that has been allowed to stand for a while </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats like 3 quarts of oil.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondacivicnut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree there,I always keep my oil level between the halfway mark & minimum mark on the dipstick on my B16A2 Turbo.Always check your oil level when the engine is cold.There is a significant difference between oil level readings from an engine that has just been ran and an engine that has been allowed to stand for a while </TD></TR></TABLE>

If i did this on my engine i would spin a bearing in no time. When my engine is cold the oil level is just above the topmost dot. I have a turbo and filter relocation with really long lines tho- so i have excess oil to compensate.

When the car is running the oil is barely up to the 1st dot. So it really depends on ur application/setup.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: (boostedej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats like 3 quarts of oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you guys mean by 'quarts' ??? We use Litres in the UK.Do you mean quarters of a gallon?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one thing I hate about the moroso pan is that the crush washer and oil drain plug does not seal well and leaks a little bit even if you tighten the crap out of it. I dont want to go too right and strip the tread, but it sure sucks more than the OEM unit.