Notices

turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo build

my plan is to build my own turbo kit.
i have done alot of research alot of reading and alot of looking at pictures lol. i know all the parts i need and what to do. but what i wanna know is what turbo is best to use with a y7. im only gonna push at the maximum 10 psi prolly. cuz i want this to still be my daily but i really wanna have some good power. nothing prolly over 200whp.

so the main questions are this:
1. what would be the best turbo with what im looking for?
2. Any other parts that you think i should throw in or certain parts i should get?
3. also what so bad about an ebay kit? like if i was to get everthing from ebay except my turbo? why does everyone say NOOOO DONT BUY IT FROM EBAY!!! lol
Old 08-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo build

Originally Posted by tinted93eg
my plan is to build my own turbo kit.
i have done alot of research alot of reading and alot of looking at pictures lol. i know all the parts i need and what to do. but what i wanna know is what turbo is best to use with a y7. im only gonna push at the maximum 10 psi prolly. cuz i want this to still be my daily but i really wanna have some good power. nothing prolly over 200whp.

so the main questions are this:
1. what would be the best turbo with what im looking for?
2. Any other parts that you think i should throw in or certain parts i should get?
3. also what so bad about an ebay kit? like if i was to get everthing from ebay except my turbo? why does everyone say NOOOO DONT BUY IT FROM EBAY!!! lol
10psi is going to be different depending on the size of turbo you end up with. the turbo you get depends on what you want. If you want to autocross or road coarse or just dont want lag get something small.

if you going to drag race look into a t3/t4 or something larger. I have a t3/t4 and im not a huge fan of it because it doesnt boost till 3500 and by the time I get through 2 gears im going way to fast and I cant have much fun unless im at a track.. im thinking of swappin in a saab turbo or something smaller so I can have more fun.

for 200hp you will need bigger injectors and fuel pump.. 450cc's from a dsm work good and a walboro 255 is good as well. you can get by leaving stock internals. make effn sure you get all your crankcase ventilation in order. get a catch can, do the research. its pretty damn important. look into upgrading your brakes so you can stop once your going fast. I have 4 wheel disc from a del sol si that get me stopped great.

everyone says stay away from ebay kits because a majority of the stuff is garbage copies of real working parts that will break. you can spend 100 a turbo that will you will replace every 100miles (potentially) or 600 on one that will last a very long time, its up to you. Ebay turbos can last a long time, i know ppl that have made them work. but if you keep buying crap to replace crap it will keep breaking and you wil be spending more than one good part.

what happens when your cheap ebay kit wastegate malfunctions and you start boosting 18psi into your stock internals? spend 100 more bucks on a tial or 300+your time to rebuild your motor.

dont cheap out on your bov or your wastegate. you can find a 1g eclipse bov for cheap and they hold well in my exerience. a used tial is better than a 50dollar ebay gate.. but these are just my opinions.. you learn the hard way not to take shortcuts because you end up spending more in the long run.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this is what i want
i want to have my civic have 200whp a lil less a lil more idc. this is not going to be a track car or race car what so ever! just another civic with a turbo burnin ricers hahah and i wanna have the tight bov sound lol

so questions are:
-what turbo size should i use and what brand? please be exact!!!!
-also if the turbo comes with an internal wastegate can you use a external wastegate to? or what i know about turbos but at the same time im knew lol and just need some help.
-also say i buy like my turbo and exhaust manifold the main parts of a turbo (IMO) wouldnt it be fine just to get everything else off ebay? im not trying to drain my bank account with this build lol

ive seen some ebay turbos on youtube do first and second gear pulls and its ecactly what i want

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPDqBKAzDM
Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turbo size T3/T4 50trim or 57trim

Brand : Warner,Garrett,turbonetics, precision

Some people claim the ebay ones are good, but for me I think it's an unnecessary Russian roulette to go with an Ebay kit
Old 08-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the biggest problems withebay kits are the manifolds, I personally have seen 2 ebay turbos, and they work fine for as long as I knew the person with the car. those turbo brands are good, but they are over priced. good turbos are sold on ebay, these guys are just mentioning the cheap no-name ones. just my 2 cents. I have used an ssautochrome kit in the past (which most people hate and say that they break) and I had no problems with it. don't by something or not buy something because of where you bought it, ebay is a good way to increase sales, so not all of the stuff on ebay is crap.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tinted93eg
so this is what i want
i want to have my civic have 200whp a lil less a lil more idc. this is not going to be a track car or race car what so ever! just another civic with a turbo burnin ricers hahah and i wanna have the tight bov sound lol

so questions are:
-what turbo size should i use and what brand? please be exact!!!!
-also if the turbo comes with an internal wastegate can you use a external wastegate to? or what i know about turbos but at the same time im knew lol and just need some help.
-also say i buy like my turbo and exhaust manifold the main parts of a turbo (IMO) wouldnt it be fine just to get everything else off ebay? im not trying to drain my bank account with this build lol

ive seen some ebay turbos on youtube do first and second gear pulls and its ecactly what i want
if you dont want to drain your bank account stay na.. seriously, if you cheap out on this stuff things -will- break and you will be replacing parts left and right if not replacing motors left and right.
there ppl on here running 10's on nothing but offbrand stuff, but the reliability of said stuff I wouldnt put much money on.
your better off peicing your kit together of used good parts off craigslist/ebay if you want to save some cash.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so im going to go with this as my plan!
1. t3/t4 turbo .57 trim
2. log manifold
3. tial waste gate or another good brand
4. with any other items dont buy cheap but dont pay HUGE amounts. im gonna start looking for my turbo as we speak. and slowly piece EVERY PIECE together and hope to have it done within 3-4 months lol long but i have come to realization with my budget its gonna be awhile cuz i wanna just go with reliable parts.

but couple more questions:!
1. are there any good motor replacement parts that i can put on my motor to make it more reliable? but without having to pull motor out.
2. is having a side mount intercooler a really big difference in the cooling of air compared to front mount intercooler?

thank you so much for the great help guys! if theres any advice you wanna throw me go for it!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you really want to do it right you would pull the head and swap out the rods and pistons.. the d series rods are pencil thin, but theres pleanty of people pushing 200 range with all stock internals. At the very least i would highly suggest a rebuild especially doing the rings, and all the gaskets.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Log manifold, 14b / T25 turbo (even a 50 trim is fine), 550cc injectors ( DSM injectors are garbage; and this leaves you some room for err on the top side ) Yes, stay with a front mount intercooler, the difference is quite obvious, the front mount is a larger piece sucking in more available air to cool your motor down.

Make sure your motor is in tip top condition with all routine maintenance up to date. Do this PRIOR to going turbo, I'm sick of seeing kids blow their motors because they just wanted to be b00sted, with no care as to what will happen... Then complain when the motor is gone.

Oh, and please spend good money on a tune. When you're messing with stock internals, your tune is what will make or break you.