Notices

Turbo Failure question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Failure question

Hi, before i start id like to say that I am new to the FI scene and i have gone through all the FAQ. Im still in school so i have little money, so any help you guys can give me would mean a great deal to me as ive had several turbo related failures.

I have a b16a2 with a T3/T4 TO4E running apprx 8psi. I have now experience two turbos which have blown due to play in the journal bearings. One turbo lasted almost a month, the other lasted several weeks.

Id like to add that i am running Castrol 5w30 with frequent oil changes.

When i first had the turbo installed my blow off valve was not working and my wastegate was shuttering in between shifts which i believe lead to the first turbo failure. as there was excessive play in the bearings.

On my second turbo I was surprised to find my exhaust side bearing wore out and lead to the oil seal/ring leaking and burning alot of oil. I took this turbo apart and found that the shaft showed signs of excessive heat because it was brown around where the bearing seats.

Anyways my question is where should i look to solve this problem....I have purchased a new blow off valve that works great except at low rpm i still hear the wastegate shutter between shifts. Or should i be looking at purchasing a thicker oil? Im only using the car during the summer and the temperature ranges between 15 and 30 degrees Celcius.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im about to go to a turbo rebuild center to get info from him and install my 3rd turbo in 2 months

Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Failure question (o'malley_808)

10w30, and check the feed line. it sounds like oil starvation to me... the feed line could be clogged
Old 09-01-2005, 08:53 PM

Location: We Cant Stop Here This Is Bat Country, So CaL, USDM
Default Re: Turbo Failure question (wantboost)

were both of these turbos brand new balanced units???

if you say you got them from SSauto etc noone is gonna help you.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Failure question (2000psi)

haha yeah ive heard about those guys...these turbos were rebuilt and solid when in installed tho, and both failed the same way. Also kinda a dumb question but i was reading on oil feed lines and restrictors. How do i measure my current line? And im confused whether i am supposed to have a -3 or -4 as there were mixed opinions on the archive.

Another question is how do i check for the feed line being clogged and where would it clog?

Thanks agian for the help
Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Failure question (o'malley_808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by o’malley_808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, before i start id like to say that I am new to the FI scene and i have gone through all the FAQ. Im still in school so i have little money, so any help you guys can give me would mean a great deal to me as ive had several turbo related failures.

I have a b16a2 with a T3/T4 TO4E running apprx 8psi. I have now experience two turbos which have blown due to play in the journal bearings. One turbo lasted almost a month, the other lasted several weeks.

Id like to add that i am running Castrol 5w30 with frequent oil changes.

When i first had the turbo installed my blow off valve was not working and my wastegate was shuttering in between shifts which i believe lead to the first turbo failure. as there was excessive play in the bearings.

On my second turbo I was surprised to find my exhaust side bearing wore out and lead to the oil seal/ring leaking and burning alot of oil. I took this turbo apart and found that the shaft showed signs of excessive heat because it was brown around where the bearing seats.

Anyways my question is where should i look to solve this problem....I have purchased a new blow off valve that works great except at low rpm i still hear the wastegate shutter between shifts. Or should i be looking at purchasing a thicker oil? Im only using the car during the summer and the temperature ranges between 15 and 30 degrees Celcius.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im about to go to a turbo rebuild center to get info from him and install my 3rd turbo in 2 months

Thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

during summer i run no lower than 15w50 or 20w50.. during winter i run 5w40. can't say if its the problem in your case, but certainly wouldn't hurt to run thicker weights and synthetic.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Turbo Failure question (vtec.dc2)

who supplied you with the turbos?