Notices

Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky?

My timing belt slipped one day while I was tuning my car. I was decellerating and my car all of sudden just dies. So I try to start it again with no luck. I try to figure out whats wrong thinking I broke my cam. But after taking the valve cover off I noticed my belt was hella loose and it skipped a few teeth or more. I did a compression test as well as a leakdown test with no signs of a problem.

Have many of you had this same luck? Cause I almost had a mental breakdown when it happened LOL. I seriously thought my motor was fucked. My compression was 190 across the board, and Speedline did a leakdown test for me and came to be 0-1 percent.

I was just curious, it probably helps that we have low compression pistons.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (BodyKits NW)

Once we had this white eg style hatch at the shop when i was in automotive schooling. Dude brings it in and is like the alternator is messed up the car wont start. I was like OK wtf.. I was sitting there cranking the **** out out of it and of course it wouldnt start. After that checked under the hood nothing seemed wrong had spark and fuel i was like ok maybe the t belt is done. Removed the cover to reveal a seized water pump pulley that basicaly burned the belt off. I was thinking ok the car is toast and was about to just tell the guy his car was done forever..Not to much of a loss right 1992 hatch extreme piece of **** busted everything on it lol with like 160k on it. Well long story short leakdown tests perfect so we replaced the timing belt and water pump car is still on the road today and this is 2 years later. So yes it is entirely possible for the car to still be fine.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (Treblarefils)

I sheared a cam key once, no damage. replaced the cam, threw the belt back on, good as new.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (warrick)

Ive also gotten lucky with a snapped timing belt on my old B16.
Put a new belt on, and all seemed fine. Ran, compression tested, and pulled the same vacuum at idle.

So far, It looks like yours is ok. Had it tagged a valve, your leak down and comp. #'s would show a low hole.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a lower compression piston chances are your good to go... you should have enough piston to valve clearance if your belt broke, just re time and new belt and you should be back on the road.. Betcha its pretty scary
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HAPPENEND TWICE! It was freaky as hell.

First time ALL THE WAY from Vancouver to LA, the belt slipped close to Bakersfield. The problem is that the ST Corsa cam gears aren't exactly annodized properly and so the belt ate OEM grooves into the gears, and then it just slipped off as the teeth were getting ripped off.

Second time, i was doing a street tune. The wierd thing was the cam seal popped out, and so oil got all over the belt and gears and resulted in the belt slipping off...

Both times, I was lucky. With little to no problems to my motor. Thank Goodness...
Old 08-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (Redwidow)

The only thing you really have to worry about with you timing belt breaking or slipping is bending your valves. If your leak down and compression tests came back fine on all cylinders you shouldn't have any thing to worry about.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (bubbahatch92)

I just recently (a week ago) had my t belt snap. Same thing, happened on decel. I took the head off to check the valves and it seems nothing had even hit. No marks on the pistons or valves. No bends. The only thing that happened was some pretty bad scoring on the cam journals. Still had to buy a new head. Just glad it didn't touch those pretty CP pistons in there!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (99blusi)

Mine did the same thing. I seem to have no damage also as that was 20K miles ago and I've been boosting ever since.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have slipped a belt, fixed the belt and the car still ran fine and had good compression(190+). it just had alot of lifter noise, after pulling the head, I saw the slightly bent valves.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (bubbahatch92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubbahatch92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only thing you really have to worry about with you timing belt breaking or slipping is bending your valves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so..

Bent valves get bent by hitting something, right, like when a valve is bent it has been hit by the piston, there is probably gonna be a lot of damage in the piston or pistons that made this contact, and lets not hope that little bent valve or valves don't snap off and jump around like lotto ***** in the chamber. You surely can loose your valves, head, pistons and cyclinder walls..
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (warrick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warrick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I sheared a cam key once, no damage. replaced the cam, threw the belt back on, good as new.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing happend to me. hell i even boosted the motor a few months later with no problems
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (blackeg)

my friend shredded the belt on his jdm h22 and it was just fine. He got lucky.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My timing belt slipped one day while I was tuning my car. I was decellerating and my car all of sudden just dies. So I try to start it again with no luck. I try to figure out whats wrong thinking I broke my cam. But after taking the valve cover off I noticed my belt was hella loose and it skipped a few teeth or more. I did a compression test as well as a leakdown test with no signs of a problem.

Have many of you had this same luck? Cause I almost had a mental breakdown when it happened LOL. I seriously thought my motor was fucked. My compression was 190 across the board, and Speedline did a leakdown test for me and came to be 0-1 percent.

I was just curious, it probably helps that we have low compression pistons.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

stock cam gears? belt? i wouldn't expect it to happen if all stock
Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i comletely built a ls and after 56 miles the intake cam lock gave and snaped the cam off at the gear and sent the timing belt around the crank pulley. it sucks cause those were exospeed stage 2 and didnt get to see how strong it was. but my b16 pistons were fine. no marks on piston or valves. so after new parts ill crank it and hope its good.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Slipped. How many have you been lucky? (ntegnifong)

my timing belt snaped last week in 3rd gear going in boost and i have some huge cams with 10.2:1 comp flat top pistons, so i know i had bent valves pulled the head and every intake valve was bent and 2 ex valves lucky i had a new set of 16 ss valves in stock for my head so i did a valve job and puting the head back on tomorow

******* autozone belt i had for a few years