Notices

Troubleshooting: No boost once warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: No boost once warmed up

Seeing if anyone can help me diagnose my turbo woes. This problem has progressively gotten worse and now it's to the point that once the car is warmed up, there is no boost. The setup is a t4 on an s2k with a log style manifold. The turbo itself slightly buts up against the side wall and has rubbed and this is evident on both the wall and the compressor housing. The car has been turboed for about 5 months now and problem has made itself evident just recently.

What happens is that once the car is warmed up and I get on the throttle, a very loud "whirring" noise (almost sounds like a high pitch vibration) is emmited and is varied on how much throttle is given. No boost is produced when this sound is made and it just gets louder when the throttle is depressed.

I've narrowed it down the turbo and wastegate; however, upon taken off the wastegate and inspecting it, the shaft is still in tact and the valve moves up and down freely and the diaphram is still in tact with no holes or tears.

The turbo was removed and superficially inspected and othing seems to be loose; however, it was not as thorough as a check as the wastegate. I did not take it apart. The wheel spins very freely and while on the car, the wheel is moving with the exhaust.

i was told that possibly the seals or something is causing this problem once warmed up, but I'm not too sure which seals it could be.

If you have any insight or can help in shedding some light on the matter that would be fantastic!!

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Troubleshooting: No boost once warmed up

How well have you checked the charge pipes and fmic for leaks?

It builds boost before it reaches operating temp?
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jfoster
How well have you checked the charge pipes and fmic for leaks?

It builds boost before it reaches operating temp?
Charge pipes should be sweet as. I may pull the bumper off to have a look at the connections at the IC; however, if this were the culprit, wouldn't it not make any boost at all?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how is the turbo shaft play
Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure you need to rebuild your turbo. Mine had significant shaft play and it would only build boost when I just started the car up. Then after that it would just whine and blow white smoke no boost.

You should look into the cause of the problem while you pull the turbo off. Is there a kink in your oil drain line causing high oil pressure (backup) in your turbo? That was the case in my setup.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by bigb16
I'm pretty sure you need to rebuild your turbo. Mine had significant shaft play and it would only build boost when I just started the car up. Then after that it would just whine and blow white smoke no boost.

You should look into the cause of the problem while you pull the turbo off. Is there a kink in your oil drain line causing high oil pressure (backup) in your turbo? That was the case in my setup.
yeah, there's no white smoke that I can see; however, it's just that. When the car is warmed up nice and hot, that sound comes and it won't build boost. But when the car has been sitting and I start to drive it, it'll boost fine...until warm!

I was chatting to some other lads and they said the same thing, that they would hear a loud whirring noise when accelerating and it ended up being the turbine seals. The only thing is that I couldn't see any smoke coming out...or maybe I just wasn't really looking.

The shaft play seems to be okay and it doesn't hit the side walls when wiggled, but like I said, the turbo's out and I'll be taking it in because when I turned it over and the compressor outlet was facing down, it puked up some oil! I Think this was because before I was using a -4 line and it was smoking at idle. I then added a restrictor and then the smoke went away.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM

TTT

Still making that annoying sound once warmed up!!