Notices

Turbo d16 Overboost problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo d16 Overboost problems

Hey guys, I am having troubles with overboosting.
I have a turbo d16, stock internals with a t3 Air Research turbo, I have an internal wastegate with a 8 pound spring but am hitting more than 12psi... I don't hit boost anymore because I saw it hit 12-15 psi more than once.

I checked the wastegate, it moves. the actuator arm also moves but is difficult.

I recently cut out my resonator and also put in a test pipe, could that cause the overboost?

Im hanging on a thread here i don't know what else to try.

Im new to this forum so take it easy on me haha any help would be amazing!
Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo d16 Overboost problems

test pipe change would not effect this issue.

Has this been happening since day one or started recently?

Check you signal line to the wastgate, make sure it is not pinched or cracked or disconnected.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

has the weather changed a lot where you are?

if it's done this from day one then the internal wastegate hole is too small and the actuator can't open the flapper enough.

the best option is to enlarge the hole so it flows more, this might require a larger flapper but normally you can open them up a good bit with the existing flapper.

what are you using to set boost pressure, just what the wastegate is set at or some controller?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

depending on exhaust diameter and how restrictive the cat was the test pipe can definitely cause an increase in boost pressure as you've reduced backpressure in the exhaust system and increased flow, this means the turbo not only spools slightly faster but the increase in flow means it takes more flow through the wastegate to keep boost levels in check.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
depending on exhaust diameter and how restrictive the cat was the test pipe can definitely cause an increase in boost pressure as you've reduced backpressure in the exhaust system and increased flow, this means the turbo not only spools slightly faster but the increase in flow means it takes more flow through the wastegate to keep boost levels in check.
It just started recently, its straight through my muffler is cut off to so idk ... Would that cause it?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

8 pound spring shouldn't be hitting 12 psi due to decreased back pressure.. Are u positive it's 8 # spring or is that just the boost you normally hit off the spring before exhaust was modded. Check for vac leak in WG vac line as this would ack like a manual boost controller increasing boost pressure
Old 02-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zaridar
8 pound spring shouldn't be hitting 12 psi due to decreased back pressure.. Are u positive it's 8 # spring or is that just the boost you normally hit off the spring before exhaust was modded. Check for vac leak in WG vac line as this would ack like a manual boost controller increasing boost pressure
Originally Posted by wantboost
I checked vac lines, all seemed to be intact. although when I pull of the the actuator arm, I can extend it a fair amount, when I put it back onto the clip of the wastegate and then pull it, I can maybe pull it 2 cm before it stops, could this maybe mean the preload on the actuator arm got messed up and is at the max that it can extend prevent the wastegate from opening?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:57 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

check flapper arm travel with the actuator unhooked, normally with internal wastegates the actuator has more travel than the flapper does, it will hit turbine housing or the turbine outlet elbow/flange before the actuator hits its travel limit

what size t3 is it? how is the turbine outlet designed, does it have a separate flapper on an elbow or is it like a 3 bolt outlet with the flapper in the housing?