Notices

tuning, obd2 and emissions, how's it done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning, obd2 and emissions, how's it done?

After getting no replies in the Tuning section I decided to repost here. Hopefully you FI guys have some insight!

So I'm revisiting the same problem I have yet to find a great answer to. Passing emissions and tuning an OBD 2 vehicle. Figured I would find out how ppl here on honda-tech are doing it. I know the right way to get the tuning done would be down convert to OBD1, chipped ECU, and chrome/hondata/neptune/etc. but that's just not an option when the time comes for emissions (yearly here in PA).

Additionally I know that most piggy back systems are inadequate for proper tuning. So what do you guys recommend? How are others passing emissions? I need something that will allow me to at LEAST tune for compensation of lower compression pistons.

Preferably I would like to not have to rip off turbo, manifold, injectors, etc. each year. So far the best idea I have is to run OBD 1 during the year and pick up something like the AEM FIC for passing emissions. Pull the wastegate spring and just have a light tune for larger injectors and lower compression.

Comments, suggestions?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning, obd2 and emissions, how's it done? (bungalo101)

If you have an external wastegate, this is the best option for you. remove the spring for the wastegate and plug in some OBD1 injectors from a Bseries motor (LS). Plug in your OBD2A/B ECU in and go test. The lower compression should not throw codes.

What other mods haev you done? What about the cat and the secondary O2.

I had to pass every year in GA with a greddy kit.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning, obd2 and emissions, how's it done? (blaze the chemi)

Currently stock with bolt ons. Wanted to plan everything out right before I jumped into the FI world. Here's the projected setup:

1999 Civic SI
JDM b16 block
CP Pistons 9.0:1
Eagle Rods
Garrett 57 Trim
RC 750cc w/ OBD2 -> OBD 1 plug n play clips
Competition Stage 4 Clutch
Competition 12 lbs. Flywheel
Precision 600 hp intercooler
Walbro 255 lph
Neukin AC Ramhorn
3" DP, Cat, Exhaust (recirc dump tube for passing emissions?)
Tial wastegate (not sure if I will need 38 or 44 for pullin the spring to pass emissions)
Tial BOV

The cat and 2nd O2 will still be on there. I assumed I would need a recirc dump tube to pass. The main problem I see is a tune for low compression pistons. I'm not sure running stock ECU will cut it. It wouldn't throw codes, but will it be safe to drive? I.e. too rich = cylinder wash, too lean = kaboom?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bungalo101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Currently stock with bolt ons. Wanted to plan everything out right before I jumped into the FI world. Here's the projected setup:

1999 Civic SI
JDM b16 block
CP Pistons 9.0:1
Eagle Rods
Garrett 57 Trim
RC 750cc w/ OBD2 -&gt; OBD 1 plug n play clips
Competition Stage 4 Clutch
Competition 12 lbs. Flywheel
Precision 600 hp intercooler
Walbro 255 lph
Neukin AC Ramhorn
3" DP, Cat, Exhaust (recirc dump tube for passing emissions?)
Tial wastegate (not sure if I will need 38 or 44 for pullin the spring to pass emissions)
Tial BOV

The cat and 2nd O2 will still be on there. I assumed I would need a recirc dump tube to pass. The main problem I see is a tune for low compression pistons. I'm not sure running stock ECU will cut it. It wouldn't throw codes, but will it be safe to drive? I.e. too rich = cylinder wash, too lean = kaboom?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think you will be fine. The CR is not as dramatic as increasing the bore.

The P&P clips from RC are a cool idea. Just be sure to keep your OBD2 injectors for emissions time and your P2T ECU. The o-rings for obd1 injectors just use from the LS teg you can get at the local acura stealership.

I have a magnaflow cat and it has finally crapped out on me. I bought it 3 years ago for about $90. I'm not sure how long the other cats last on the market.

Do they visually inspect up in PA? They don't here in GA. That way you could get around doing a recir WG pipe. What type of engine management do you plan on using. I have my AEM EMS 1010 for sale. It plugs right into your harness
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure about the visual inspection. I'm debating on going to my mechanic and finding out what he would fail me for. At the worst I would be ripping off the turbo/mani and putting a modified header (3" collector welded on to meet with the new cat) or fabbing up some type of pipe to connect the mani directly to the dp for emissions time. I would like to have things set up with as little to alter as possible since this will be done once a year.

Probably going with Neptune. I want Jeff Evans to tune it as he isn't too far away from me and I've heard great things about him.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are worried about the visual fail then i'd get the recirculated dumptube. It's sounds like you are going for a killer street setup and not a high horsepower setup. Keep it streetable just incase you ever moved somewhere different. Switching all that crap once a year would suck especially taking the piping, manifold, turbo, oil feed lines...etc. I hated even doing the minor things to my greddy setup. Good luck with everything and have fun though. This is about as much information as I can give with my experience with passing emissions with a turbo setup.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated

Anyone else with thoughts, comments? I'm open to just about any and all advice!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
i HAS questions ?

I went through the same problem in NY. I'm working on something right now and hopefully I'll be able to test it sometime this summer.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tuning, obd2 and emissions, how's it done? (.dave)

So what's your game plan? If it's not too secret please share with us
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bungalo101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what's your game plan? If it's not too secret please share with us </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll keep you guys updated, I have a little bit more research to do before I start on it.