Notices

Took car to the dyno... Need help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took car to the dyno... Need help troubleshooting

So I took the car too the dyno. We made 10 pulls and couldn't get the car to REV over 5800. It would climb, then hit a wall at around 5800RPM and bounce between 5800 - 6200 RPM. Like it was hitting a rev limiter.

I have replaced the following
Aem ECU
AEM twin Fire box
T1 Trigger

What else would cause this problem. Their are no rev limiters turned on in the AEM. So what would cause this?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took car to the dyno... Need help troubleshooting

ignition>spark gap?
vtec>wiring issue?>
mechanical issue>vtec solenoid?
Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18c1turboedEK
So I took the car too the dyno. We made 10 pulls and couldn't get the car to REV over 5800. It would climb, then hit a wall at around 5800RPM and bounce between 5800 - 6200 RPM. Like it was hitting a rev limiter.

I have replaced the following
Aem ECU
AEM twin Fire box
T1 Trigger

What else would cause this problem. Their are no rev limiters turned on in the AEM. So what would cause this?
Not too familiar with the AEM ecu but does it have a built in launch control (2 step)? If it does, how is it wired up? I had the same problem with mine but Im running the Hondata S300 and the launch control is hooked up to the speed sensor. And what happened was the plug came off the speed sensor and the ecu is thinking that the car is not moving so then it turns the launch control on. If the setting (example) of the launch control is set to 6000 rpm it will bounce between 5800-6200. Sounds like you're launch control is on.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...if it's ignition problems it will sputter and not hold the rpm between 5800-6200. And if it's the vtec solenoid it will still go but won't make power....
And one more possibility is boost leak...your tuner should be able to help you find what the problem is by looking at the graphs...or atleast minimize some of the possibility. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has 2 step set up on a clutch switch, I tought it was that also.So i ripped it out of the car while on the dyno. Boost leak aint the problem since we never hit or got anywhere near boost. I can go outside and rev the car up and it contniues too do the same thing.

I have ripped the harness out of the car and im getting a milspec harness now. LAst night i also took the head off the car thinking something is wrong with that.2 cylinders port have alot of oil in them...Im sending the head back to get inspected now. Pretty much i dont know what else it could be.

Ive had 3 tuners look at the map and the datalog and noone can seem too find a problem,other then it cutting out.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bet its wiring or vtec
Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really sounds like a "burnout rev limit" is switched on
Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id give morgan at synapse motorsport a call, i know ryan smith with his d series drag car had a very similar issue that several tuners across the country couldnt figure out.

i know you said you removed it all together but did you switch the 2 step input as always off in the EMS? also wouldnt hurt to just post up a link to the cal and log for us to dl and look at.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys pay a lot of money for that AEM box and part of the reason is tech support....call AEM
Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

High speed internal datalog T2per, Crank tooth period, Cam-Crank, Stat Sync, Timing Errors, Engine Load (map) and TPS as basic channels for troubleshooting. Watch for irregularities in the cam/crank signals or basic sensors (map/tps). Make sure you have the pairing for the twin fire capacitors correct. The instructions are wrong and will create a misfiring like you have described. Cylinders 1 and 4 are paired on the capacitor #1 and Cylinders 2 and 3 are paired on the capacitor #2. AEM has a single capacitor firing a cylinder and the next proceeding one in the firing order, drains the cap and not enough charge time at high rpm to fire at full power. A misfire occurs from this. Hope that helps.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for the help guys. I'm going too have too test everything when I get the car back toghter now.I'm getting a milspec harness just too rule out wiring now.