Notices

Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help

I have noticed that after the turbo my car is starting to smoke (white) a little bit. I can't tell if I'm burning much oil right now, cuz I had a leak which ate about 1/2 quart. I fixed the leak yesterday and filled it back up to right above the top point. I will see if it's still doing it today. Is this normal for a boosted car? I have seen a lot of boosted cars that burn a little bit and smoke some, and almost thought it was normal now once you add on the boost.

I'm also starting to lean out a little bit after I boost in a gear for more than like 5-6 seconds. I start out at like 2500 and go WOT. It will be right on the edge of stoich/rich, and slowly creep over to lean the longer I hold in to it. I'm running stock injectors w/ a Vortech 12:1 FMU right now and the stock fuel pump (I have a Walbro 255intank ready to put in, but thinking about selling it and getting an inline for the FMU...What do you think?).

Any help?

jB
Old 09-08-2002, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (PeloTudo AKA Whitey)

get the inline NOW
fmu needs pressure!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (sutrusu)

You are leaning out because the walbro CANNOT make the insane fuel pressures the fmu needs, and if it can't make the 100+psi fuel pressure guess what, you lean out ALOT and you will blow your motor...... even after having a fmu setup on my car for a while inline +fmu I started to lean out a bit and I changed nothing in the car.... I think the stock injectors just start failing under boost after a while...
Old 09-08-2002, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (shadowdawn)

yep, you need that pump ASAP. go w/ the inline, you should be set...
Old 09-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (CzanSOHC)

If you have a good walbro intank, why not go ahead and put it in? i'm sure thats your problem. at the high rpms you're having trouble attaining the insane pressures required by that 12:1 FMU.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (Jared)

Even still fact is, a high pressure walbro intank only will NOT be able to handle much over 90psi of fuel pressure, and at 7lbs of boost the 12:1 is making 84psi of fuel pressure PLUS the 40psi base which is 124psi of fuel pressure total, no walbro is gonna keep up with that fuel pressure alone. Mabye at 5psi when its only 100psi of fuel pressure you won't lean out AS much but still you need an inline if you want to run more then 5psi of boost with an intank only.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (PeloTudo AKA Whitey)

use this bit of advise,ive been there.put the walbro in,if you have it use it,thats what i run in mine,you can use the fmu,but your biggest problem is going to be the small injectors,the pressure you put on the injectors the worse it will flow,too much pressure actually overworks them and kills them ,if you get a good set of rc's,like 310 or 370 you will be set,i gaurantee it,i had the same problem,using stock injectors on any turbo set up is a no no.if you got o a set of 370's,they dont have to work as hard,the fuel pump wont have a problem,you dont need 124 psi of fuel to run your 370's,im running a 4:1 disc in my fmu,with a base of 42 psi @ 10 pounds of boost,so i hit approx. 82 psi fuel pressure,which is no problem at all for my walbro 255.and,i dont lean out at all,i even use my vafc to lean it out some.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (civictypenos)

Thanks guys.

Right now I ran out of $$$ right before I got everything done. Some unexpected bills came up real quick on me (Today actually). I was thinking that if I go w/ the inline now and not have to pay for the injectors/SAFC, that I would be able to do that in a few months down the road when I can get caught up.

Looks like I'm not going to be boosting much until I can get an inline or get this intank in w/ some injectors.

Does anyone have any answers about the smoking though?

jB

Old 09-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Smoking, and leaning out after a few secs of boost...help (PeloTudo AKA Gringo)

yea, its saying "sell ed9 the turbo kit for cheap and pay your bills"