Notices

Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help.

Well, after 6psi for three weeks on FMU, my car is blowing white smoke. Milky stuff on oil cap so its definitely coolant. I did a lot of searching on white smoke, and I'm hoping its my head gasket. My car still runs fine, idles fine. But I also read that there could be a crack in my sleeves, and I was wondering, if there was a crack, or a hairline crack, would it smoke a lot and run fine? Would I be able to see a hairline crack when I take my head off? If it is my gasket, why did it blow so easily? The motor only had 40k, and my plugs were looking fine. At idle, the fuel pressure was at 52psi, and had a intank pump, and a 12:1 FMU. I know, I'm going to get hondata after the rebuild. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (youngkow)

its probably your gasket. if you had a crack in a sleeve there wont be compression in that cylinder and would run like **** or not run at all.

do a compression and leak down

did you ever hear detonation while boosting............how did you car run.

52psi at idle + fuel pump + FMU sounds like you were running seriously rich and this can cause detonation.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (dirtySOHC's)

I didn't hear any detonation, and from the spark plugs, I didn't see any signs of detonation. No peppery spots or anything. I'm praying its a head gasket, but I won't know till I pull the head on sunday. Also, do I need to do anything to the head or block when I replace the gasket, or can I just make sure everything is straight, and just put it on? Thanks for the help, and sorry again for all those re-posts. My comp went haywire too.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (youngkow)

You cannot safely run an intank pump with a 12:1 FMU. There isn't an in-tank out there that will keep up with the fuel pressure required to run a 12:1 disk at 6 psi of boost.

Sonny
Old 05-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You cannot safely run an intank pump with a 12:1 FMU. There isn't an in-tank out there that will keep up with the fuel pressure required to run a 12:1 disk at 6 psi of boost.

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to start anything but i ran 7psi daily with a intank and 12:1 with no problems.
I don't recomend doing so, but hey, i don't recomend much of anything that i do.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:25 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be an inline correct?
Old 05-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (b16ahybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not to start anything but i ran 7psi daily with a intank and 12:1 with no problems.
I don't recomend doing so, but hey, i don't recomend much of anything that i do. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Consider yourself lucky. Do the math...7psi x 12 = 84 psi of added pressure by the FMU. If your car has around 45 psi of fuel pressure at atmospheric (0 psi/0"), the peak fuel pressure required is 129 psi.

You may have gotten away with it because you were running too rich, but I can almost assure you that your pump was not able to put out 129 psi. With the Walbro GSS342 (the ***** heffa high output pump), I've watched the fuel pressure start to drop at around 7000 rpm on my buddy's car (he has 310cc injectors...pressure was holding steady at 90 psi and started to fall). I had the same setup on my car with stock injectors and I'd start to lose pressure at the same point (105 psi though).

Sonny
Old 05-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Ok, it looks like it is my head gasket. But is there any other way to check that I don't have any small cracks in my sleeve. If it is cracked, would it be visible? Head and block seems straight, so I can just put the new gasket on without doing anything else? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Three weeks of boosting, and my car is funged. Someone please help. (jz)

Sorry, gonna go hondata soon after I install the head gasket.