Notices

turbo cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo cooling?

My question is:
when running water to a turbo, is it critical on how cold the water is?

My thought:
I'm running an Afi air to water intercooler, resevior, and I also have a dual pass heat exchanger. under normal driving conditions the water in the intercooler system will be cooler than that inside the engine,which might make it better used for turbo cooling. but my concern is one ice is added into the system, would that be too cold for the turbo?
Or just run the turbo off the engine like normal......Or just dont even run coolant to the gt turbo? AKA no warranty

Thoughts...

My build thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/my-first-honda-build-custom-afi-turbo-kit-etc-2456946/
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo cooling?

im taking it that your running the coolant for the turbo from the liquid to air intercooler setup? if so its not bad for it. but i have seen people not run any coolant lines for their turbo. as long as you wait for it to cool before shutting it off, i think its fine.

also, hows the liquid to air setup doing on the street? i didnt think they were worth it because of heat soak.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm602
im taking it that your running the coolant for the turbo from the liquid to air intercooler setup? if so its not bad for it. but i have seen people not run any coolant lines for their turbo. as long as you wait for it to cool before shutting it off, i think its fine.

also, hows the liquid to air setup doing on the street? i didnt think they were worth it because of heat soak.

not running yet. almost done.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he is running a GT series turbo which MUST be water cooled, the oil is only used for lubrication, unlike journal/bushing bearing turbos
Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really? hmmmm i didnt think you <b>had</b> to run coolant lines. i never said i wouldnt run them. less heat from the turbo = effiency + cooler iat's = power.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really? hmmmm i didnt think you <b>had</b> to run coolant lines. i never said i wouldnt run them. less heat from the turbo = effiency + cooler iat's = power.
true but turbos also create power and spool faster through the principal of thermodynamics... you get hot air when the compressor is working harder than intended and working outside of its island. (i think lol)
Old 12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was mine, I would keep the water to air cooler on its own.....I would think that the turbo would heat your ice water up so quickly that it would reduce the effiency of the intercooler, aka make your ice water into hot water, which doesn't cool your intake charge as much....just my opinion, no real data to back it up
Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed. not so good for street use. thats why you see all the pros running liquid to air, cause there only doing single passes only, so theres not enough time for heat soak. i havent seen very many liquid to air street setups.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by White.:R32
My question is:
when running water to a turbo, is it critical on how cold the water is?

My thought:
I'm running an Afi air to water intercooler, resevior, and I also have a dual pass heat exchanger. under normal driving conditions the water in the intercooler system will be cooler than that inside the engine,which might make it better used for turbo cooling. but my concern is one ice is added into the system, would that be too cold for the turbo?
Or just run the turbo off the engine like normal......Or just dont even run coolant to the gt turbo? AKA no warranty

Thoughts...

My build thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456946

The coolant lines on the GT turbo are for cooldown after run purposes. Journal style turbos have more oil flow through them because of the bearing design. Once you are romping on the car the CHRA heats up which is why its recomended you always allow the ca to idle for a few min afterwards for the oil to cool the center housing enough that it does not cook the oil inside the housing thus damaging the journal bearings and oil rings.

In a GT turbo the coolahnt runs through the turbo NOT to cool it while your driving or keep it cooler while boosting but for the same effect of letting the car idle with a journal bearing unit. What the coolant does is evaporates in the center section from extreme heat. this creats a vacuum effect so long as the coolant lines are below the level of the rad cap it will comtinue to siphon water untill the center section has cooled enough to not evaporate any more water that is entering the center section thus at the same time this is happening is acting to be sure that the oil does not cook onto the ball bearings of the turbo thus keeping things in tip top shape because we all know ballbearing center sections are quite a bit more money then a journal bearing CHRA.

If you have any questions on what i wrote feel free to ask i can explain more if nessesary
Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by irishflame27
he is running a GT series turbo which MUST be water cooled, the oil is only used for lubrication, unlike journal/bushing bearing turbos
nope they dont buy a turbo timer.

the OP: its your choice on where you want the coolant for the turbo to come from.