Notices

Thermostat problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thermostat problem

Guys I'm having a problem that is puzzling, i have a b16 motor boosted, i have never used a thermostat in it, but now I decided to install one, problem is wenever i put it in the fans won't come on an d car starts to overheat at idle, but once I take back out the thermostat the fans come in, I used a gates thermostat and a stock one and d same problem, the thermostats are working cause I boiled them in water an they opened plus wen i took it out of the engine while it still hot it was open, the car fans work fine without the thermostat but they won't come on once I put it in, im using a stock fab switch, and running Neptune engine management,
Old 04-12-2016, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Thermostat problem

either the thermostat is not opening properly or the system was not bleed well.

I just bled my coolant last night its definitely a process to get all the air out, Took about 20 mins
Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
either the thermostat is not opening properly or the system was not bleed well.

I just bled my coolant last night its definitely a process to get all the air out, Took about 20 mins
The thermostats are opening properly based on my tests, how do I bleed the system properly tho, my engine doesn't have a bleed nipple
Old 04-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack up front of car or park on an upward hill
remove radiator cap, fill coolant

start car let idle, leave radiator cap off fill coolant as needed,
I would also recommend increasing engine speed to 2k RPM and squeezing both radiator hoses periodically this is what worked best for me

Keep doing this until your not seeing any bubbles, dont forget to fill the overfill once your done filling radiator
put the cap back on let cool, double check coolant, take a 30 min drive, let fully cool and top off coolant one last time

Old 04-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack up front of car or park on an upward hill
remove radiator cap, fill coolant

start car let idle, leave radiator cap off fill coolant as needed,
I would also recommend increasing engine speed to 2k RPM and squeezing both radiator hoses periodically this is what worked best for me

Keep doing this until your not seeing any bubbles, dont forget to fill the overfill once your done filling radiator
put the cap back on let cool, double check coolant, take a 30 min drive, let fully cool and top off coolant one last time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUpXgAJ1gjU
Ok will try, but i doubt that's my problem
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your fan switch needs to read the correct coolant temp, if theres an air pocket it cant read properly. you say with no thermostat your fans work properly.

Are you monitoring your coolant temps via neptune? I do this in hondata and my fans come on properly and I can even change what temp they come on at.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your fan switch needs to read the correct coolant temp, if theres an air pocket it cant read properly. you say with no thermostat your fans work properly.

Are you monitoring your coolant temps via neptune? I do this in hondata and my fans come on properly and I can even change what temp they come on at.
Ok i see, so installing the thermostat makes air get in d system? Cause my fans work fine without the thermostat, i monitor the coolant Temps from mechanical Guage
Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when u remove the thermo housing yes some coolant is drained and you are left with an air pocket, additionally you cant bleed the system properly until the thermostat has opened and there is coolant flowing through the system

while watching your gauge your thermo should open up arround 185 and the fans should come on at about 200F depending on what you have it set to in neptune stock switch is about 200F

when I monitored my fans with hondata they were comming on at 202F (stock sensor). I was able to lower this in my hondata software to 190F I assume neptune can do the same but I have not used neptune before
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when u remove the thermo housing yes some coolant is drained and you are left with an air pocket, additionally you cant bleed the system properly until the thermostat has opened and there is coolant flowing through the system

while watching your gauge your thermo should open up arround 185 and the fans should come on at about 200F depending on what you have it set to in neptune stock switch is about 200F

when I monitored my fans with hondata they were comming on at 202F (stock sensor). I was able to lower this in my hondata software to 190F I assume neptune can do the same but I have not used neptune before
Ok so I have to keep the radiator open till d thermostat opens to get out all the air? But by that the car will be pushing the water out the radiator, and even after my thermostat opens the fans don't come on, what will be the result if i have in the thermostat an run the fans straight, meaning keep dem on constantly
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt recomend keeping fans on at all times, the thermo switch is there for a reason (too keep your engine at optimum temp), when you reach higher speeds the natural air flow and fan will be fighting eachother. But you COULD do this if you want, your fan could fail prematurely since its running at all times.

did u disconnect the plug on the thermostat housing when u installed? please check to make sure its plugged in and not damaged. also try jumping the connection to verify the fans come on. Basically its a simple switch once its at correct temp it turns the fans on. if your fans come on when jumping it theres two possibilities 1. fan switch is broken 2. its not reaching the temperature at which it turns fans on

by the fact the your fans come on with no thermostat it sounds like the switch is working properly so either its not plugged in/broken connection or the fan switch is not getting hot enough
Old 04-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt recomend keeping fans on at all times, the thermo switch is there for a reason (too keep your engine at optimum temp), when you reach higher speeds the natural air flow and fan will be fighting eachother. But you COULD do this if you want, your fan could fail prematurely since its running at all times.

did u disconnect the plug on the thermostat housing when u installed? please check to make sure its plugged in and not damaged. also try jumping the connection to verify the fans come on. Basically its a simple switch once its at correct temp it turns the fans on. if your fans come on when jumping it theres two possibilities 1. fan switch is broken 2. its not reaching the temperature at which it turns fans on

by the fact the your fans come on with no thermostat it sounds like the switch is working properly so either its not plugged in/broken connection or the fan switch is not getting hot enough
Oh ok, the switch is working cause they fans come on quite fine without the thermostat, also I had jumped the fan an they came on too, I think the switch is not getting hot enough to turn on the fans wen i put in the thermostat
Old 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup....so basically its not getting hot enuff

thats why i am recommending proper bleeding as air does not conduct heat like coolant does

monitor your temp gauge they should come on shortly after 200F
Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup....so basically its not getting hot enuff

thats why i am recommending proper bleeding as air does not conduct heat like coolant does

monitor your temp gauge they should come on shortly after 200F
Ok gonna try that and see, but i didn't need to bleed the system properly wen i didn't have in the thermostat an it worked fine
Old 04-13-2016, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First question. Is it oem thermostat or aftermarket garbage? Oem only with thermostats

Secondly it sounds airbound. Bleed bleed bleed and bleed some more. Be sure all air is out of there. I purchased an airlift. Best tool ever bought. It vacuums down the cooling system and will show you if have leaks prior to filling the it fills the system for you completely air free. They run aroun 90 bucks
Old 04-13-2016, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
First question. Is it oem thermostat or aftermarket garbage? Oem only with thermostats

Secondly it sounds airbound. Bleed bleed bleed and bleed some more. Be sure all air is out of there. I purchased an airlift. Best tool ever bought. It vacuums down the cooling system and will show you if have leaks prior to filling the it fills the system for you completely air free. They run aroun 90 bucks
It's oem thermostat, i will ave to try bleed it again and see, I was wondering if my radiator is partially blocked
Old 04-14-2016, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when u fill the coolant i always start by adding to the upper rad hose so it backfills the block right to the thermostat. then I go and fill the rad which brings coolant to the front of the thermostat. then u bleed
Old 04-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do yu have any of the coolant hoses blocked off?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do yu have any of the coolant hoses blocked off?
Not really, I don't have the heater hose connected tho but it's not blocked, jus re route it to the head, I live in Jamaica so we don't use heater here
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cud a partially blocked radiator cause the problem I'm having? I was gonna rod out my radiator and see
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds airbound for sure to me or air is being introduced into the system. Overflow tank filled before running the engine?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds airbound for sure to me or air is being introduced into the system. Overflow tank filled before running the engine?
I fill the overflow bottle to the full line not to the top of the bottle
Old 04-14-2016, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's fine just wanted to be sure you aren't sucking air back in when cap is closed
Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that's fine just wanted to be sure you aren't sucking air back in when cap is closed
Oh ok, can my water pump cause this problem?