Notices

double boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double boost

would it be feasible to strap on a jrsc along with a garrett t3/t4 on an 8.8:0 CR engine?
Old 06-27-2002, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: double boost (mntdewred)

it's physically possible. The meguiars type-r has an hks turbo and a blower on it. runs like a total of like 20psi on a stock block type-r.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: double boost (mntdewred)

I was going to try this and see what happened but i never got answers to my questions. Here are some of the possible problems that could occur:

1. Boost from the turbocharger wouldnt be allowed into the engine without pushing the blades on the supercharger. If you look awhile back in SCC there was an MR-2 running dual blowers from an old school hks kit. The kit allowed a bypass for the turbocharger air to enter into the engine so it wouldnt interfer with the supercharger blades. There are ways around this, but just bolt the jrsc on and running a turbocharger on top of it isnt going to work.

2. Intake temps are going to be drastic with the jrsc. The turbo with an intercooler will cool the turbocharger air down, but the jrsc will just heat the air up again entering the engine. This is going to be a big problem since the intake temps will be drastic just like running the jrsc by itself.

3. The blades in the jrsc are known to melt themselves at higher boost levels. If you are running high boost on the turbocharger, you will be pushing the blades faster and faster thereby creating this overheating effect and possibly melting the blades.

I have thought about doing this a few times, but never actually went any further. You can achieve the power you want with a single turbocharger. I would love to hear other suggestions on how this would be possible to work. I always wanted to know more information on the hks twin charged itr, on how they countered the air coming into the engine by the turbocharger.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:09 PM
filetofit

Default Re: double boost (boosted hybrid)

Maybe you could run them in parallel somehow using a big *** check valve on each one so they wouldn't push air down each others throat when one is working and the other isn't (low/high RPM).
Old 06-27-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: double boost (boosted hybrid)

What you would want to do is run a big turbo, something that you wouldn''t use in a normal set because of lag worries. This way, the SC will take over the low end power and the big turbo (which you would want to START spooling at around 5500~6000rpms) would take care of your high end....