Notices

Is there oil pressure when turning over a new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there oil pressure when turning over a new engine?

Is there oil pressure when turning over a new engine? Does the starter not turn it over fast enough to get oil pressure?

This is what I was doing. I put a gauge on it. I still zero miles on the engine. I was turnning the engine over to prime the oil. I left the vtec line open. I turned it over and over. No oil. I got out my apexi gauge and hooked it up. The gauge came on needle went to the other side and back. Nothing, no reading. I took the oil filter off. There was no oil. I had everything replaced. Crank was turned, acl oversized bearings, type r pump, prodrive gear, gaskets, everything. I don't remember what the bearing specs were but I'm sure I checked them. Can it be any of the vaccum lines? I still have a couple off. I did get a little white smoke out of the header...

Modified by integramic at 5:57 AM 10/13/2004
Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got some looks but no answers. Going to start draining the oil and pulling the pan.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:58 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (integramic)

If you primed it for a while already and you are sure you have everything hooked up right as far as your lines go, start the car and look at the gauge.
If there is no oil pressure for like 5 seconds just shut it off. It won't hurt anything in the bottom end if you have assembly lube on all of the bearing surfaces and oil in the pan.

Remember thou oil pressure needs to be instantanious or you have a problem.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (newgsr)

yeah, it should be up in a few seconds of running
Old 10-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

Cranked on a fresh GSR rebuild today with the injectors unplugged for about 30 seconds, never got the 15 psig (?) required to shut off the idiot light. Got fed up and reconnected the injectors, figuring I'd just run it for a second, and had oil pressure in a tenth of a second after she fired.

I probably got some priming done cranking on it with the injectors disconnected, the oil just didn't make it far past the crank/rod journals. I'm sure most will agree it's a step that shouldn't be skipped.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (J. Davis)

Whenever I get ready to start a fresh engine, I pull off the valve cover and disable the ignition and fuel...
I then remove the plugs and have a friend crank it until I see oil come out of the cam covers and drizzle over the cam lobes...
It should be a steady stream kinda like peeing but not that strong...
It usually takes about 10 seconds until oil will reach the head,but once it does, you know your good...(those 10 seconds seem like an eternity everytime)
Then put the plugs back in re-install the valvecover and re-enable the ignition and fuel...
I feel this is safer than just starting the engine and hoping everything is all good.
Good luck!