Notices

turbo b16 engine code

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo b16 engine code

Ok, im new to the turbo scene, but ive done a fair amount of research but im still no god.

i currently have a jdm b16 in my 90 hatch, have it converted to obd1 p72 for an ecu and currently running a safc2 for a basic tune(IK IK everyone thinks there crap so i dont need to hear that). aem wideband's in there too. motors stock as far as head and block go. recently installed a 16g with a 2.5" downpipe just to get started. Ive got the car running and the major bugs worked out. i ran the car for a few days without touching the map and quickly found out that thats no good( kept getting check engine code). put a map bypass in from blox today, thinking that would fix it.

what happens is that i run for a few mins fine, drive slow for say maybe 5 mins, then the car sorta studders for a moment and then i get the check engine light and run real rich on the afr. like 10. i leaned down the settings almost to stock thinkin maybe i was too rich for just plain driving, but it didnt help.

when i do get goin and up into boost i obviously run lean( 15.7-16+) but i need some dsm injector clips cuz i have 440s but they dont clip in and ill wire up the injector box.

any idea of what could still be causing this?
thanks in advance
Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo b16 engine code

for one you are running the wrong ECU. P72 is for a GSR with secondary Butterflies.

You do Need bigger injectors, would recomend a fuel pump.

the OEM MAP is good to around 11 psi of boost. Missing links are a past time. now we have several affordable sensors

You do Need a Tune and let someone with knowledge tune it
Old 09-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Trial User

ok, well i have access to get a po6 chipped for a 16g. would that help me out for a start and get it tuned? or what would be ideal to look for?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RedneckRicer
for one you are running the wrong ECU. P72 is for a GSR with secondary Butterflies.

You do Need bigger injectors, would recomend a fuel pump.

the OEM MAP is good to around 11 psi of boost. Missing links are a past time. now we have several affordable sensors

You do Need a Tune and let someone with knowledge tune it
He can run a P72 gsr with knock board on his B16. The best solution is to have it chipped and disable IAB in the software.

what is the code that the ecu is giving you?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Trial User

i dont know what the code is. i think i have it figured out tho. when i put the turbo on the car i adjusted the safc so that i had way more fuel than i needed. i did this on purpose so i was super super safe and didnt run lean.

i turned the settings back down for normal driving and got better readings on the wideband, but still got the engine light. i turned them a little leaner and it runs much better for normal driving and out of boost. i think what had happened is i ran so so rich for a while that the computer saw too much fuel and thru that code. so now i dont get the code.

i understand that getting a chipped ecu and having it tuned would be the best route, but thats going to have to wait. i will be putting in the 440s as soon as i can find some dsm clips.

thanks, Patrick