Notices

Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read

Well I took the front end off, then the intercooler and noticed a tiny amount of oil on the compressor side of the piping, and that side of the intercooler, its a nearly insignificant amount of oil, but still it really worries me. My car has been boosting for 3 months now, no problems. My oil return line is a tad leaky, but this still probably doesn't explain why I have any oil in my piping like I do.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read (shadowdawn)

I think most turbo's that are oil cooled have some amount of oil in the piping.. seals arent perfect.... as long as it's not running out like a fountain or pooled up in places like you poured it in there.. shouldnt be a rpoblem..

i dont look at mine.. i'm not smoking.. so opeing them up will just make me paranoid..
Old 06-27-2002, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read (GSRwBOOST)

Yea like I said its a SMALL amount of oil.... my turbo is also water-cooled too...and yesterday I took one side of that heater hose off to replace it cause it was kinked... and the coolant bleed like a fountain all over the lower part of the car until it was finished... must have lost like a gallon (replaced it and its not leaking, running fine) but it did SOAK the silicone on the compressor to IC piping... and mabye somehow that or the oil that leaks a tad from the return line got into the IC piping somehow? or mabye like you said all turbos leak to a certain extent...

Well anyway the intake side of the intercooler is ok, and that piping shows NO signs of oil whatsoever, I just really don't wanna have to rebuild the turbo cause I have no time or money for that at all
Old 06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read (shadowdawn)

If the seals were bad it would be in puddles in the pipes... a slight film of oil is normal I think...

I left my car sit for a week and didnt drive it.. w/ no oil in the car... getting repairs done... and after i put oil in and got it started, it smoked until the seals got wet again, then stopped..... so i stopped worrying
Old 06-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read (GSRwBOOST)

It shouldn't have any oil at all on the compressor inlet and outlet. Your seals are worn. The more worn the seals get, the more oil you'll see.

Old 06-27-2002, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took my intercooler off today... hoepfully this isen't bad! read (BG Boost)

If you have a reusable filter that you need to clean and then oil the residue could be coming from the filter. Slightly to much oil on the filter and it is getting sucked through the turbo? Just a thought.